LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bow Run? →

There are 95 users in the forums

Coaching staff: If you could pick your own

Shop 49ers game tickets
I found this article concerning possible future GMs: Link

Quote:

The A List (Top 5)

Ryan Grigson – Director of Player Personnel, Philadelphia Eagles: The former Purdue tackle and 6th round pick of the Bengals in 1995, Grigson is an astute evaluator who gets as much satisfaction scouting the Yankee conference as he does the rugged SEC. He is a firm believer in “eye” confidence and is not swayed by other opinions. His NFL, CFL and Arena league background give him a more varied resume than most. A tireless worker, Grigson has been very instrumental in the Eagle’s consistent Draft efforts and should be on every team’s short list of GM candidates. His rare passion will be key to his success.

Steve Keim: Director of Player Personnel, Arizona Cardinals: Boasting a similar resume of the Eagles Grigson, Keim was a 4 year starter and captain during his playing career at NC State. Keim’s draft room influence has played a key role in the Cardinals rise to the upper echelon of the NFL. His commanding presence and draft room acumen have resulted in 2nd round steals like Anquan Boldin and Karlos Dansby as well as 3rd round gems like Adrian Wilson and Darnell Dockett. With people skills to match, Keim’s eye for talent is outstanding and the single biggest reason for the Cardinals recent success.

Terry McDonough: Director of Player Personnel, Jacksonville Jaguars: Son of the late Boston Globe icon Will McDonough, Terry is fast becoming one of the most talked about personnel evaluators in the league. Never one to waver, McDonough has that rare confidence in his opinions and is usually right on. A legendary tape grinder, it is not unusual to find Terry watching tape at 1:30 am trying to find the next draft gem. With Terry’s influence, expect the Jaguars continued improvement in the future. When he gets his opportunity, expect his team to rise fast in the rankings.

Scott Studwell: Director of College Scouting, Minnesota Vikings: Not one to seek the limelight, I have long considered Studwell to be one of the league’s premier personnel guys. The former Viking linebacker amassed 1,981 tackles in his career to set a team record in the process, including 230 in the 1981 season. He scouts with the same determination as when he played, which you would never know based on his low key demeanor off the field. Studwell has played a prominent role in the Vikings success and would no doubt succeed if handed the keys to a team.

Kirk Reynolds (PR Background): VP of Public Affairs, Pac-10 Conference: As consultant to Hall Of Famers Ronnie Lott and Steve Young, the former 49ers public relations honcho carries the same pedigree as former GM Ernie Accorsi and judges people as well as anyone I have ever met. There have been more than a few PR guys rise to the top, like the late commissioner Pete Rozelle, and they likely have one thing in common: unmatched passion for the game and a desire to do things the right way. Reynolds has a vast knowledge of sports in general and a keen ability to solve any problem that comes his way. Though a long shot, the media savvy Reynolds would no doubt assemble an all star cast with winning his only goal. An owner would be wise to take a flier on this guy.

I'm intrigued by the Eagles guy. They seem to reload with new young talent with DeSean, Maclin, McCoy, Celek
  • Otter
  • Veteran
This is a fantastic topic. Given Singletary's failures this year, I'm surprised it took this long for this topic to come up.
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
I'd like for us to lure Schottenheimer out of retirement and let him be our GM. For head coach, I still like Harbaugh and if not him, Cowher would be okay with the right coordinators in place. It'd be cool to get Marvin Lewis as our DC and McDaniels as OC if we can't land Harbaugh. If we can get Harbaugh, keeping Mike Johnson wouldn't be a bad idea since our offense would primarily be run through our HC.

I posted in another threat that we should get Schottenheimer as our GM. The guy knows personnel, whether it be football players or coaches, has connections to a number of coaches on different teams, and could assist in luring a top notch head coach and getting a staff together. And of the names for GM that have been thrown out there, he is actually available. I'm surprised that no one has tried to get Marty, but I'd love him in this roll in San Francisco.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
GM
Eric DeCosta - Ravens Director of Player Personnel, formerly the youngest Director of College Scouting in the NFL (has been with the Ravens since their move to Balt). The Ravens always seem to be a step ahead of other teams when drafting, and DeCosta is one of the main reasons.

2nd choice - Marc Ross, Director of College Scouting, NY Giants

Head Coach
Jim Harbaugh - DeCosta might have some pull with Harbaugh given the close relationship he has with brother

2nd choice - Hue Jackson, Raiders Offensive Coordinator

I really like all three of these choices and they seem realistic as well. Which direction would you go with the defense (4-3 or 3-4) and who do you think would be a logical hire at Defensive Coordinator?

