LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 510 users in the forums

WR Austin Collie

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Originally posted by NFLBuddah:
How disappointing is this signing? His last good game was 3 years ago. The first time he sneezes he'll be declared medically ineligible. Why would this has-been even be in the conversation let alone now collecting a NFL pay check? This is a joke. Baalke must be in desperation mode because 4 weeks before the season starts we don't have anyone who can catch OR cover at CB. Plus our 'star' QB has been acting like a street thug. Our GM has been a joke (AJ Jenkins) the last 2 years. In my view if we don't make and win the SB this year, he should be fired.

Lulz

They see me trolling ... and faking ...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We have enough pick to get 2 WR and 2 CB. Potentially 6 top 100 picks counting a 3rd rd comp pick perhaps for Goldson. Jenkins will make the team this year barring some colossal failure this preseason. As a minimum, the WR already here know the system more than the NOOBs

If like you said Jenkins completely tanks in the preseason and still ends up making the team, then I think we might need to open up more WR spots on the roster to make sure we have enough firepower. If you think about it, we really haven't improved on the offensive side of the ball aside from an improved version of Kap. Anquan would have been great if Crab didn't go down which kind of cancels each other out and we lost Delanie. I think it will be a very tough season. Let's hope things work out.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
When it comes to undrafted skill position guys, you can HOPE they turn out to be studs, but don't ever THINK they will.

The major flaw in the plan until today is that we were counting on some undrafted no name WR turning into a stud player, and that's just not realistic. Even if you have 5 or 6 undrafted WRs the odds of one of them turning into an NFL caliber player are slim. I'm not saying it can't happen, or that I don't enjoying seeing guys like Lockette compete for roster spots. I'm just saying you can't bet your season on guys like that, which is basically what we were doing until today.

That's a very good point. Hopefully, they might have learnt their lesson after this Jenkins episode. Overall, I felt they took it too easy on WR situation. May be they felt well we still managed to get to the Super Bowl with Mario and Kyle out. But, dare I say if we had better receivers may be we would have won it ? Your point on the UDFAs is spot on, I mean for a top NFL team, you can't just hope for the best and mortgage your house on a bunch of undrafted WRs. Let's face it, when the hit rate is already not exactly that high with drafted WRs, you really need to invest a few more draft picks on them. Quite a number of posters have suggested drafting 2 or even 3 WRs a year until we can resolve our current receiving corp issues. While 3 might sound excessive, I think the general thinking makes sense especially when we now finally have such a great QB who can make all the throws, we need to give him the best weapons to fully capitalize on his talent and ability.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mattster03:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by mattster03:
Gotta cut Jenkins so that Collie can get his #17

Haha! easy fix

LOL, great job man !!
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
When it comes to undrafted skill position guys, you can HOPE they turn out to be studs, but don't ever THINK they will.

The major flaw in the plan until today is that we were counting on some undrafted no name WR turning into a stud player, and that's just not realistic. Even if you have 5 or 6 undrafted WRs the odds of one of them turning into an NFL caliber player are slim. I'm not saying it can't happen, or that I don't enjoying seeing guys like Lockette compete for roster spots. I'm just saying you can't bet your season on guys like that, which is basically what we were doing until today.

That's a very good point. Hopefully, they might have learnt their lesson after this Jenkins episode. Overall, I felt they took it too easy on WR situation. May be they felt well we still managed to get to the Super Bowl with Mario and Kyle out. But, dare I say if we had better receivers may be we would have won it ? Your point on the UDFAs is spot on, I mean for a top NFL team, you can't just hope for the best and mortgage your house on a bunch of undrafted WRs. Let's face it, when the hit rate is already not exactly that high with drafted WRs, you really need to invest a few more draft picks on them. Quite a number of posters have suggested drafting 2 or even 3 WRs a year until we can resolve our current receiving corp issues. While 3 might sound excessive, I think the general thinking makes sense especially when we now finally have such a great QB who can make all the throws, we need to give him the best weapons to fully capitalize on his talent and ability.

