LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 372 users in the forums

DB Watch List

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Denzel Ward looked really good tonight, very solid in man coverage. I see him as a 2nd round pick depending on his 40 of course.

He was beaten constantly in man on man coverage and kept holding near the goal line (only got called for it once or twice). Indiana was throwing at him all night. He had a couple nice plays, but he gave up at least 10-15 receptions.

For a guy who is projected as a first round pick (nfldraftscout has him as their #2 CB in the class), he didn't look very impressive.

I think he's a little overrated on some scouting sites because Ohio State has produced a lot of first round picks recently. He's only 5'10 and isn't as athletic as Lattimore.

Hard to trust Ohio State and Alabama players. Seem to always 1 or 2 high ranked corners. Like Conley last year was overrated imo
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Denzel Ward looked really good tonight, very solid in man coverage. I see him as a 2nd round pick depending on his 40 of course.

He was beaten constantly in man on man coverage and kept holding near the goal line (only got called for it once or twice). Indiana was throwing at him all night. He had a couple nice plays, but he gave up at least 10-15 receptions.

For a guy who is projected as a first round pick (nfldraftscout has him as their #2 CB in the class), he didn't look very impressive.

I think he's a little overrated on some scouting sites because Ohio State has produced a lot of first round picks recently. He's only 5'10 and isn't as athletic as Lattimore.

What game were you watching, I guess me and the announcers were watching something else. lol

Denzel Ward: four tackles, one interception, five pass breakups
The Buckeyes' top cornerback this year, Ward proved why in his first game as CB1. His interception was quite impressive and so was his play throughout the game.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/09/ohio-state-starts-low-topples-indiana-in-season-opener-49-21/

Now show me where he had a bad game, instead of what you THINK you saw?

What game were you watching, I guess me and the announcers were watching something else. lol

The Buckeyes' top cornerback this year, Ward proved why in his first game as CB1. His interception was quite impressive and so was his play throughout the game.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/09/ohio-state-starts-low-topples-indiana-in-season-opener-49-21/

He got owned by Cobbs in the first half then recovered
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

No offense, but seriously what game were you guys watching, in the first quarter alone he had three pass break ups. I honestly think some of you had the wrong number, but I do think he had one or two catches on him but he wasn't beaten constantly. lol

No offense, but seriously what game were you guys watching, in the first quarter alone he had three pass break ups. I honestly think some of you had the wrong number, but I do think he had one or two catches on him but he wasn't beaten constantly. lol

I watched the whole game, first half I was literally thinking throw at 12 throw at 12, then they switched him to the other side of the field and Indiana started throwing successfully to that side. I think even the announcers said on his INT "makes up for earlier". The only thing that saved him was the pass rush improved. Guy plays with his back to the ball
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

I watched the whole game, first half I was literally thinking throw at 12 throw at 12, then they switched him to the other side of the field and Indiana started throwing successfully to that side. I think even the announcers said on his INT "makes up for earlier". The only thing that saved him was the pass rush improved. Guy plays with his back to the ball

That's funny, why no mention of his three pass break ups in the first quarter then? It may have shown that he was using bad technique, but if you watched him, he was gettiing his head turned around and playing both the receiver and ball every time he was in man coverage.

I'm not even calling Ward the best CB in college, matter of fact I think he's a 2nd round pick at best.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Keep an eye on Dee Delaney 6-1 195 CB a new transfer to Miami. Was playing at Citadel last year. From the games I have seen he seems like great fit for a cover 3 defense. Reads and reacts very well. Really like what I have found on him. Plus has an interview on YouTube and personality fits what we tend to draft. Very respectful polite young man.
Will Blackmon just got released from the Redskins
Asa Jackson may well have earned a roster spot...Coach has been impressed with him, not just last night. We can definitely use a CB like him back there. Witherspoon's going to need time to adjust to NFL coverages...he has plenty of talent, but it's a big jump from CO in the Pac-12. RR needs to step up his game...we all know he can be special, & he needs to be starting Sep 10th. I think we're pretty good at S...especially if Ward can get truly healthy. Reid's perfect in his role & Tartt's been more aggressive, which is good to see given his physical talent. Like Jerome as a b/u. I haven't even looked at FA's or next year's draft...too consumed with what's about to happen (i.e. the beginning of the resurgence). One thing's for certain, Lynch won't hesitate to pull the trigger on good players who get cut. It feels so good to have a GM who's on top of things and in synch with his HC. I really see great things for this dynamic leadership team.

So watch Will Blackmon and the 49ers secondary got it....

That's funny, why no mention of his three pass break ups in the first quarter then? It may have shown that he was using bad technique, but if you watched him, he was gettiing his head turned around and playing both the receiver and ball every time he was in man coverage.

I'm not even calling Ward the best CB in college, matter of fact I think he's a 2nd round pick at best.

He had a decent game. When you're thrown at 20 times, you're bound to make a few plays on the ball. Ohio State's secondary as a whole was pathetic in the first half. Indiana could not block at all the entire game so Indiana's QB was forced to throw jump balls to guys who were covered which lends itself to lots of pass breakups.

Ward was the best cornerback for Ohio State and made a great play on a slant in the first half to break that up, but he was the best player in an awful group of corners which isn't saying much.

Ward is definitely an NFL prospect and will probably be a 2nd or 3rd round pick since he has speed and decent ball skills, but this was not an impressive performance for a guy who was compared to Marshon Lattimore and thought of as a potential first round pick going into the season. Teams avoid elite cornerbacks in college. Cobbs feasted against Ward in the first half and Ward got away with a couple holds (he also got called on one in the endzone). Lattimore would have shut Cobbs down, especially considering Indiana had no time to throw the ball.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Sep 1, 2017 at 1:49 PM ]
Jalen Davis Utah State
Chauncey Gardner S Florida

Good in run support
Chauncey Gardner S Florida

Good in run support

He down
Share 49ersWebzone