LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 196 users in the forums

*****OFFICIAL NFL COMBINE SITE******

Now that the Senior Bowl has concluded, the horse trailer pulls away from Mobile, and heads directly North to Indianapolis and the NFL Combine, which begins in 24 days, from February 20-26.

Here is the link to the official combine site:
NFL Combine Site

The official site has excellent information, and will be updated with a full roster of invited players soon. In the meantime, sites like DraftDaddy.com, and others, do a fine job of stringing together a partial list.

In the meantime, I'll try to give updates on some of the word on training facilities (mostly in Southern California, Arizona, and Florida) that are helping athletes improved their forty times, 3-cone drill times, and vertical leap. I've got one guy on the inside who will throw me a bone or two from time to time (unfortunately with a fill-in-the-blank name).

On to Indianapolis.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 27, 2008 at 7:16 AM ]
  • banner49er
  • Info N/A
Thanks for the info and future updates MD
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Looking forward to more details from the training facilities. Thanks for putting in time and energy to provide us with all the information.
  • ezekiel39
  • Info N/A
Are you going to put up a new updated post-senior bowl 255 Big Board MD? Or do we have to wait until after the combine?
Originally posted by ezekiel39:
Are you going to put up a new updated post-senior bowl 255 Big Board MD? Or do we have to wait until after the combine?

It's up for dissecting.
  • ezekiel39
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ezekiel39:

It's up for dissecting.

Now i have to redo my mock i think. Thanks for the new info.
I can't wait to see what the top JR wideouts will bring to the combine!
Now that the Senior Bowl has concluded, the horse trailer pulls away from Mobile, and heads directly North to Indianapolis and the NFL Combine, which begins in 24 days, from February 20-26.

NFL Combine Site

The official site has excellent information, and will be updated with a full roster of invited players soon. In the meantime, sites like DraftDaddy.com, and others, do a fine job of stringing together a partial list.

In the meantime, I'll try to give updates on some of the word on training facilities (mostly in Southern California, Arizona, and Florida) that are helping athletes improved their forty times, 3-cone drill times, and vertical leap. I've got one guy on the inside who will throw me a bone or two from time to time (unfortunately with a fill-in-the-blank name).

On to Indianapolis.

That explains how you knew that a player last year was going to run a spectacularly slow 40 before anyone else...
Originally posted by Jakemall:

NFL Combine Site

On to Indianapolis.

That explains how you knew that a player last year was going to run a spectacularly slow 40 before anyone else...

The guy I know was at a different facility, but got word from his friend who was at Jarrett's facility. I trusted the secondhand word.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 27, 2008 at 4:26 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Now its official!!!

Here are a list of the tests that players will take during this week (some players will elect to bypass some, and do them at their campus workout...wienies):

1) Forty yard dash- Although this is the most discussed number at the combine, also critical are the 10-yard and 20-yard intervals. They test how quickly someone gets off the line. A slow 10 yard time is especially bad for a WR.

2) Vertical leap- The benchmark for studhood is 40".

3) Bench press- Anything more than 30 is a terrific number. Shorter-armed guys have a huge advantage over longer-armed players, so sometimes the numbers are a bit skewed. Some WR's and CB's will lift less than 10, which is not good. And, some offensive linemen will only put up numbers in the low twenties, which also looks bad.

4) Broad jump- Shows explosiveness.

5) 20 yard shuttle and 60 yard shuttle- Running back and forth between two lines, touching them along the way. Shows lateral quickness and explosiveness. Great for DL.

6) 3 Cone Drill- Players run through a series of three cones to show their change of direction skills, and ability to cut on a dime.

7) Wonderlic test- Intelligence test. Shows raw intelligence and the ability to problem solve. 50 is the high score. Anything in the 30's is solid. Frank Gore scored a reported 6, which is scary.

8) Physicals- Team doctors twist knees, joints, to see flexibility, and inspect previously injured areas.

9) Weigh-ins for height and weight.

Here is a sample from last year's combine (One note: the person reversed the broad jump and vertical jump columns)
2007 NFL combine sample
  • sddave
  • Info N/A
Jeff
Congrats on the Barrow's props. Just wanted to give you a QB update on Josh Johnson from USD. I live in San Diego and have seen him play several times. He is the real deal. I have been watching QB's for close to 50 years with a jaundiced eye. With his skill and Harbaugh's coaching, he is really something. Following is an email I sent to Matt Barrows. You might want to check out some of the links. I know for sure the Chargers are interested in him.

My Email Reply to Matt Barrows

Matt, thanks for the reply, you are the best. The reason I think he will be gone earlier is that I saw a huge blurb about him on the Chicago Bear web site, they really know who he is, he definitely is on their radar screen. From what I read, the beat writers at the East-West game paid him more attention than anyone else in the game. I would hate to see the Niners miss out on him, he would be perfect for Martz's offense. I am glad McCloughan has him on his radar screen. Here is a link to a great bio on him, you will be impressed. Harbaugh had a tremendous impact on him while at USD. On radio he said there is no doubt about his readiness for the NFL. http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/johnson_josh00.html
Here are his career stats:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=166992
Chicago Sun-times Assessment, Mike Milligan really high on him calls him the best QB coming out:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/758744,CST-SPT-mully25.article
Keep up the good work, Dave

My Initial email to Matt
Matt
Thanks for the good job in covering the Niners. I read your blog every day. Have been a fan since 1950. I live in San Diego and watch all of the Niner games. Do you know if they have their eye on Josh Johnson of USD? He was MVP of the East-West game. I left a voice message for McCloughan to take a close look at this kid. I have seen him play three times, without doubt he is the best college QB I have seen this year. Originally from Oakland Tech, what a story. He is much more gifted as a passer than Vince Young and just as good as runner. The Niners would have a black Steve Young on their hands. He can make every throw and sees the field incredibly well, much better than Vince Young. In one game he completed passes to 8 different receivers. Most of the media cannot believe his stats from this year. 43 TD's and 1 Int. Yes that is correct, unbelievable. I have heard he has already been elevated to third round already. Incredible accuracy. He could be the Niner starter for years to come. Let me know Matt is there has been any talk about him in Ninverland. Thanks much
Dave
UPDATE:

The Invite List has been posted, with the players invited so far. Simply lick on the link for the Combine, and head to the players.

More will be added in the future to round out the 300 players.
Just wanted to pass some numbers along. According to my unofficial count, last year 208 of the 255 drafted players participated at the combine, for a percentage of 82%.

In other words, if you are not a combine invitee, your chances are very slim to be drafted.
UPDATE: Thursday, 2/7, 11PM

The schedule of activities for the groups of players has been listed.

The first day of significance will be Thursday, February 21, when the OL and TE's take off their shirts, get measured and weighed, and are poked and prodded like cattle by team trainers and doctors. Not fun stuff.

The true fun begins on Sunday, the 24th, when WR's perform their workouts, including the 40, the vertical leap, three cone drills, shuttle drills, and most importantly, skill drills.
Share 49ersWebzone