LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Opinion on Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think its very clear Lawson is above average as an OLB. The ONLY missing piece in his game is the passrush. I think that part of his game will improve, but he will never be a D.Ware type. However, watch him in the Bears game, he is getting pressure, he just needs that final move or second step to get the passer. He is way above average in everything else.

Agreed.
very good stopping the run, play good coverage, but SUCKS at rushing the passer, he's far from a bust though
Originally posted by B650:
I think its very clear Lawson is above average as an OLB. The ONLY missing piece in his game is the passrush. I think that part of his game will improve, but he will never be a D.Ware type. However, watch him in the Bears game, he is getting pressure, he just needs that final move or second step to get the passer. He is way above average in everything else.

Agreed.

How the hell can he be above average when the missing piece of his game happens to be the most important part of the job description of his position.
Originally posted by znk916:

Agreed.

How the hell can he be above average when the missing piece of his game happens to be the most important part of the job description of his position.

If he had pass rushing skills, he would be a great LB; because of his good cover skills, and run containment. Thus, making him only above average at this point of his career.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Agreed.

If he had pass rushing skills, he would be a great LB; because of his good cover skills, and run containment. Thus, making him only above average at this point of his career.

That's like saying Alex Smith is an above average QB because he's a godly blocker.

[ Edited by znk916 on Nov 22, 2009 at 9:48 AM ]

Agreed.

That's like saying Alex Smith is an above average QB because he's a godly blocker.

Ummm...Okay (i'll try it in layman's terms). As a LB, your job (unless you are only a pure 3rd down pass rusher) is to play the run well, cover well, and pass rush well. As a QB, your job is to throw the football to your WR, or RB, or TE, and hand it off to your RB, not to block.

Your argument, is the equivalent of calling Justin Smith bad, because he doesn't catch TD's, or doesn't kick field goals.

[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Nov 22, 2009 at 10:01 AM ]

Agreed.

Ummm...Okay (i'll try it in layman's terms). As a LB, your job (unless you are only a pure 3rd down pass rusher) is to play the run well, cover well, and pass rush well. As a QB, your job is to throw the football to your WR, or RB, or TE, and hand it off to your RB, not to block.

Your argument, is the equivalent of calling Justin Smith bad, because he doesn't catch TD's, or doesn't kick field goals.

You beat me to it. That analogy of Alex Smith being a godly blocker was terrible. That isn't Smith's job. It seems many fans could care less about what else the LB does, as long as he gets sacks, something that happens less than 5% of the time for even the greatest pass rushers (sacks vs. actual pass attempts).
Manny doing another awesome job today oh wait

Fail.

The WHOLE defense sucked.

ur dumb enough

It's Manny's 4th year. I'm sorry folks, but if you are still hoping that Manny develops as an effective pass rusher, then Shaun Hill will develop a spiral on his throws, or Battle will finally develop as a 1,000 yard receiver.

Face it folks, Manny is not going to get sacks.

Agreed.

He has done just as well as Haralson rushing the passer.
Manny isn't a bad pass rusher. I see him in the backfield a lot this year. His problem is the same as the team's: finishing. He hasn't finished his rushes and I think he needs a guy on the opposite side that helps out like he had in college with Mario Williams.

He's not bad, hes just not great either.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Manny isn't a bad pass rusher. I see him in the backfield a lot this year. His problem is the same as the team's: finishing. He hasn't finished his rushes and I think he needs a guy on the opposite side that helps out like he had in college with Mario Williams.

It's not that difficult to get into the backfield if all you are doing is rushing up 8 yards deep. His problem is that he can't turn it back towards the QB.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by darkknight49:

It's not that difficult to get into the backfield if all you are doing is rushing up 8 yards deep. His problem is that he can't turn it back towards the QB.

if it wasn't that hard then every DLineman would have a sack on every play. Once again you fail!

Is there anything you even like about the 49ers? You seem to hate just about everything about the 49ers so why are you even a fan?
Share 49ersWebzone