LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 341 users in the forums

Vance "Beastmode" McDonald Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Can I get a Vance McDonald End-Around to the right against Seattle with everyone blocking their guy except the outside cb. I wonder what would happen?
Originally posted by DeUh:

That last gif of him catching and turning upfield immediately would be unstoppable if we used him like that in the middle of the field (finding the holes for CK). In fact, IIRC his best play last year was just that.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
McDonald will have to make plays when his number is called (which will only be 2-3x per game) i am guessing. Now, 1 or 2 of those could be in the red-zone, so he should have a chance to get some TDs due to mis-matches. But unless VD goes down, i wouldnt expect Vance to be putting up any sort of big numbers.

That would be double-triple from last year so your point and expectations are spot in. It's hard blocking, blocking, blocking all game and suddenly asked to run a deep seam route in a huge game. But he's got to be ready but he is certainly someone who is expected to make huge strides this year and I just hope we utilize him properly.
Pretty astute observation, Caling4life. To be exact, the LB pinned Vance's arm against his body BEFORE the pass was received. Vance took a lot of grief over that "drop", but it was NOT a drop. His arm was pinned before ball got there and he just couldn't bring it in with the hold. Nobody to my recollection ever noted that before Calin. Good memory. I remember it because Vance took heat on the WZ for it and it was a hold all the way...or a trapped arm. Good defensive play, but it was illegal.

With his size and strength, Vance should be a frequent 3rd down possession receiver, a RZ target, and an EZ target. With 3 all pro WRs , an all pro TE, around him, he should be, by rights, the guy open. The D can no longer double anybody...well, they could, but at their own peril.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:58 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

That last gif of him catching and turning upfield immediately would be unstoppable if we used him like that in the middle of the field (finding the holes for CK). In fact, IIRC his best play last year was just that.

This !

Off Topic - Did you hear anything about Derek Carrier since the start of TC ?
^^^ VMD is incredibly quite on that catch-turn move! That would be the easiest pass for CK as well...right in the middle of the field...shortest distance and it would be unstoppable with his quick release/arm strength.

Yes, I have actually. IIRC it was MM raving about him and I believe CK commented on him as well talking about how he's an excellent receiver and how they are looking to carve out their role for him (cough, H-Back, cough, D.Walker, cough).
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Yes, I have actually. IIRC it was MM raving about him and I believe CK commented on him as well talking about how he's an excellent receiver and how they are looking to carve out their role for him (cough, H-Back, cough, D.Walker, cough).

Thanks man. The last thing I heard about him was Roman praising his developed blocking skills. Couple that with your statements from CK and MM......
[ Edited by DeUh on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM ]

Thanks man. The last thing I heard about him was Roman praising his developed blocking skills. Combine that with your statements from CK and MM......

I've had him making this team as the H-back since I started hearing reports of him late last season. We may have found our new D. Walker folks!

Thanks man. The last thing I heard about him was Roman praising his developed blocking skills. Combine that with your statements from CK and MM......

I've had him making this team as the H-back since I started hearing reports of him late last season. We may have found our new D. Walker folks!

DC is a better receiver.
Originally posted by WINiner:
DC is a better receiver.

Already too! D. Walker was hands of stone badly.

EXCEPT HE CAN CATCH!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Yes he can!!!!
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

Yes he can!!!!

Lol does it ever weird you guys out talking about players you have never seen play a snap of football?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I lived in Houston for four yrs twice. Rice U was right down the street from Baylor med school and I always went there to study. Small school then about 1900, and all kids brainiacs. If Vance went there he was smart, really smart to start with, and even smarter when he finished. Coach and Trent passed over Coach's own guy Fleener from Stanford...surprised the heck out of me...and then passed on another guy also. If TRent and Coach liked Vance that much, he must have had some special kind of talent. He played a lot of plays last yr, the Harbaugh way, learning how to block. Got some catches too, dropped some, but he learned his position. He was my main man last yr tho he took a lot of guff in the media...esp here. But he now is ready, and fortunate for him has gotten some really good extra time with kap this yr...Once again I look for him to have a break out yr. Of course, that was my sentiment last yr too. Vance with 3 all pro WRs, plus Vernon...you don't think he is going to be somewhat ignored by the D this yr?

I'm looking for him to be a big factor in the red zone.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Lol does it ever weird you guys out talking about players you have never seen play a snap of football?

LOL. Hey Captain BuzzKill, have you met cciowa yet?
Share 49ersWebzone