• redwoodniner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erFaithful:
Originally posted by WildTurkey:

Deja you!
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Isolated for the last 3+ wks from TV, radio, sports news ....heck, just about anything i am interested in, return home and there on the first page is the amazing Dog's defense of heitmann. From what little i have read on the web covering the time i was gone, it appears heitmann comported himself well. Please don't be offended, Dog, but as i said a month ago, heitmann may be a good C, but is he good enough?

i actually got to see one Tv show while hospitalized, and it happened to be the Bears game(Cal) in the "whatever bowl". i saw a 3yr all american, Mack(i believe) who has started at C for Cal last 3 yrs. It literally looked like an anvil swatting gnats when he blocked. Then again, the guy's
mammoth, and outweighs everyone else so .... But the question i have for you , Dog , is , was heitmann that kind of dominating player in college , or was he just a good center? Of course, Mack was made to look better by that little guy Javid Best, who literally ran behind Mack all night. In short, Mack looked like the kind of guy i would love to see playing C for us. But no question, just his size gave him a huge advantage over everyone else. That said, Dog , you could have run for 150 yds behind Mack. What i would like to know is, is heitmann that kind of C, or is he just a passable C for the 9ers.

"you
build a team thru the lines"is a tired worn out cliche...which, incidentally is totally true. So we have proved that rachal is the pancake man and no sacks allowed type guy many of us saw while he was at USC. Staley looks promising and hopefully next yr will turn into an OT like rachal at OG. We have no RT. We have a great backup in snyder at multiple positions, some like baas(altho i am still not convinced he can routinely play great), and then there is heitmann. Wallace to my knowledge never suited up so there must be something he doesn't have that the coaches want. So the question: is heitmann the C we need to become an intimidating OL or is he just adequate , able to make most nfl squads?

Yesterday i learned that Big MIke was signed as HC(tho i don't know for how long), and that we won 4 of our last 5 under him. Also learned that Pioli is being courted by detroit and others, shanahan got axed, cowher may be available if he gets full control, and also learned that parcells and sparano literally turned miami 180 degrees around, ravens coach got his guys from nowhere to a playoff win, mike smith turned the atlanta team around, whisenhunt did a 180 with the woeful Cards, and bigMIke returned professionalism to the 49ers on field and off. Going down the rosters, the one thing that stands out is the stellar OLs all the above teams have come up with. So again, Dog , my question: is heitmann good enough to give us an OL anchored by a C who is capable of making this one of the best OLs in football, or is he just another good C, who can start?

Obviously we don't start at C, we start at RT...and again, it better be a guy with rachal's talents, not just a guy who can maybe start. Then we go down the list and get to C where the question is , "is heitmann great enough to anchor an OL that has to be terrific ...if we are thinking of returning to something other than mediocrity."

Finally, a thot about bigMike, who i like, but i am under - impressed with his non existent credentials as OC, DC, GM, HOFO, or HC. Yes i like him. Yes he brot a semblance of order and heart to a team that noln had gutted. But is he really the guy we should have signed? Somehow looking at guys like pioli, parcells, whisenhunt, mike smith, sparano...i kinda wished we had kept our powder dry before pulling the trigger. But, just an opinion , and what the heck do i know?

Man, it is great to be back in the world of being informed. Solitary sucks.

Good point I wouldn't doubt that Singletary will change our line around since were changing styles. No doubt I'm tired of being mediocre we need change. Sounds like a clever idea.

Mack is a beast I hope we can draft the dude

If Mack is still Available come our second pick
we should pick him
Hands down best Available player in the second round

I totally agree with you. I wouldn't doubt if we draft several OL or DL. I hope changes are going to come, I do really believe that.

2nd round that don't sound like a bad pick at all. They do say OL are the safest pick out of all the other positions.
Heitmann is like Shaun Hill, he is a good football player, but wouldn't it be nice if he was more physically gifted?

It would be nice, but lets not make it a high priority until we get RT, NT, FS, OLB and backup running back taken care of.

Just like Shaun Hill, it would be nice if we had "Mr. Perfect" at quarterback, but right now I think we should just settle for winning games, and in the meantime see what happens with Alex Smith and a late round QB project.
Brian, i am with you, and incidentally, am very pleased with shaun(according to what i have read, and saw before Dec 9th). He performed very well from where i stood, and even if there is a chance at a prized QB this yr, we have no business taking it. First we need 2 lines, OL and DL. After that, OLB, FS, RB(yes), and QB. But regardless of whatever else we do this yr, we better get our OL straightened out. We passed on Hutchinson. Same with Faneca. We barely missed D'Brick to the jets in the draft. Oh, and what were the jets doing? They were building their lines. Incidentally, we didn't even put a bid in for Dielman , OG in SD.