I might consider hiring a DC with a base 4-3, Tampa-2 approach; not sure about specific individuals just yet. You don't have to rely so much on blue-chip cover cornerbacks to stop the pass, and God knows we need all the help possible when it comes to pass defense around here.
Assuming they become available:

HC: Jeff Fisher
OC: Gary Kubiak
DC: Greg Manusky

I'd like to keep Solari, Brown and Rathman.
GM
Eric DeCosta - Ravens Director of Player Personnel, formerly the youngest Director of College Scouting in the NFL (has been with the Ravens since their move to Balt). The Ravens always seem to be a step ahead of other teams when drafting, and DeCosta is one of the main reasons.

Head Coach
Jim Harbaugh - DeCosta might have some pull with Harbaugh given the close relationship he has with brother

Love these choices. VERY solid. I dont want Holmgren (ugh) or a retread as HC.
However, I would love to have 2 older guys as our coordinators that are or have been head coaches and would never again get an opportunity.

GM: DeCosta
HC Harbaugh
OC Norv Turner ( there is a chance he could get fired if SD misses playoffs???)
DC Wade Phillips

Championship!
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
However, I would love to have 2 older guys as our coordinators that are or have been head coaches and would never again get an opportunity.

People said the same thing about Norv Turner after Washington fired him and then again when Oakland fired him. People also said the same thing after Denver fired Phillips and then when Buffalo fired him.

If they prove themselves as coordinators, they'll be in the running to lead again.
Like the GM De Costa pick..
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by YOUNGster08:
I'd like for us to lure Schottenheimer out of retirement and let him be our GM. For head coach, I still like Harbaugh and if not him, Cowher would be okay with the right coordinators in place. It'd be cool to get Marvin Lewis as our DC and McDaniels as OC if we can't land Harbaugh. If we can get Harbaugh, keeping Mike Johnson wouldn't be a bad idea since our offense would primarily be run through our HC.

I posted in another threat that we should get Schottenheimer as our GM. The guy knows personnel, whether it be football players or coaches, has connections to a number of coaches on different teams, and could assist in luring a top notch head coach and getting a staff together. And of the names for GM that have been thrown out there, he is actually available. I'm surprised that no one has tried to get Marty, but I'd love him in this roll in San Francisco.

Yeah, I think people underrate him because he never won a super bowl but you look at his career win percentage and damn, if he would have won a super bowl...
  • pd24
  • Veteran
The best franchise going right now and for the past decade has been the Pats. I wouldn't mind bringing in a trio of former Pats coaches:

HC: Charlie Weiss, he has KC looking pretty balanced and Matt Cassel is having his best year as a pro.

OC: Josh McDaniels, and extension of the HC and another great offensive mind. Did wonders for orton and Lloyd.

DC: Eric Mangini if he is let go and he probably will be.

If we want to got the WCO rout

HC: Gruden

OC: Gary Kubiak will most likly be fired.

DC: whoever Gruden wants maybe a guy like Wade.

GM

Head Coach

HC Harbaugh
DC Wade Phillips

Championship!

That would easily be one of the top coaching staffs in the league!
Originally posted by pd24:
The best franchise going right now and for the past decade has been the Pats. I wouldn't mind bringing in a trio of former Pats coaches:

HC: Charlie Weiss, he has KC looking pretty balanced and Matt Cassel is having his best year as a pro.

OC: Josh McDaniels, and extension of the HC and another great offensive mind. Did wonders for orton and Lloyd.

I'm a Charlie Weis believer so I like the suggestions above with one exception...Mangina. Don't like him; seems like a scheming little punk.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:

I'm a Charlie Weis believer so I like the suggestions above with one exception...Mangina. Don't like him; seems like a scheming little punk.

lol. I don't like him either, but couldn't think of anyone from the NE tree. Im sure Weiss would have other options as far as coaches he knows.
GM

Head Coach

HC Harbaugh
DC Wade Phillips

Championship!

My next 5 christmas gifts...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by redrathman:

People said the same thing about Norv Turner after Washington fired him and then again when Oakland fired him. People also said the same thing after Denver fired Phillips and then when Buffalo fired him.

If they prove themselves as coordinators, they'll be in the running to lead again.

At their current ages and failures with playoff caliber teams I doubt they get another shot . Turner would have a slim chance perhaps but I would be shocked if Wade ever gets another opportunity.
Share 49ersWebzone