LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 177 users in the forums

Was Hostler really that bad?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
When your offense is ranked 32 out of well 32, then yes, that is bad.

-9fA

cant really argue with that
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by FGore2121:
yes.

yes he was that bad
Originally posted by Joecool:
We looked like we were doing quite well through the Steelers game in 2007. Then Smith got injured and we have Trent Dilfer who sucks. Then Hill comes in and we begin doing better again.

I just think back and remember Hostler using the spread offense in the Steelers game. Was it that he had crap at QB for most of the year?

No, it's because he had crap for ability to run an offense.

We did not look like we were doing "quite well" through the Steelers game. I don't know what games you were watching. I have them all recorded and transferred to my comp, I just watched the first few games the other day. We did not look good.

-9fA
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
His play selection was poor, but how can anyone win a game when your playcalling is so predictable, it was all RUN, RUN and then we were always forced into a 3rd and long situation with TRENT DILFER as QB .....there was no chance of developing an explosive offense with Dilfer, when Smith went down I was praying for Shaun Hill to get his shot...but it happened WAY too late....

But yeah, Hostler didn't strike me as a creative playcaller..

Actually, Hostler did try some creative, even wacky, playcalls in every game. The problem was there seemed to be no rhyme or reason for when plays like that were called. I recall one double reverse from within their own ten tard line that ended up almost a safety when stuffed for a loss. Those are the kinds of things that were head scratchers to me.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
We looked like we were doing quite well through the Steelers game in 2007. Then Smith got injured and we have Trent Dilfer who sucks. Then Hill comes in and we begin doing better again.

I just think back and remember Hostler using the spread offense in the Steelers game. Was it that he had crap at QB for most of the year?

No, it's because he had crap for ability to run an offense.

We did not look like we were doing "quite well" through the Steelers game. I don't know what games you were watching. I have them all recorded and transferred to my comp, I just watched the first few games the other day. We did not look good.

But everyone says Alex Smith played very well those first 3 games and he went 2-1.
Jim Hostler has commented on this...
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Let's see... Run Run Run Punt... Run Run Screen Punt... Run Run Pass Punt... Run Run Run Punt.

Uh... Yeah... I think so.

how is this going to be different than Raye.......?
Originally posted by FGore2121:

-9fA

cant really argue with that

Does that mean our offense was the worst?
Originally posted by rapid4:
He was WORSE than that bad, WAY WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

seriously though hostler should of been executed for the plays he called. The nfl should of sued him for making one of their teams look like a junior high school team. Then he should of been hanged for the crime of making us niner fans suffer that year.
He certainly changed things up with Hill in there. I don't know, I thought he was having a solid start for a first time coordinator in those 3 games. I also think Nolan had too much control in the plays being called or the plan being applied.

Who knows.

That was AFTER the addition to Ted Tollner to the booth calling plays.
Originally posted by linkboy:
This game is the shining example of how badly Hostler was

49ers @ Seahawks 24-0

When he lined up Smith at WR and did a direct snap to Battle on 3rd and 8 inside of his own 10, I turned the game off.

Your lucky you could turn it off. I flew all the way to seattle to watch it happen.
whomever started this thread obviously didnt watch the niners for the past 3 years.
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Let's see... Run Run Run Punt... Run Run Screen Punt... Run Run Pass Punt... Run Run Run Punt.

Uh... Yeah... I think so.

He really had them guessing on 3rd down. Defenses knew what he was going to do before he did.
Share 49ersWebzone