LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 416 users in the forums

BillWalsh 2009 NFL preview

Shop 49ers game tickets
NFC West:

49ers 10-6 The 49ers defense holds offenses to similar numbers to the end of last season and the power running game batters teams with the niners finally returning to the playoffs. The niners tie with the cardinals but win the division based on head to head matchups.

Cardinals 10-6 They will still score points but I still don't think the running game and defense can hold on to some important wins. Not everything goes right in the passing game every year like it did for them last year.

Rams 6-10 A rebuilding year doesn't seem so bad with a healthy stephen Jackson but other then that this team still needs help all over so he wins a few games for them but otherwise this team needs a few years to get competitive again.

Seahawks 5-11 They lose Bernard and Peterson on defense and already have key injuries to the DB's and O-line I just can't see them being good again. The running game is gone from the glory days of Shaun alexander and this team is on the decline.

AFC West:

Chargers 12-4 By far the worst division in the NFL and the chargers take the easy road to the playoffs. The defense should step up after last year's poor showing and that combined with Phillip rivers should make for a division championship.

Raiders 6-10 Russell finally starts having some nice passing days and they still have a great running game but the defense will get run over all year as they didn't bring in much help for a front seven that wasn't good to begin with.

Broncos 6-10 Moreno will carry this team and become a star but the defense is awful and Kyle Orton is not a franchise type of QB who can win games on his own. Chris Simms will get some playing time but the defense just isn't good enough to keep them in enough games.

Chiefs 4-12 Matt Cassell shows the chiefs that looking decent in New England doesn't mean a thing with this young team. The defense is still young and transitioning to a new scheme and it will be awhile before they start competing again.

NFC East:
Giants 13-3 The front seven is loaded and should put the heat on QBs all year. The offense will again ride the run game and young recievers will step up and become reliable targets.

Eagles 12-4 Being second in this division is nothing to shake your head at as the eagles return to the playoffs where anything can happen. Mcnabb has a career year with his huge O-line paving the way and two speedy recievers to the outside. They even have Mccoy to fill in if westbrook is injured and their won't be much of a drop off.

Dallas 11-5 They can put pressure on the QB and the offense will shift to more of a focus on the running game which should take pressure off of Romo to win games on his own. They just aren't good enough to win the division but go into the playoffs as a dangerous wildcard.

Redskins 8-8 In another division they might go to the playoffs but not in this one. Haynesworth helps shore up the front seven but they don't have much of a pass rush and nobody has stepped up to show they can carry the load for when Portis eventually tires. The O-line doesn't look as good as in past years and this team needs some more youthful talent.

AFC East:

Patriots 14-2 If Brady's knee holds up all year they should be the class of the NFL again. The secondary is much improved and they made good off season acquisitions on both sides of the ball. Look for Randy Moss' numbers to go back up and the offense to look unstoppable at times while the defense still knows how to outsmart most teams with the exceptions of a couple losses on the year.

Dolphins 9-7 They don't quite make it to the playoffs in a tough AFC but seem more likely to finish second to the patriots then the Bills or Jets. The pass rush is there and the offense is stable enough to make the team respectable. Pennington isn't an all world QB but doesn't make huge mistakes and keeps them in games.

Bills 8-8 They have a nice recieving combo which helps trent edwards to look better but the O-line needs help and the defense is young and lacks elite pass rushers. I think this team is on the way up as they have some key guys in positions but with Edwards injury history he could go down for the count behind an inconsistent pass protection.

Jets 7-9 Anytime a rookie starts at QB I don't like their chances in a competitive AFC East but Sanchez makes strides and looks ok in some games so they take a year to rebuild with a young QB and look to compete hard in 2010. They do need help at reciever though which should be a focal point of the off season.

NFC North

Vikings 11-5 They can stop the run and they can run all over everybody so whether Favre makes it through the whole year or not they should take this division. Peterson puts up MVP type numbers if he stays healthy and Percy Harvin gets consideration for rookie of the year.

Packers 9-7 They still don't have an answer in the running game but they can pass the ball and the defense has some playmakers and a good secondary for Dom Capers to work with. They sniff the playoffs but don't quite get there.

Bears 8-8 The O-line is shaky and they don't have enough playmakers on offense. The defense lost a huge step last year and doesn't look improved in any area. Cutler makes some recievers have better years then they normally would but I don't see the playoffs in his first year in chicago.

Detroit 4-12 Stafford shows off his powerful arm and the defense has some new faces but this team just isn't ready to compete yet.

AFC North

Pittsburgh 11-5 Another division win should be in the cards. The defense will dominate again and the O-line should be better then last year with some guys staying in the same spot and having time to gel. Ben Roethlisburger shows again why he's one of the best QB's in the NFL and the running game looks better then a year ago. They just won't seem as strong as everything doesn't bounce their way but they should go to the playoffs again.

