There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Opinion on Manny Lawson

People here are obsessed with sacks. Most here thinks that if he doesn't have 10 plus sacks, he's of no use
Manny will be here for a long time, methinks.
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by plinius9mm:
People here are obsessed with sacks. Most here thinks that if he doesn't have 10 plus sacks, he's of no use

Yeah, if people actually watched the games they would actually see that the times Manny got in the backfield, he'd usually make a huge play on the RB or pressure the QB to throw the ball away. IMO, pressures are ALMOST as good as sacks in that they get the QB thinking that they're coming for him and that he has to account for them on every play. It also gets the QB uneasy and sometimes influences bad passes which turn into INTs.

So, Manny's sack totals do not tell the whole story about his play. Stop looking at the stats and start looking at how exceptional he is in coverage for a LB and how he snuffs out plays in the backfield as well as chasing the QB.
Originally posted by wshaheen321:
Originally posted by plinius9mm:

Yeah, if people actually watched the games they would actually see that the times Manny got in the backfield, he'd usually make a huge play on the RB or pressure the QB to throw the ball away. IMO, pressures are ALMOST as good as sacks in that they get the QB thinking that they're coming for him and that he has to account for them on every play. It also gets the QB uneasy and sometimes influences bad passes which turn into INTs.

So, Manny's sack totals do not tell the whole story about his play. Stop looking at the stats and start looking at how exceptional he is in coverage for a LB and how he snuffs out plays in the backfield as well as chasing the QB.

Its hard to base performance off of stats in football. You have to watch the actual game to have a real perspective on a player.
  • kodiak49er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
I've said it from day one.

Lawson is an absolute freak of nature.

A GREAT PICK IMO.

His raw athleticism makes him an asset in any position.

Once again, as I like to point out in threads like these.....

LAWSON
- Height: 6-5 Weight: 240 Age: 24

Born: 7/3/1984 Goldsboro , NC

College: North Carolina State

Experience: 3rd season

3 sacks 45 tackles this season

Julian Peterson

Height: 6-3 Weight: 240 Age: 30

Born: 7/28/1978 Hillcrest Heights , MD

College: Michigan State

Experience: 9th season

High School: Crossland HS [Temple Hills, MD]

5 sacks 80 tackles........no blocked field goals

yep yep...blocked field goals are the kicker lol.

i love manny, hes an all around player. alot of our guys just dont look so good cuz they need help from the other positions. i dont really expect both olb to be amazing pass rushers, one should be, the other, should have the ability to tackle really well and play good in coverage. i think hes one of our best players, and see no reason to sit him at all. plus we have the 2 fastest LB when hes on the field
Manny didn't pan out as advertised pre-draft. He's too lanky, doesn't have the powerful base to compete with OTs. He can't pass rush for s**t IMO. But he is a player. The biggest way you tell is by watching his run support.
He doesn't get a lot of sacks, but he makes a lot of big plays behind the line of scrimmage on RBs and in coverage. Remember. he was coming off an ACL and more or less benched for the first 7 games this season in Nolan's big nickle. If we draft an OLB early, it won't be to replace Lawson. Plus, the guy blocks field goals.
I want to see how Manny Lawson plays in 09. It takes two years too fully recover from ACL surgery. Some I'm not ready to call him a bust not quite yet
Let's not forget that before Manny got hurt last year he was a big reason why we started off 2-0 and had a fast, aggresive Defense.

Lawson > Haralson

2009 Niners will be back and so will Manny!!
Manny Lawson does everything outside of rushing the passer very good.
this will be Manny's defining season
Manny is just another example of underutilized talent.
I would not mind drafting manny's replacement this draft. Unless the niners play a 4-3 Manny's spot should be up for grabs. He has never flashed the ability to pressure the QB at his spot. When you look at the chargers, cowboys, steelers, ravens and any other decent 3-4 team both OLB's can pressure the QB. Manny is solid against the run and in pass coverage. He limits how the team can come after the QB.
Manny is the weak on the defense. He does not fit the scheme at all.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Manny will explode this season.

Be up there w/ Willis in tackles.