I think the FO thought we would have a pretty solid recieving corps in place for this year with Anquan, Crabs, KW, and manningham coming back. You have a few handcuffs on the team with players like moore, hall, and jenkins as well. Patton will end up catching a lot of balls for this team as well, I'm sure. So with that thinking it wasn't necessary this year to pick up a couple WRs in the draft but I think that when 2014 rolls around we will see at least two.
How disappointing is this signing? His last good game was 3 years ago. The first time he sneezes he'll be declared medically ineligible. Why would this has-been even be in the conversation let alone now collecting a NFL pay check? This is a joke. Baalke must be in desperation mode because 4 weeks before the season starts we don't have anyone who can catch OR cover at CB. Plus our 'star' QB has been acting like a street thug. Our GM has been a joke (AJ Jenkins) the last 2 years. In my view if we don't make and win the SB this year, he should be fired.

I assume this is supposed to be some kind of a joke?
Originally posted by xtm059:
I think the FO thought we would have a pretty solid recieving corps in place for this year with Anquan, Crabs, KW, and manningham coming back. You have a few handcuffs on the team with players like moore, hall, and jenkins as well. Patton will end up catching a lot of balls for this team as well, I'm sure. So with that thinking it wasn't necessary this year to pick up a couple WRs in the draft but I think that when 2014 rolls around we will see at least two.

This. Exactly. We went into the draft with our WR core set. Crab Q Mario KW AJ and Lock then we added QP. We needed S DL TE and we got that. No one could predict Crabtree Injury then when pads go on the setback with AJ KW and Lock. Just a bunch of sh!t luck. Anyone thinking that Crab Q and Mario wasn't sufficient has truly lost me

Reports may be premature...but just in case send flowers to 4949 Centennial Boulevard Santa Clara, CA 95054

You clearly have never met a street thug to compare Kap to one
[ Edited by ChipDouglas510 on Aug 3, 2013 at 9:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Dr Bill...they timed me two weeks ago. Used to run up Mount Tamalpias a lot.

By the way 4.6 forty isn't that impressive when your running down Mount Tamalpias. LOL.

Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
This signing makes me think Lockette isn't the stud we all hope he would be.

Agreed, IMO Lockette will spend another year on the practice squad if he is eligible. After spending so much time practicing with Kaep one would think their chemistry would be established to at least stand out a little during practices, just look at what Hall is doing... thats what I was hoping for from Lockette. But even Jenkins has more catches than Lockette in practice and he is the summer scapegoat of the zone.

The Collie and Hawkins signings make it real interesting at WR, it might also mean Manningham will be sitting out the first 6 weeks of the season.
Those who're criticizing Collie...who would you have signed instead? It's one thing to say "he's garbage, etc.", but another to offer a better solution. I haven't heard one person say they think he's the savior...but he is an experienced WR who can catch whatever's thrown to him. With none of the other guys stepping up (I'll defer on Patton, I think he'll be a very good WR when healthy) what did you expect Baalke to do? Easy to say he should've done this or that in FA...it's pretty hard to fulfill all your needs that way, but overall I think our front office did a fine job acquiring FA talent. I expect both Collie and Hawkins to contribute right away...that doesn't mean they're Supermen and will come riding in on their white horses. It means they're vets who understand what their roles are and will fulfill them.
There are so many guys nicked up that they needed to sign these guys to have a practice. You can't have the two healthy guys run all the routes or they'll get injured!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xtm059:

Hmm, yes and no. On the surface, Anquan, Crab, Mario and Kyle might sound pretty decent. But, what about planning for injuries ? You would think after losing Mario and Kyle last year, may be they would make sure we have enough receivers ? And I don't mean just any receivers, good receivers. What if we lose Anquan as well ? We would definitely go down then. I am quite sure they will now really try to address the WR issue properly finally come next year's draft. Besides, drafting 2 WRs is no big deal really, other teams do it, for example look at how aggressive the Rams were in this year's draft by trading all the way up to the 8th pick to get Tavon Austin and still they drafted Stedman Bailey in the 3rd round.
The zone is just too optimistic on some guys that have physical talent but bounced around the league without ever turning their physical skills into consistent pass catching skills. Lockette, Moore, Osgood all have size and speed, but might not ever be anything but a 5th or 6th guy who makes it on ST play. On the other hand, one of the least gifted guys, Chad Hall, has been catching quite a few.

Given that Jenkins and Patton aren't going to be able to grow if they can't even get on the practice field, they pulled the trigger on trying a couple of guys that could be a third or fourth receiver that you wouldn't be afraid of the throwing the ball too.
Share 49ersWebzone