LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 315 users in the forums

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Shop 49ers game tickets

How many games will the Chiefs win PYMWYMI

Dats my guy
2013 Kansas City Chiefs = 2011 San Francisco 49ers
Talented team, all they needed was a good coach just like us in 2011. All we needed was Harbaugh and his coaching staff to guide our talented players and maximize their playing abilities to turn around this franchise back to its winning tradition.
Good defense creating turnovers? Check.
Offense with a good running game? Check.
Game managing QB? Check.
Its Deja Vu all over again for AS.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
there will always be a an Alex Smith thread

ALWAYS

49ersWebzone circa year 1002005: A long time ago in a galaxy far away, the Alex Smith threads began...

That original thread would easily be 10,000+ pages by now.
It's kind of hilarious that Alex Smith is undefeated right now. I mean, it's truly funny. No slight against him, he deserves it. The ball sure has been bouncing his way the last few years.

We'll see if he can lead the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game like Joe did.
I hope not, I was really hoping for a mid round 2nd round draft pick.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It's kind of hilarious that Alex Smith is undefeated right now. I mean, it's truly funny. No slight against him, he deserves it. The ball sure has been bouncing his way the last few years.

Smith has to play better though. He started the season off really well. The last 3 games though...he's been meh at best. I mean I get it..."stats are for losers" blah blah but at some point you've gotta put up points in bunches. That pick he threw in the 4th quarter today could (should) have cost them the game. He rarely (if ever - in the last 2.5 years) has cost his team a game so I'd just write it off. Either way...he's gotta play better.
i am happy for him. if foster had not gotten down yesterday the texans would have pulled out the W in my opinion. but who cares, we are close to the 2nd rounder :)
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Smith has to play better though. He started the season off really well. The last 3 games though...he's been meh at best. I mean I get it..."stats are for losers" blah blah but at some point you've gotta put up points in bunches. That pick he threw in the 4th quarter today could (should) have cost them the game. He rarely (if ever - in the last 2.5 years) has cost his team a game so I'd just write it off. Either way...he's gotta play better.

That 4th down throw to McGrath would have resulted in a 100+ page thread on these forums, he waited so long, McGrath was open for awhile and then he made a last second AWFUL throw out to him, just a really bad play.
Originally posted by frankie:
Hell yeah good for him! I will always root for em as long as he aint playing our niners. Stats aint flashy but this man is winning still good for him.
Goniners

I'm with ya Frankie. The Chiefs are playing some good ball right now. And after all the drama Alex gone through in his career, I can't help but root for the guy. But if and when it comes down to playing us, I will only wish him sacks and INTs.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
. His QBR is 20 points lower than it was with the 49ers last season and completion percentage is around 56%. I can't say I've been impressed with his play lately. His QB rating started up in the 90s and has basically been dropping every game.

justin smith said stats are for losers. QB's are single handedly judged on their w-l record.

While I agree with that statement. A #1 Pick as a QB should of put up amazing stats, ala Peyton. Alex never did, and likely wont ever.

Dude I respect your opinion on most topics but your draft status shouldn't determine what type of stats you put up. That's more about the type of offensive system your team runs. The same reason Matt Cassell was throwing the ball all over the field in NE and was pedestrian in KC. Is Alex a world beater? Hell no. But in a league where even the top tier QBs turn the ball over like there is no tomorrow a guy like Alex Smith will always have a job. Most games he won't light you up for 300 and 3 tds but he won't throw you out of a game like Romo. Then he does have games where he goes bonkers and puts up nice numbers threw the air and on the ground.

Big Ben is a prime example of this... he will have games where he just plays plain UGLY, but he limits the mistakes (and more importantly the timing of the mistakes) and his team wins the game. In hindsight I bet the Texans would kill for a QB like Alex, they would be at least 4-3/5-2 right now. Even if you look at history the only QBs with ridiculous #'s who ever won multiple super bowls are Joe and Brady. Manning for all his regular season brilliance only has one ring to show, then a guy like Marino has 0.

You have middle of the road guys like Aikman, Eli, and Big Ben who are not big stat guys but they aren't pedestrian either.

Then you have the Doug William, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Ken Stabler, Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler, etc. who do just enough to get you by. The truth is you have a better chance at landing one of these guys than you do one the elites. Think about this you could go back damn near 30 years and only find four QBs you lead their respective teams to multiple championships. Give me the best front seven and offensive line with a middle of the road QB all day, keep the 20 million dollar QB because all it takes for us to win a championship is your 20 million dollar QB to have an off game.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Heck the pick wasn't even his fault, McCluster stopped running on the route. Alex actually did something I've hardly seen him do and trusted his guy to finish the play and McCluster let him down. It's part of the game tho. Alex was still feeding him the ball even after the bad play. As far as the pick he was just doing way too much. All in all he's playing good ball. You can't always look at QBR, because I've seen him make some clutch plays for them. And he also has done a great job running the ball as well 218 on the season which is a career high for him, about 30 yards a game.

Here's some news for all you Smith lovers who can't get over his last 1.5 seasons of good play and 6.5 seasons of horrid play, with the San Francisco 49ers.

To wit: "Alex Smith did his best to give this game away late. He botched a fourth-and-goal in the fourth quarter where he appeared
to miss two open men in the end zone because he wasn't decisive. Smith also threw a fourth quarter interception that kept
Houston in the game. Smith did a very nice job moving the ball earlier in the game, but his mistakes are piling up."

Link - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000266969/article/what-we-learned-40-takeaways-from-week-7
Amazing stats? He isn't even performing like an efficient game manager at this point.

QB Rating
Week 1 - 94.4
Week 2 - 95.0
Week 3 - 87.0
Week 4 - 84.2
Week 5 - 60.3
Week 6 - 56.9
Week 7 - 75.6

Stats are really not doing him justice. For instance, 3 of his INTs were pretty much shared blame or not his at all. It takes so little to change a good QBR into a bad one. He has had 2 or 3 TDs that were for one reason or another, poorly determined to not be TDs. He has not been great. I have seen Alex play much better, and he is capable of more growth. He has been disappointing the prior 2 weeks.. but all of the other games including this last one, he has been good. This Chiefs team just needs him to be average to above average, and they will win lots more games.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The defense plays much, much better when you don't turn it over and put them in a hole like at the 5 yard line 1st and goal. If you have to go a long field your defense will of course look better. So Alex not turning it over makes any defense better. He did the same with us. He no doubt made our defense better too.

If their defense was such a powerhouse btw why were they 2 - 14 last year?.....

Yeah, this is exactly why Alex and the Chiefs are winning. The D is excellent and the offense handles their business at crucial points in the game... just like the 2011 49ers did. It's really quite remarkable.

KC bringing in a good HC and QB... bringing in a new DC and making the scheme aggressive.. these are THE main reasons for their success.
That 4th down throw to McGrath would have resulted in a 100+ page thread on these forums, he waited so long, McGrath was open for awhile and then he made a last second AWFUL throw out to him, just a really bad play.

Yes, it was poor accuracy while throwing off balanced. That one's on him. He had a couple really bad throws... but for you to point just those out and overlook all of the good? For you to fight this so hard? Man... just let it go. Just seems bitter, at this point.
Alex Smith >>>>>> Peyton
Share 49ersWebzone