Frankly, i don't care if we get a faneca, or hutchinson, via FA, but if so, they better be like those two and not like JJ Glass. My preference would be to build lines via draft, but there are only so many "perfect linemen" , that it seems a reach to believe we get not just an all world OT , but also another world-beater OL. i am not unaware we need a pair of starting DLs, unless balmer pans out, because right now we are two terrific DLs short. If a wilfork happened on the scene, then i would settle for just one DL and he would be it. Yes we have holes elsewhere, and yes, they need to be filled, but if we don't fix the lines first, we will be no better than the lines will be. Lines first, lines first.

My question is, who exactly is going to be responsible for this draft? noln won't be so there is a terrific upgrade. Is scot the one, the final word, and is he the unofficial HOFO for us? Will bigMike, with no OC, DC, RB, DB, HC, or GM experience be instrumental in the draft? If so, then we have made a mistake before the rebuild has begun. INput, yes. Choices(high ones, no). And do we currently have a red hot scouting crew in place that is scouting the major Div 1s, plus Eastern Ill, central MIch, Miss Valley state, Louisiana Tech....well, you get the idea. If we don't then our draft will basically be blind. i am hoping scot has seen to covering ALL areas mentioned above, and doesn't rely on the combine for all info. As for getting parag out of the challenge booth, i have been gone so long, i trust that was taken care of. The really red hot teams? They have the best in the business looking at challenges in the booth, and they are worth every penny.

i guess what i am saying is that we have a new HC(i think), but do we have a true, de facto HOFO? i'm hoping the answer is yes we do , and if it's scot fine. Then we ride that pony unless it goes belly up. Honestly, i wish we would have gone the parcells, pioli, whisenhunt way, but we done did what we done, so i will be a good fan and hope for the best. Frankly i am hoping bigMIke's GOAT experience is a good substitute for HC, DC, OC, RB, DB coach, as well as GM. That wouldn't be a good odds bet tho.
"Center Eric Heitmann had a very good season. He clearly established himself as the team's top lineman. Heitmann kept getting better as the season wore on, too, which showed in the way he played against some of the league's top nose tackles (Dallas' Jay Ratliff and the Jets' Kris Jenkins) late in the year. At 6-foot-3, 312 pounds, Heitmann is one of the biggest and most-powerful centers in the league. That strength is the reason the 49ers excelled running behind him."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/01/niners-most-effective-when-running-up-the-gut.html
let's just go ahead and make this an "official" Eric Heitmann appreciation thread

Originally posted by 09etihW:
"Center Eric Heitmann had a very good season. He clearly established himself as the team's top lineman. Heitmann kept getting better as the season wore on, too, which showed in the way he played against some of the league's top nose tackles (Dallas' Jay Ratliff and the Jets' Kris Jenkins) late in the year. At 6-foot-3, 312 pounds, Heitmann is one of the biggest and most-powerful centers in the league. That strength is the reason the 49ers excelled running behind him."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/01/niners-most-effective-when-running-up-the-gut.html

He is a very good Center but still lacks the push in short yardage, which is why we still, late in the year, had to go off tackle or off guard with Foster in short yardage. I guess it's sort of like Vernon Davis, he does EVERYTHING else so well that I can be patient with or accept his lack of pass catching skills.

Anyways, that article was interesting and having known that Martz said something weird about Gore, that article ended by mentioning that Gore missed a lot of holes and maybe his strong production in runs up the middle had something to do with the fact that he doesn't need to run off of multiple reads on the straight ahead runs.

As we all know, Gore missed some holes while running this year and I think that points directly to his need of a FB.

[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 5, 2009 at 08:59:34 ]
Originally posted by socalniner:
let's just go ahead and make this an "official" Eric Heitmann appreciation thread

Agreed, give the guy some love.
"The center I like a lot." - Jimmy Raye II

http://www.contracostatimes.com/49ers/ci_11594771
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Originally posted by socalniner:

Agreed, give the guy some love.

Heitmann is a stud. top 10 easily imo. maybe someday soon he'll finally get his chance at a pro bowl like Newberry.
  • GoatRider
  • Info N/A
What I like most about Heitmann is that since they drafted him the niners have tried to replace him and yet every year he improved and outplayed the guys acquired to upgrade his position. He reminds me a lot of Derrick Deese.
Share 49ersWebzone