Bengals 10-6 Carson Palmer is healthy and has a good set of recievers. The young defense played well last year and should only get better with some key guys returning from injury. The O-line could be shaky at times but Palmer makes them look better then average. The lack of a run game is the only concern but when they can pass like they can it will make the running backs look better as they won't face any heavy front.

Baltimore 8-8 They lack weapons in the passing games but the defense and the running game are still strong. Something tells me they might do better then this but you can't have the same teams winning every year and something tells me Flacco doesn't look as good with more responsibility over the offense.

Browns 3-13 This team has problems on both sides of the ball and it will be tough for a QB to step up if the talent around him isn't desirable. They need a few years with good drafts to clean up the mess they got themselves into.

NFC South:

Carolina 10-6 They still have a smashmouth running game which helps control the clock and pull out some wins. The defense still can put some pressure on the QB and the only thing holding them back is a franchise passer.

Saints 9-7 The offense can be unstoppable but I don't like the defense anymore then I did last year. Reggie Bush could end up looking like a major bust if he gets injured again and the running game doesn't look very strong. They will be mediocre and miss the playoffs again.

Atlanta 7-9 Matt Ryan doesn't quite look like superman in year 2 and can't do it every week. The defense takes a step back with no real stars at any position.

Bucs 6-10 I don't know who will QB this team but they would probably be best with Leftwhich. They have a young head coach and the defense loses Lane Kiffin. The O-line is still strong and might muster some wins but the tampa cover 2 defense doesn't work as well if the pass rush can't come from the front 4.

AFC South

Colts 11-5 They make a return to the ground game that they favoured in their superbowl year but the defense doesn't impress me and they don't dominate they could with a better defense. If they can rush the passer well like they have in years pass they should take the division back from Tennessee.

Texans 10-6 They have individual stars on both sides of the ball but need to come together as a team and I think they earn a wildcard slot this year. If Schaub is healthy they can play with anyone on offense. The concern is the secondary where things could get ugly but a formidable front 4 makes it easier on them.

Titans 9-7 Shaky QB play could spell disaster. Kerry Collins is winding down and just has to hand off the ball in their power running game but they still don't have playmakers at WR and he's not a guy who can win games on his own anymore. They could even go back to Vince Young. The defense feels the loss of haynesworth and looks mediocre without him.

Jaguars 7-9 They lose half of their all important running game but look better then last year because they don't suffer so many devastating injuries on what is now a deep O-line. The defense doesn't have the same punch it used to though and this team needs more playmakers on offense.

MVP Adrian Peterson Vikings RB
OPOY Randy Moss NE WR
DPOY Mario Williams Houston DE
OROY Knowshon Moreno Broncos RB
DROY James Laurinatis Rams MLB

Superbowl: Giants over Patriots
[ Edited by BillWalsh on Aug 23, 2009 at 9:07 PM ]
Sweet.

My math may be off, but I total 274 wins and 238 losses. That's unpossible.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Sweet.

Originally posted by MaliCali:
Sweet.

Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Sweet.

Sweet.

Nice going, BillWalsh!

It's gonna' take hours to settle Cory down after this.

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Sweet.

Nice going, BillWalsh!

It's true. My anal-retentive nature borders on Rain Man-ish-ness.
Sweet.

Nice going, BillWalsh!

Lol then why did you say "unpossible"?
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Sweet.

Nice going, BillWalsh!

If peterson gets mvp he will get opoy too. im pretty sure anyway.

i dont see the panthers doing that well. theyre missing their best dt in kemo, and they didnt have a lot of depth there to begin with. i think delhomme is nearly done and muhammed may have lost a step as well. their only weapons really are steve smith and williams/stewart combo. i regret that we just handed them everret brown though. i think the saints take that division, their secondary is better this year. you could be right about some things though. i like what you said about seattle, tennessee, etc. i disagree about baltimore and the redskins.

Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Sweet.

Nice going, BillWalsh!

Originally posted by WillistheWall:
If peterson gets mvp he will get opoy too. im pretty sure anyway.

i dont see the panthers doing that well. theyre missing their best dt in kemo, and they didnt have a lot of depth there to begin with. i think delhomme is nearly done and muhammed may have lost a step as well. their only weapons really are steve smith and williams/stewart combo. i regret that we just handed them everret brown though. i think the saints take that division, their secondary is better this year. you could be right about some things though. i like what you said about seattle, tennessee, etc. i disagree about baltimore and the redskins.

thanks I realize the wins/losses are off a bit but this is how I think it will shake out from top to bottom. The skins I don't see beating out anyone else in that division but you're right I could be wrong about baltimore I just feel strongly about Pitt winning that division again and Cincy playing good football this year.
Share 49ersWebzone