LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Was Hostler really that bad?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Joe, in answer to your question: YES.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
The only reason that this question has validity in my mind is because nobody knows for sure how much Nolan meddled in the offense.

Perhaps our run run pas punt offense was due to the fact that Nolan couldn't keep his nose out of the offense. Even with an OC as exerienced as Turner it is reported that Nolan still meddled in the offense. Nolan probably had no where near the trust in Hostler as he did in Turner therefore causing him to meddle more in the offense and therefore make our offense worse than it should have actually been.

With that said, Hostler was still pretty bad, but just prob not as bad. Maybe we woulda had like th 28th ranked offense or something without Nolan.
I vividly remember watching the first game of the 2007 season. I posted a thread that said it was the most conservative vanilla game plan I had seen, and I said it was because Nolan had taken control of the offense and told Hostler to take no chances. He knew Hostler was inexperienced and wanted to duplicate the Ravens model of a conservative offense and tough defense and special teams. And it continued thru the season. We don't know what Hostler might have done because Nolan never gave him a chance. Nolan is a control freak - even Norv Turner complained. He gave Martz freedom only because Nolan's job was at stake, yet he still micro-managed Manusky on the defense to the bitter end. Good riddance, Mike.
Originally posted by Joecool:
We looked like we were doing quite well through the Steelers game in 2007. Then Smith got injured and we have Trent Dilfer who sucks. Then Hill comes in and we begin doing better again.

I just think back and remember Hostler using the spread offense in the Steelers game. Was it that he had crap at QB for most of the year?

Well he musta been that bad if they went and got Ted Tolner to be an Offensive consultant. That and they were only running a play twice during practice, even when the Offense failed on both attempts they moved on.

So I'm gonna say that Hostler was THE worst OC we have ever had.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by jsaniner:
I vividly remember watching the first game of the 2007 season. I posted a thread that said it was the most conservative vanilla game plan I had seen, and I said it was because Nolan had taken control of the offense and told Hostler to take no chances. He knew Hostler was inexperienced and wanted to duplicate the Ravens model of a conservative offense and tough defense and special teams. And it continued thru the season. We don't know what Hostler might have done because Nolan never gave him a chance. Nolan is a control freak - even Norv Turner complained. He gave Martz freedom only because Nolan's job was at stake, yet he still micro-managed Manusky on the defense to the bitter end. Good riddance, Mike.

And you still have yet to prove that Nolan took over the Offense. So far it's only speculation that Nolan did that.

If he did do that, I can unstersand it given that he was working with a Rookie OC who supposedly worked closely with Norv before Norv bolted from the team. I would have done the same thing.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

And you still have yet to prove that Nolan took over the Offense. So far it's only speculation that Nolan did that.

If he did do that, I can unstersand it given that he was working with a Rookie OC who supposedly worked closely with Norv before Norv bolted from the team. I would have done the same thing.

~Ceadder

Of course I can't 'prove' it, anymore than anyone on the board can 'prove' what is just an opinion. It's my interpretation of what happened. If you would have done the same thing, then you would be as bad a coach as Nolan, because obviously it didn't work. I'll say it again, Nolan is a control freak and good riddance.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Of course I can't 'prove' it, anymore than anyone on the board can 'prove' what is just an opinion. It's my interpretation of what happened. If you would have done the same thing, then you would be as bad a coach as Nolan, because obviously it didn't work. I'll say it again, Nolan is a control freak and good riddance.

Well I am undefeated in Madden on the highest level.

But even Walsh and Seifert meddled. It's a HCs' nature to do so when things ain't runnin smoothly.Did everything he try fail? Nope.

So maye you can cut Nolan a bit of slack?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by linkboy:
This game is the shining example of how badly Hostler was

49ers @ Seahawks 24-0

When he lined up Smith at WR and did a direct snap to Battle on 3rd and 8 inside of his own 10, I turned the game off.

Yah that was also another shining 12 for 28 performance from Alex Leaf. But, Hosteler does suck and has no business coaching offense when he is a former defensive back anyway. Nolan was so brilliant, he hired him as QB coach lol.

And if I recall that game, Alex had a throwing shoulder that wasn't attached, but you know, that's no big deal.
  • PA9erFan
  • Info N/A
Is this really a thread?

I'm guessing the poster is either a relative of Jeff Hostler or Hostler himself.
  • PA9erFan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
This game is the shining example of how badly Hostler was

49ers @ Seahawks 24-0

When he lined up Smith at WR and did a direct snap to Battle on 3rd and 8 inside of his own 10, I turned the game off.

Yah that was also another shining 12 for 28 performance from Alex Leaf. But, Hosteler does suck and has no business coaching offense when he is a former defensive back anyway. Nolan was so brilliant, he hired him as QB coach lol.

And if I recall that game, Alex had a throwing shoulder that wasn't attached, but you know, that's no big deal.

I think that game was my lowest point ever as a Niners fan. I remember making a total fool out of myself at the bar I was watching it at that night, and telling a guy with an Alex Smith jersey on to burn it. I almost cried after that game.

[ Edited by PA9erFan on Feb 15, 2009 at 08:13:49 ]

Hostler was clueless, the worst OC by far in Niner history. That should answer your question.
Nolan wanted an inexperienced OC that he could control and he certainly got one. I don't buy the excuse that there were NOBODY else he could have chosen once Turner left him out to dry.

It's my opinion that Hostler was there merely to make suggestions but ultimately, Nolan made the calls and he was so worried about turnovers that he kept it plain and simple, hoping that his defense would be strong enough to keep it close and win those games in the end.

Unfortunately his DEFENSE let him down. Tollner was brought in when things were getting a little hot and it began to look like his job was on the line.

Hopefully, Singletary isn't making the same mistake by bringing in someone who is not known for having a winning record. I know he want's to RUN the ball and prove how tough his team is ... but it that likely to happen any time soon?

Shall we prepare ourselves for the run, run, pass, punt offense?

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Feb 16, 2009 at 17:44:40 ]
You don't know a thing about Raye if you think he's a run, run, pass, guy. Jimmy will mix it up. He's very smart.
yeah, that BAD with an F!
Watch that season over again specifically the offense and tell me if you really need to ask that question. im not even going to give a answer to that.
Share 49ersWebzone