LISTEN: The 49ers Pick Is In! →

There are 379 users in the forums

My one and only draft

• fan49
  • Veteran
So we are rebuilding, and that means we need players all over the field. Top needs in order OG, OLB, -OT - if Davis doesn't comeback even if he doesn't fit the offense, DT, QB and MLB. I am in full belief with drafting bpa, QB has to come later in the draft and Gabbert can keep qb warm and or excel. And I will do no trades. But if Qb is the only thing available at 7 I would trade back to get more starters. CBS BIG BOARD

1. DeForest Buckner - de I believe he will be there, with bosa, hargreaves, wentz, ramsey, tunsil, and miles jack gone almost no matter what. He will be a beast on our line, and instantly his presence will be felt.

He should get even better with NFL coaching and has potential to be a long-term pro starter, projecting better than his former teammate Arik Armstead (17th overall pick to the 49ers in the 2015 NFL Draft).

2. Cody Whitehair - OG We have Staley, Beadles, Kilgore, ______, And brown or davis, Best gaurd in the draft, Ranked 37 by cbs right where we pick! I would like to give Gabbert, or kaep, a decent line, I wont argue who will start. But I will say Gabbert has never had a decent one.

Adequate size for the position and uses his wide base to handle speed off the edge, staying balanced and sinking his hips at the point of attack. He squares well and rides defenders away from the ball carrier, using his punch and hand placement to lock on and engage. Plays with veteran awareness, displaying excellent vision and instincts to recognize pressures pre-snap.

3. Sterling Shephard - wr I think hed be a great addition to the competition opposite Smith.

Coordinated athlete with electric feet off the line of scrimmage and at the top of his route to gain separation and give his quarterback a target. He has quick eyes to make snap decision, tracking the ball well to make tough grabs look easy. Displays quick feet and movements at the line of scrimmage to avoid press and works well in tight spaces with his shifty moves and quick eyes.

Shepard is a nightmare to cover because he possesses the straight-line speed to beat defenders over the top, as well as the quickness and balance to change directions in a flash. He shows soft, reliable hands to pluck the ball outside of his frame, as well as the awareness and toughness to "body catch" when necessary to protect the ball. Brings additional value with punt return experience.

4a. TYLER MATAKEVICH - ILB Natural Leader, and very good instincts.

The unquestioned leader of the Owls, Matakevich doesn't play with hesitation, showing terrific first step quickness and anticipation to read and react with little wasted movement. He takes smart angles with strong hands to make finger-tip tackles and take-on blocks, shedding to unglue himself from bodies. Has terrific timing as a blitzer and plays like a controlled mad man, hitting another gear once he sees red. He also does a nice job floating in zone coverage to attack throwing lanes and break up throws.

4.b Dak Prescott - QB Someone who has good vision and can take off whenever. Good fit for Chip's offense. IMO better value here for a QB to have impact guys early. Needs like 2 years of coaching to get to potential

Scouts are most impressed with his development above the neck, showing above average awareness as a passer, recognizing things quickly and working through his progressions to easily load and fire. Displays an ability to use his eyes and hold defenders and has a quick memory to move on from mistakes and not let the negative plays linger. Overall, he has a much more natural feel in the passing game than in 2013 and appears in complete control of that offense.
When he does step into his throws, Prescott can deliver strikes. He's a very dangerous runner, combining aggression, agility and the power to break arm tackles.

5a. Tyler Ervin RB - Shifty, can make, can make catches on the run. Good back for chip to coach up

Runs much tougher than he looks. Excellent balance to withstand contact and wiggle out of the grasp to always pick up more yards than he should. Smart runner and doesn't take many punishing hits, but the main reason he has a chance at the next level is how quickly he reads his blocks to determine his best north-south path and hit his top speed instantly.

5b. HASSAN RIDGEWAY - DT The guy came into college as a 250 lb edge rusher. Added 50 more. Now just disrupts the line of scrimmage.

