There are 241 users in the forums

Opinion on Manny Lawson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by smileyman:

I understand that, but another key part in the 3-4 for the OLB is to not give up the edge. Lawson has been if not the best pretty damn close to being the best OLB this year at not giving away the edge to a RB. Just look at what happened against Ten with harolson

Haralson is bad at the edge. I think he's better at pass coverage than is Lawson.

WHAT!! no way in hell Harolson is better in coverage.

Huh. I thought he had done a decent job, but looking at the stats he surely hasn't. ProFootballFocus has Haralson ranked as below average while Lawson is above average. Interestingly enough they think that Haralson is a pretty good pass rusher.

Haralson

Lawson
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He's not a bust but Parys is better.
Lawson has 29 tackles, 2.5 sacks, and 1 funble recovery. Haralson has 19 tackles, 1 sack, and no fumbles.. Stats aren't everything, but come on.

I understand that, but another key part in the 3-4 for the OLB is to not give up the edge. Lawson has been if not the best pretty damn close to being the best OLB this year at not giving away the edge to a RB. Just look at what happened against Ten with harolson

Haralson is bad at the edge. I think he's better at pass coverage than is Lawson.

WHAT!! no way in hell Harolson is better in coverage.

Huh. I thought he had done a decent job, but looking at the stats he surely hasn't. ProFootballFocus has Haralson ranked as below average while Lawson is above average. Interestingly enough they think that Haralson is a pretty good pass rusher.

Haralson

Lawson

Harolson is the better pass rusher of the two. but Harolson has been a huge disappointment this year when it comes to rushing the passer
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Smith2Davis:
He's not a bust but Parys is better.

Parys is better at what??

I love both of these guys but Manny can rush the QB,cover RB's,TE's,and even some WR's(remember the int against STL covering Bruce?)make int's,block a FG and has more speed and range.

Parys make look like a better pass rusher(8 sacks) vs Manny(3 sacks) but that is by design because Manny is expected to more often than not cover those TE's,RB's,etc.Parys cannot cover like Manny can.

With that being said I hope P.Haralson will record double digit sacks next year playing/starting a full season(he has the potential) and Manny will be fully recovered and continue to play at a high level.

I truly believe these two can become Pro bowlers.

And for those who say Manny Lawson is bust after playing in only 32 games,starting 24(and being productive in those games) really shows their lack of insight and knowledge of the game of football

I know you said this a long time ago but its one of the dumbest things I've ever read on the Zone, especially because you claim to say that other people have no insight when its obvious that you yourself do not...

These are some of the things said about Manny when he came out

NFL Combine Stats: 40-yard dash - 4.43, vertical jump - 39.5"

Manny Lawson is one of the truly elite athletes in college football. Not only has he found time to play both end and linebacker, he’s also a track standout having competed in the long jump and hurdles during his time at NC St. As a linebacker in 2002, Lawson had 35 tackles, with one of them coming for loss. As a part time starter in 2003, he improved on all his numbers. He totaled 53 tackles, seven for loss, with three sacks. Lawson made the switch to DE in 2004, and became a full time starter for the first time in his career. On the year, he finished with 50 tackles, 12 for loss, and seven sacks. As a senior, Manny put it all together. He finished the season with career highs across the board: 58 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and 10.5 sacks.

Lawson is an absolute freak of an athlete. He has excellent agility, closing speed, and jumping ability. Pound for pound, he may also be the strongest player in the draft. There is not a single physical trait he lacks. On the football field, he is an emerging talent. He did not make too many plays early on, but once he moved to defensive end, he started to show his pass rushing ability. His upside is tremendous, and he could be a standout pass rusher at the next level. Lawson is also a standout special teamer.

SO--- Knowing that people around the league were thinking that this kid had major upside, the NINERS picked him at #22 in the first round... not top ten money or nothing but first round nonetheless...

LB's picked in the first round are picked for 2 reasons--- either they are Patrick Willis types who never come off the field, or they are Merriman types who get after the passer... (And we know Lawson was picked to be the latter, I dont care if he doesnt come off the field he is NO WILLIS!!)

REGARDLESS of Lawson's qualities, (i think he's ok) he was picked to be something he is obviously not. Even this would have been OK if the NINERS had other pass rushers.... BUT WE DO NOT!!!! We havent had a pash rusher IN YEARS!!!! YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO!! If you are picked in the first round, and dont produce in the manner in which you were picked for, on a team that desperately needed a pash rusher, then you are BY DEFINITION

A BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Wow, most of ppl are talking about Manny Lawson? Lawson is not very popluars of Football player.. He look still ok to played of the field football.. I think, Spike, Brigg and Wihlhem #57 are better than Lawson's LB..

think me talk you no clue about football. Lawsone be beast one OLB against the run year 2009. He do good job taking edge away from running guy with football.

brrr!! Lawson is not beast because he didn't have in the league.. Willis is damn the best league and very beast that great blitz football. I really enjoyed to watch it. Willis has 88 TKL, 25 ASST, 2.5 Sack, 2 FF.. Lawson has 40 TKL, 12 ASST, 2.5 Sack, 1 FF.. Willis has best the top defense, 2nd is Goldson, 3rd is M.Lewis, 4th is T.Spikes and 5th is Lawson.. i know ur favorite player is Lawson? brrrr.. he look ok to play a football!
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:55 PM ]
Wow, most of ppl are talking about Manny Lawson? Lawson is not very popluars of Football player.. He look still ok to played of the field football.. I think, Spike, Brigg and Wihlhem #57 are better than Lawson's LB..

think me talk you no clue about football. Lawsone be beast one OLB against the run year 2009. He do good job taking edge away from running guy with football.

brrr!! Lawson is not beast because he didn't have in the league.. Willis is damn the best league and very beast that great blitz football. I really enjoyed to watch it. Willis has 88 TKL, 25 ASST, 2.5 Sack, 2 FF.. Lawson has 40 TKL, 12 ASST, 2.5 Sack, 1 FF.. Willis has best the top defense, 2nd is Goldson, 3rd is M.Lewis, 4th is T.Spikes and 5th is Lawson.. i know ur favorite player is Lawson? brrrr.. he look ok to play a football!

right not you are. My favorite beast player is Willis and Gore. Again you try to fail
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I like Lawson, great against the run, good pressure, long and fast and good in coverage. I think he is an average OLB with a chance to be above average or good. He won't ever be great but I am glad to have him on the team. I would like to keep him on the field this year and next, perhaps after.

right not you are. My favorite beast player is Willis and Gore. Again you try to fail

ok ur fool me.. anyway.. ur said lawson is beast? haha ur not make sense it..
[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Nov 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM ]
  • Dino
  • Veteran
hahahahahahahahahaha

ok ur fool me.. anyway.. ur said lawson is beast? haha ur make not sense it..

I fool you cause I am not fool. Lawson beast run defense better than Harolson against runners of football

WTF is going on here?!
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
WTF is going on here?!

hell if I know
WTF is going on here?!

hell if I know

huh? Lolz..
WTF is going on here?!

hell if I know

huh? Lolz..

I think its very clear Lawson is above average as an OLB. The ONLY missing piece in his game is the passrush. I think that part of his game will improve, but he will never be a D.Ware type. However, watch him in the Bears game, he is getting pressure, he just needs that final move or second step to get the passer. He is way above average in everything else.
Share 49ersWebzone