There are 379 users in the forums

Eric Heitmann is a Good Football Player

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i have posted many times that baas=heitmann=snyder=Rags, and wallace is in there somewhere( i guess). Those are all fine backup OLs, but i honestly don't see a starter amongst them. Look at our OL pass protection for the last 8 yrs(or longer), and it speaks for itself...poorly. Now, i had not been a fan of heitmann like MD, but i will have to concede Corva's point: put a talented guy like Iupati next to him, and get rachal back to where he was before Foerster somehow ruined him, and maybe, just maybe what MD sees, and others of us don't will become apparent if heitmann is surrounded by talent...real, starting talent.

I still have to see chilo come back to where he was while at USC, and upoti has to prove he can do more than be a force on pulling plays. Personally, i think he is the one who gets to the pro level before AD, and it may be within 4 games or less. His films are breathtaking, to say the least. Stand him beside heitmann , and let rachal take care of the other side, maybe heitmann is a bonafide starter. What is fair to say is that on a pi** poor OL, heitmann just didn't consistently show me anything other than being a good backup...who was starting. If this is truly a simple lack of talent on both sides of C, then heitmann should have a banner yr. If he doesn't...well, then MD may rethink his heitmann proclamations, and we will need to burn yet another 1st rd pick on the final piece of the OL... Center next yr. Jeez, I sure hope not.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
i have posted many times that baas=heitmann=snyder=Rags, and wallace is in there somewhere( i guess). Those are all fine backup OLs, but i honestly don't see a starter amongst them. Look at our OL pass protection for the last 8 yrs(or longer), and it speaks for itself...poorly. Now, i had not been a fan of heitmann like MD, but i will have to concede Corva's point: put a talented guy like Iupati next to him, and get rachal back to where he was before Foerster somehow ruined him, and maybe, just maybe what MD sees, and others of us don't will become apparent if heitmann is surrounded by talent...real, starting talent.

I still have to see chilo come back to where he was while at USC, and upoti has to prove he can do more than be a force on pulling plays. Personally, i think he is the one who gets to the pro level before AD, and it may be within 4 games or less. His films are breathtaking, to say the least. Stand him beside heitmann , and let rachal take care of the other side, maybe heitmann is a bonafide starter. What is fair to say is that on a pi** poor OL, heitmann just didn't consistently show me anything other than being a good backup...who was starting. If this is truly a simple lack of talent on both sides of C, then heitmann should have a banner yr. If he doesn't...well, then MD may rethink his heitmann proclamations, and we will need to burn yet another 1st rd pick on the final piece of the OL... Center next yr. Jeez, I sure hope not.

The only reason I started this thread a year and a half ago was due to all the nonsense on the WZ about Heitmann being this terrible, lousy player, that we should start Wallace, Baas, Aunt Jemima, anybody over him. Any unbiased observer of the game could easily refute these silly statements and analysis.

Now, after two years running as our top OL, according to the local beat writers, and Sando of ESPN, there is no doubt that he has been a terrific player for this franchise. Meanwhile, Baas and Wallace are about to be distant memories for this team.

Now, will Heitmann play at high level again this year? Who knows? He might play well, and with a winning franchise gain some Pro-Bowl consideration, or maybe his game will slide, just like Alan Faneca's game slid last year. We are talking about a guy in his 30's now, and this game is pretty rough. But, there are not too many centers who are team captains, and hopefully his leadership and solid play can boost the game of the two pups next to him. We'll soon see.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

The only reason I started this thread a year and a half ago was due to all the nonsense on the WZ about Heitmann being this terrible, lousy player, that we should start Wallace, Baas, Aunt Jemima, anybody over him. Any unbiased observer of the game could easily refute these silly statements and analysis.

Now, after two years running as our top OL, according to the local beat writers, and Sando of ESPN, there is no doubt that he has been a terrific player for this franchise. Meanwhile, Baas and Wallace are about to be distant memories for this team.

Now, will Heitmann play at high level again this year? Who knows? He might play well, and with a winning franchise gain some Pro-Bowl consideration, or maybe his game will slide, just like Alan Faneca's game slid last year. We are talking about a guy in his 30's now, and this game is pretty rough. But, there are not too many centers who are team captains, and hopefully his leadership and solid play can boost the game of the two pups next to him. We'll soon see.