Proportionate body mass with smooth body control. Powerfully-built and not an easy player to move, cut or get off his feet. Excellent initial momentum to barrel through arm bars and bully his way through the shoulders of blockers. Stacks and releases at the line of scrimmage with ferocious hands use to latch-and-pull. Controls the point of attack and doesn't allow blockers to dictate his path. Very aware player and anticipates play designs due to his backfield vision and football aptitude. Versatile experience, seeing snaps at various techniques inside and outside on the defensive line. Plays with attitude and genuinely enjoys contact. Violent striker and finishes plays that he should.

5c. Tavon Young - CB Sounds a little like honey badger...

Always around the ball and ready to make plays as a tough, instinctive corner who has shown good ball-skills. Solid in coverage and in run support. Has a good feel in pass coverage, especially sitting in zone. Does a good job of watching/reading the quarterback's eyes. He's quicker than fast and shows the ability to effectively break on the ball, including at the Senior Bowl where he showed terrific timing and closing speed to break up multiple passes during practices, ripping at the ball as it arrived. He can play press and can be effective in man coverage. Against the run, Young is more than solid and shows good fundamentals. Feisty player and a good teammate who has displayed leadership skills, especially the past two seasons.

6a. Ken Crawley CB - I believe he is a sleeper. Crawley has a wiry, athletic frame which appears perhaps better suited to an NBA court than an NFL field. Like a point guard, Crawley possesses light feet and fluid hips to change directions and guard his opponent, mirroring receivers' movements. He accelerates smoothly, showing the straight-line speed to handle perimeter duty against even explosive vertical threats and closes downhill quickly. Crawley locates the ball quickly and doesn't panic when it is in the air, showing good hand-eye coordination to snake his arm between the receivers to break up the pass.

6b. ANTHONY ZETTEL - DE I Think he can stand up, or add 10 lbs and compete.
He makes a living by beating blockers to gaps due to his first step quickness and snap anticipation, using a variety of hand moves and an unrelenting motor. Consistent snap anticipation to attack blockers before they have a chance to react. Can beat his man with aggressive hands, lateral agility and a deadly spin move to blow up the A-gap.

6c. REES ODHIAMBO - OG Has a huge upside, has barely even started to reach his potential.
Odhiamabo looks the part of an NFL offensive lineman with broad shoulders, reasonable arm length and good overall weight distribution with enough room for additional mass. He is quick off the snap and finishes through the whistle with strong hands and toughness. Quick, active hands and plays with a grappler's mentality, getting in an extra shove when he can.

6d. Avery Young OT - Will probably move inside is agile enough at this weight, but could shed some to fit the offense. Can never have enough line competition. Camp body..
Showed versatility for the Tigers, playing both inside and out over this career. That is always a big plus in the NFL, especially as a lineman on either side of the ball. Has terrific size and length. Good straight-line speed and shows the ability to get out of his stance and on top of the defender quickly. He can pull and trap and get to the second level. Was more successful playing guard, and is a better run blocker at this stage who can move his feet. Effective as a zone blocker and showed good awareness at the line of scrimmage. Adept at going one way, putting a hat on a defender with a good initial blow and then completely changing directions and attacking someone else.

There it is again I went BPA every pick, with slight need. Every player I picked was ranked right where I picked him, give or take only a few slots. Go ahead Have at it
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM ]
  • Andra
  • Veteran
Sign me up
I would be pretty d@mn happy with that Draft!
If this happened Trent would get Two Thumbs up!
I would think Shepard Sterling would be gone in the first 2 rounds. If he was a few inches taller hed be the #1 WR in this draft. He has it all 4.4 speed runs good routes and has a 40 vert.
Dak in the 4th? Did Jerry Jones sleep through the 2nd day?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
People have to stop this Dak Prescott BS.
Fan...one of the best mocks I've seen. My only concern is Whitehair's strength...only 16 bench presses, which isn't good. He'll need to spend considerable time in the weight room, but should prosper under OL Coach Pat Flaherty.
Originally posted by fan49:
So we are rebuilding, and that means we need players all over the field. Top needs in order OG, OLB, -OT - if Davis doesn't comeback even if he doesn't fit the offense, DT, QB and MLB. I am in full belief with drafting bpa, QB has to come later in the draft and Gabbert can keep qb warm and or excel. And I will do no trades. But if Qb is the only thing available at 7 I would trade back to get more starters. CBS BIG BOARD

1. DeForest Buckner - de I believe he will be there, with bosa, hargreaves, wentz, ramsey, tunsil, and miles jack gone almost no matter what. He will be a beast on our line, and instantly his presence will be felt.

