There are 98 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Opinion on Manny Lawson

Originally posted by Chief49er:
I honestly think Lawson has had a string of bad luck. The kid can play ball, he will play ball.

I feel this year will be his break out year, I have complete confidence in him. As an all around LB, coverage, run and pass rush.

wasnt he drafter cuz he had 10.5 sack? I know he had Mario helping out but still. we was going after the QB, Something he didt do much with us
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by Chief49er:
I honestly think Lawson has had a string of bad luck. The kid can play ball, he will play ball.

I feel this year will be his break out year, I have complete confidence in him. As an all around LB, coverage, run and pass rush.

wasnt he drafter cuz he had 10.5 sack? I know he had Mario helping out but still. we was going after the QB, Something he didt do much with us

Injury and usage are his downfall, I think he will be fine personally. It's only from watching and putting 1 and 1 together, but who knows I've been wrong before.

I thought Mike Nolan was going to work out to, well at first I did.
He would be a better pass rusher if he had a little help inside.... we need a true nose tackle or we will NEVR have consistent success in a 3-4 PERIOD.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
we need a true nose tackle or we will NEVR have consistent success in a 3-4 PERIOD.

EXACTLY !!!
Lawson is a good player for us............it will be interesting to see how he is used this year..............Coach Sing wants to utilize him as a pass rusher as well. NOT A BUST
Originally posted by niners4life:
He's coming off of an ACL injury which takes a year or 2 to fully recover from, he has good speed to cover TE's and RB's out of the back field and with another year under his belt i think he'll be fine.

Ditto. He is quick, good in coverage and a SOLID tackler. Once he gets his maws on you, you're going down. Before he got hurt he made a couple of great tackles where he caught the RB from behind while they were still behind the line of scrimmage. That is fast.
No way in hell is he a bust. last year was basically yr 2 for him because of the injury, and plus it was like a learning experience for him since he's never had a major surgery. this year i feel he will be a stud and this is the year people should judge him, but in no way in hell is he a bust. he's got the freakin talent just waiting to bust out! this could be his year! we will resign him.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Smith2Davis:
He's not a bust but Parys is better.

Parys is better at what??

I love both of these guys but Manny can rush the QB,cover RB's,TE's,and even some WR's(remember the int against STL covering Bruce?)make int's,block a FG and has more speed and range.

Parys make look like a better pass rusher(8 sacks) vs Manny(3 sacks) but that is by design because Manny is expected to more often than not cover those TE's,RB's,etc.Parys cannot cover like Manny can.

With that being said I hope P.Haralson will record double digit sacks next year playing/starting a full season(he has the potential) and Manny will be fully recovered and continue to play at a high level.

I truly believe these two can become Pro bowlers.

And for those who say Manny Lawson is bust after playing in only 32 games,starting 24(and being productive in those games) really shows their lack of insight and knowledge of the game of football

Rush the QB???? Not in the NFL he hasn't. Haralson is easily the better pass rusher. But I'd give the edge to Manny in coverage and SP team play. Against the run, I'd say they were about even last season.

Simply put,Manny can do it all,including rushing the passer.Up to this point they haven't used him as the primary PR and probably don't plan to.But yes "he has rushed the QB in the NFL"(3 sacks in 08,2.5 in 06).
I'm not knocking Parys at all,in fact I've liked him ever since he was drafted and not just over the past year.I could tell from the beginning he has the talent.

Yes Parys is the better PR but also that is what he was primarily used as after Sing took over.Imagine how many sacks he could get playing the whole season!In the run game if the RB gets by Parys he doesn't really have the speed to possibly catch him from behind,Manny does.

Manny and Parys were not utilized correctly under Nolan(idiot) but will be under Singletary.If you noticed,after Sing took over both started and played in every game the rest of the season.

Manny and Parys are both young(24,25) with alot of talent and are only going to get better and I'm glad we have both of them on our team along with Willis of course!
We are pretty set at linebacker,the next one needing replacing is Spikes.
  • Faithful6
  • Info N/A
Lawson has 5 and a half sacks in 3 years. 'Nuff said.
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Faithful6:

Yup . . . but he's a BEAST!!!

[ Edited by NinerNZ on Mar 7, 2009 at 04:19:09 ]

Ya but he only rushed the QB 6 times in 3 years as well. I think Manny, if healthy all season, will have at least 6 sacks next season.
Manny is awesome!!!

He has speed, strength, explosiveness and he can jump out of the building.

The hit on him has always been that he has trouble shedding blockers at the NFL level. If we had a better nose tackle and brought more of a rush up the middle (ILBs too) then he would have more options for moves to get past those blockers.

As I remember, he was making a lot of plays in the backfield in the first couple of games in 2007, before he got hurt. I expect a lot from him this year.

By the way I expect Ahman Brooks to emerge as a dominant ILB to replace Spikes eventually. It is great that he gets a couple of years to settle down and learn from top notch mentors.

I am not against drafting another pass rushing OLB this year, but

Harleson-Brooks-Willis-Lawson

looks like a pretty scary group for years to come.

yeah but how many games has he played in those 3 years? How many times has he blitzed in those games? If he's not asked to rush the passer then how are you going to grade him based on sacks?

I think Parys is the better pass rusher but Manny is more verstile and he could be just as good as Parys but he's asked to cover more. With that said Manny isn't a bust but he hasn't lived up to being a 1st rd pick neither but he has been injured and he was a DE in college.

I think our pass rush will be better next year even if we don't upgrade at OLB. Manny and Parys are getting better each year. look at Harrison from the Steelers. Took him several years to become the player he is today.
It takes athletes a year and a half to recover from an ACL...

In 2007 his first two games...Lawson was all over the place...then the injury...

He will be the player we expected him to be this year, count on it.