Who is the best, young, RB in the NFL?

Shop 49ers game tickets
it would be Hyde if we werent wasting him away

dude has to break 3 tackles just to get positive yardage
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
it would be Hyde if we werent wasting him away

dude has to break 3 tackles just to get positive yardage

It ain't Hyde & it never will be...

Right now it's Le'Veon Bell, but Freeman or Gurley might move ahead in years to come, particularly Gurley he is special & has a body primed for success at the position, he just possesses a great combo of size/strength/speed/agility…

It also won't be long before Leonard Fournette is unleashed upon the league…

Gurley & Fournette, the RB position is gonna be stacked…
Originally posted by lamontb:
Bell all day Especially when you factor in his ball catching ability. Then Gurley and Freeman.

Let's add in passing. Gurley has played 3 games. And, the Rams Oline is mostly rookies - as in they are learning so kinda suck.

Week 7

Bell. Passing: 4 - 16 Rushing: 17-121 (vBengals) total: 136
Gurley. Passing: 4 - 35 Rushing: 19 - 128 (vBrowns) total: 163

Week 5

Bell. Passing: 4-16 Rushing: 21-111 (@Chargers) total: 127
Gurley. Passing: 0 Rushing: 30-159 (@Packers) total: 159

Week 4 (Gurley's first full game in the NFL)

Bell. Passing: 7-21 Rushing: 22-129 (v Ravens) total: 150
Gurley. Passing: 2-15 Rushing: 19-146 (@Arizona) total: 161

Freeman is also absolutey awesome - feel free to add in his stats.
[ Edited by ArizonaBlue on Oct 29, 2015 at 3:42 AM ]
Originally posted by ArizonaBlue:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Bell all day Especially when you factor in his ball catching ability. Then Gurley and Freeman.

Let's add in passing. Gurley has played 3 games. And, the Rams Oline is mostly rookies - as in they are learning so kinda suck.

Week 7

Bell. Passing: 4 - 16 Rushing: 17-121 (vBengals) total: 136
Gurley. Passing: 4 - 35 Rushing: 19 - 128 (vBrowns) total: 163

Week 5

Bell. Passing: 4-16 Rushing: 21-111 (@Chargers) total: 127
Gurley. Passing: 0 Rushing: 30-159 (@Packers) total: 159

Week 4 (Gurley's first full game in the NFL)

Bell. Passing: 7-21 Rushing: 22-129 (v Ravens) total: 150
Gurley. Passing: 2-15 Rushing: 19-146 (@Arizona) total: 161

Freeman is also absolutey awesome - feel free to add in his stats.

Rams O Line is decent and the scheme is a perfect fit for Gurley (zone blocking, lots of outside runs, and they have Tavon Austin running sweeps the opposite direction to prevent defenses from committing to one side). They have two rookies (Brown and Havenstein) who have been playing well for 2nd/3rd round picks, Greg Robinson (2nd year player who is a solid run blocker), and a couple journeymen. The Steelers lost their best offensive lineman (Pouncey). They still have DeCastro, but with Mike Evans out, their offensive line is pretty bad right now. Their offense is still good because they have the best RB in the league, one of the best WR's (and a very good WR2 in Bryant), and one of the best QB's.
Yer gonna see the best young stud back in the NFL this weekend as he tramples and dances upon the wreckage of the 49er defense...
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Yer gonna see the best young stud back in the NFL this weekend as he tramples and dances upon the wreckage of the 49er defense...

18 carries, 61 yards

How people consider Gurley as the best young RB in the NFL over Le'veon Bell is beyond me.

I guess 3 great games trumps a 2,200+ yard, 11 touchdown season on WZ.
1) Bell - is the most complete back in the nfl. Can passblock, receive, run outside, inside, has power and speed, cuts and the ability truck defenders. He might be the best back in the league, and yes I know who AP is.

2) Devonta Freeman - THis guy is tearing the league a new one. 9 mother f**king td's in 7 weeks. Playing with matt ryan helps thin out the box a bit, but he is taking advantage. He will most likely lose this spot to gurley.

3) Gurley - This guy is amazing. Its going to be a pain dealin with him for the next 8-10 years, he is lighting it up.

4) Carlos Hyde - He might have the best mix of power and explosiveness of any of the backs on this list. Has some potential to be the next beastmode. His issue is he takes to much punishment from trying to get that extra yard and he is playing behind the worst runblocking line on this list. I would guess he gets hit in the back field the most out of the backs on this list by percentage. So his production is lower. Until he proves he can produce consistently and stay healthy I think he needs to be lower on the list sadly.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
1) Bell - is the most complete back in the nfl. Can passblock, receive, run outside, inside, has power and speed, cuts and the ability truck defenders. He might be the best back in the league, and yes I know who AP is.

2) Devonta Freeman - THis guy is tearing the league a new one. 9 mother f**king td's in 7 weeks. Playing with matt ryan helps thin out the box a bit, but he is taking advantage. He will most likely lose this spot to gurley.

3) Gurley - This guy is amazing. Its going to be a pain dealin with him for the next 8-10 years, he is lighting it up.

4) Carlos Hyde - He might have the best mix of power and explosiveness of any of the backs on this list. Has some potential to be the next beastmode. His issue is he takes to much punishment from trying to get that extra yard and he is playing behind the worst runblocking line on this list. I would guess he gets hit in the back field the most out of the backs on this list by percentage. So his production is lower. Until he proves he can produce consistently and stay healthy I think he needs to be lower on the list sadly.

I agree with this. Hyde has the best mix but his injury and the fact that teams are absolutely not afraid of our passing game has kept him from pushing the 3 ahead of him.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
LeVeon Bell.
interesting piece on "new generation of running backs" . . .
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/30/9632116/nfl-running-backs-devonta-freeman-todd-gurley-carlos-hyde-melvin-gordon

• cciowa
  • Veteran
how about the guy from my daughters college U.N.I who i wanted but went to the cardinals instead, david johnson.. sure i know he does not have awesome stats but man, the guy seems to be a game changer every time he touches the ball?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

I agree with this. Hyde has the best mix but his injury and the fact that teams are absolutely not afraid of our passing game has kept him from pushing the 3 ahead of him.

Not even close. Gurley is a track star in Hyde's body. Hyde is not the athlete that Bell/Gurley are. He breaks tackles but he's not as fast or quick. I'll wait to move Hyde all the way up to the top 5 young backs until we see if he has decent vision. Trent Richardson can also break tackles when he doesn't run into them...
Hyde shouldn't even be in this conversation.
Originally posted by aTx49er:

If there's nothing to be optimistic about, make stuff up ("This is a very talented team that just needs to replace its coaches", "We're two or three pieces away from being a contender", "Hyde is the best young RB in the league", "Armstead is more talented than Mack", etc.). After a couple years of high draft picks, we'll have reasons to be optimistic again.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by aTx49er:

If there's nothing to be optimistic about, make stuff up ("This is a very talented team that just needs to replace its coaches", "We're two or three pieces away from being a contender", "Hyde is the best young RB in the league", "Armstead is more talented than Mack", etc.). After a couple years of high draft picks, we'll have reasons to be optimistic again.

Lol. True.
Share 49ersWebzone