LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 301 users in the forums

Geek's X-mas Mock

Originally posted by njniner499:
Love front office and staff. But does Pettine run a true 3-4?

He runs a 4-3 under, same as Fangio. Lots of nickel looks.
Originally posted by yung_prophet_one:
i don't understand why u would want to trade a high 2nd round pick for garapollo??? mallet, Cassell, ect isnt enough for us to understand its a system thing

An absolute lack of logic in your statement.

Cassel sucked, so Garoppolo must suck as well? Also Mallett sucked while with New England.

Cassel was a 7th round pick that didn't start in college. Garoppolo was a 2nd round pick that was a 4 year starter in college and highly regarded coming into the draft. Cassel had a good season with the Patriots throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Garoppolo is a far more talented player overall.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 24, 2016 at 2:53 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Whew...that's a boatload to digest. Overall, there's a lot to like. Agree, it is a lot of blocks to fall in line. I wouldn't necessarily count on Kyle Shanahan...he may not want to work for his Dad. He did in Cleveland for awhile, 'til the toxicity between MS and Snyder was too much to take. I'd like to see them together, but they may not be a packaged deal.

I'd strongly consider Brandon Williams or Bennie Logan at NT. Yeah, they'd cost more, but both are better than Sly Williams. The middle of our defense has to be rebuilt, big-time. There's cap space to pay for a really good one.

I'd sign either Jack Doyle or Martellus Bennett at TE. Very disappointed in Celek...I think he needs to go.

Like your draft, but I'd opt for Pat Mahomes at QB. I get the skepticism of playing at Texas Tech, but he's got abilities to play in virtually any style of offense. This dude can really play and would be a good rookie to develop, IMHO.

I tip my cap to you, Geek. This is one of the most detailed, well thought out mocks I've seen in some time. Great job, man.

Thanks for the kind words. Lots to fall into place but isn't that what a mock is all about?

Regardless of our HC and GM next season, I still think 90% of the moves outlined in this mock apply if Kelly/Gamble take over next season.

Agree with the Williams/Logan desire. However, I would imagine an Armstead-Buckner duo will primarily take the snaps in a 4-2-5 scheme at DT. That being said, I think paying top dollar for a NT that will see less than 50% of snaps is a lot, and not sure if a Marathe-analytics based evaluation will deem it viable for the 49ers. We've seen it with Franklin, Sopoaga, Williams, Dorsey, and Dial. It's just not a position we spend a lot of money on historically.

I'm down for Pat Mahomes in the 2nd if we can get Garrett in R1 and a very good WR in free agency (swap Garcon for Jeffery). And we might see that happen with the Browns win today.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Love the creativity and all the effort put in. If it went down like this I would be very happy.

Has Beadles played C before? I think Beadles has done a solid job for us but just curious.
I'd be down with this offseason. If you're going to dream, dream BIG. Well done, Geek
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Always enjoy your mocks GEEK even if your staff (front office and coaches) is always unrealistic.
Like everything but the Gilmore pick I am a gamecock fan he was overrated then and now but like everything else.
  • Jasta
  • Veteran
Really clever mock. If it falls that way I'm taking you out to buy lottery tickets but I like the thinking.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
i don't understand why u would want to trade a high 2nd round pick for garapollo??? mallet, Cassell, ect isnt enough for us to understand its a system thing

An absolute lack of logic in your statement.

Cassel sucked, so Garoppolo must suck as well? Also Mallett sucked while with New England.

Cassel was a 7th round pick that didn't start in college. Garoppolo was a 2nd round pick that was a 4 year starter in college and highly regarded coming into the draft. Cassel had a good season with the Patriots throwing to Randy Moss and Wes Welker. Garoppolo is a far more talented player overall.

It's certainly not a lack of logic. It's a true concern. Brissett is the only QB that didn't look outstanding in NE's offense. That goes back like a decade it seems.

Garappolo would most likely be an upgrade and I'm not against the trade; however, there's plenty of risk with bringing him in. It very well could look like a Brock Osweiller type of situation for us.
3rd picks is an ACL guy

Just because of that, this draft is a Fail lol

A lot going on here ( to make a reality) but I'd be one happy niner fan if this happened
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Like all but a couple of things. Brooks though expensive has been a consistent player. Not great but consistent. So I would keep him. Brock on the other hand totally inconsistent can't be counted on.

Keep Brooks drop Brock. Totally down for the rest. Nice job
Originally posted by Andra:
Like all but a couple of things. Brooks though expensive has been a consistent player. Not great but consistent. So I would keep him. Brock on the other hand totally inconsistent can't be counted on.

I see zero point in keeping Brooks at $9 million take that money and get a younger pass rusher, dude isn't part of the rebuild.

It's gonna cost SF like $650K to cut him, it would be different if he was a consistent OLB but he's not (get top 5 OLB money) . Ask him to take a massive cut or see ya.
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Andra:

I see zero point in keeping Brooks at $9 million take that money and get a younger pass rusher, dude isn't part of the rebuild.

It's gonna cost SF like $650K to cut him, it would be different if he was a consistent OLB but he's not (get top 5 OLB money) . Ask him to take a massive cut or see ya.

Ok, I'll agree that he is not worth 9 mil and he may not be a part of the rebuild but I do think he is a consistent player not great but you know what you are going to get. Brock on the other hand cannot be counted on. Gets burned to often and struggles with getting his head turned around defending the pass.

We also had a string of QBs look good in our system during the glory years. It doesn't mean they are all bad. Analyze the skill set and mental make-up of each player.
Share 49ersWebzone