Dude, you're not waffling in your support of Heitmann, are you?

Maybe some Aunt Jemima would be good.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Heitmann's doing fine.

I'll never forgive him or Larry Allen for the Rocky Bernard incident though.

that incident is what started the chain of events that led to....

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Waffling? Me?

You know that every year stands on its own, and father time can be cruel in a short window of time in the NFL. I expect Heitmann to play at a high level in 2010, just like in 2008 and 2009. But, you never know. At some point, the skills begin to erode as the body breaks down.

We will soon see.

Waffling? Me?

You know that every year stands on its own, and father time can be cruel in a short window of time in the NFL. I expect Heitmann to play at a high level in 2010, just like in 2008 and 2009. But, you never know. At some point, the skills begin to erode as the body breaks down.

We will soon see.

P.S. If I retitled this article in May 2010, it would be more like "Eric Heitmann is a VERY good football player...duh"

Cheers.
Wow this thread yet lives. I don't hate Heitmann he's just not a very good Center. He's a pretty good Guard, just not a good Center.

You can bring every stat you've got "proving otherwise" but NONE of them can refute this.

Rocky Bernard going arial on Alex, unblocked and untouched, right by Heitmann. Bernard was HIS assignment and being that he CALLS the assignments that is not even at the level of "good". He's serviceable as a back up and as someone that can bring along an untested player. But he's NOT Starter material up the middle.

I don't give a truck what Martz believes. Foerster sucks as an OLine coach. We know this already. One of the reasons why is he couldn't identify the weak link. Same thing goes with Warhop before Foerster.

I respect Madden but he is wrong. I've seen too many blown assignments during games. Frank often gets wrapped up in the backfield as he's taking the exchange. The only reason we get ranked as high as we do is because Frank is an excellent 2nd move Back and when he can get into Space he doesn't stick around.

Heitmann needs to slide over where he doesn't have any pressure on him and he can concentrate on one task. He may be a genius but he's not a Center. Not a good one anyway. He was only supposed to be there for the short term. Instead he's been there for way way way way way far too long.

~Ceadder
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Marking this post for my strong opinion on David Baas that I do not have to commit to at this point but can look like a genius come the regular season should it pan out my way.
I think this goes here.

Originally posted by redrathman:
I think this goes here.

Too easy.
I think it's about time for this.
  • buck
  • Veteran
This thread has run its coursel

I am waiting for your anual statment on your draft board.

Waffling? Me?

We will soon see.

P.S. If I retitled this article in May 2010, it would be more like "Eric Heitmann is a VERY good football player...duh"

Cheers.

Unfortunately, "good" or even "VERY good" isn't good enough anymore.

For me, a recent replay of the Minnesota game on NFL Network revealed Heitmann's problem.

Remember, Niners were up, with less than two minutes to go, and only needed a first down to seal the win.

Third and short, and they call a dive for Coffee to get the six inches or whatever they needed. Heitmann gets stood up and pushed back by Minnesota's DT, the bigger of the Williamses, who then tackles Coffee for a loss. Like so many times before over the past six years, the Niners cannot get a foot when they need it on a short yardage third or fourth down.

To me, Heitmann was as responsible for that loss as Roman. Roman just happened to be there when Favre threw the TD pass with six seconds to go. A minute or so before that, Heitmann failed to get low and get leverage on DT Williams, and failed to drive him back the six inches that would have allowed Coffee to get the first down. Heitmann had every advantage. He knew the play, he knew the snap count, he had the jump, yet he hit Williams too high and Williams turns the tables on him, drives Heitmann back, and tackles Coffee for a loss.

"Good" and "very good" didn't cut it--Heitmann needed to reach down and get some greatness to make the play. He didn't and you know what happened after that.

It is no surprise to some that the new OL coaches are looking at and trying out a potential backup, or replacement, for Heitmann.

(Perhaps just for short yardage situations. Imagine Staley, Iupati, Baas, A. Davis, and Boone as a goal line/short yardage OL.)

Seems like there's competition at every position, including Center, and for good reason.

Time for Heitmann to step up and start getting the most out of his ability. Heitmann looks far too much like Snyder, to me. Out of shape and playing too high, especially when it counts. IMHO.
Share 49ersWebzone