He should get even better with NFL coaching and has potential to be a long-term pro starter, projecting better than his former teammate Arik Armstead (17th overall pick to the 49ers in the 2015 NFL Draft).

2. Cody Whitehair - OG We have Staley, Beadles, Kilgore, ______, And brown or davis, Best gaurd in the draft, Ranked 37 by cbs right where we pick! I would like to give Gabbert, or kaep, a decent line, I wont argue who will start. But I will say Gabbert has never had a decent one.

Adequate size for the position and uses his wide base to handle speed off the edge, staying balanced and sinking his hips at the point of attack. He squares well and rides defenders away from the ball carrier, using his punch and hand placement to lock on and engage. Plays with veteran awareness, displaying excellent vision and instincts to recognize pressures pre-snap.

3. Sterling Shephard - wr I think hed be a great addition to the competition opposite Smith.

Coordinated athlete with electric feet off the line of scrimmage and at the top of his route to gain separation and give his quarterback a target. He has quick eyes to make snap decision, tracking the ball well to make tough grabs look easy. Displays quick feet and movements at the line of scrimmage to avoid press and works well in tight spaces with his shifty moves and quick eyes.

Shepard is a nightmare to cover because he possesses the straight-line speed to beat defenders over the top, as well as the quickness and balance to change directions in a flash. He shows soft, reliable hands to pluck the ball outside of his frame, as well as the awareness and toughness to "body catch" when necessary to protect the ball. Brings additional value with punt return experience.

4a. TYLER MATAKEVICH - ILB Natural Leader, and very good instincts.

The unquestioned leader of the Owls, Matakevich doesn't play with hesitation, showing terrific first step quickness and anticipation to read and react with little wasted movement. He takes smart angles with strong hands to make finger-tip tackles and take-on blocks, shedding to unglue himself from bodies. Has terrific timing as a blitzer and plays like a controlled mad man, hitting another gear once he sees red. He also does a nice job floating in zone coverage to attack throwing lanes and break up throws.

4.b Dak Prescott - QB Someone who has good vision and can take off whenever. Good fit for Chip's offense. IMO better value here for a QB to have impact guys early. Needs like 2 years of coaching to get to potential

Scouts are most impressed with his development above the neck, showing above average awareness as a passer, recognizing things quickly and working through his progressions to easily load and fire. Displays an ability to use his eyes and hold defenders and has a quick memory to move on from mistakes and not let the negative plays linger. Overall, he has a much more natural feel in the passing game than in 2013 and appears in complete control of that offense.
When he does step into his throws, Prescott can deliver strikes. He's a very dangerous runner, combining aggression, agility and the power to break arm tackles.

5a. Tyler Ervin RB - Shifty, can make, can make catches on the run. Good back for chip to coach up

Runs much tougher than he looks. Excellent balance to withstand contact and wiggle out of the grasp to always pick up more yards than he should. Smart runner and doesn't take many punishing hits, but the main reason he has a chance at the next level is how quickly he reads his blocks to determine his best north-south path and hit his top speed instantly.

5b. HASSAN RIDGEWAY - DT The guy came into college as a 250 lb edge rusher. Added 50 more. Now just disrupts the line of scrimmage.

Proportionate body mass with smooth body control. Powerfully-built and not an easy player to move, cut or get off his feet. Excellent initial momentum to barrel through arm bars and bully his way through the shoulders of blockers. Stacks and releases at the line of scrimmage with ferocious hands use to latch-and-pull. Controls the point of attack and doesn't allow blockers to dictate his path. Very aware player and anticipates play designs due to his backfield vision and football aptitude. Versatile experience, seeing snaps at various techniques inside and outside on the defensive line. Plays with attitude and genuinely enjoys contact. Violent striker and finishes plays that he should.

5c. Tavon Young - CB Sounds a little like honey badger...

Always around the ball and ready to make plays as a tough, instinctive corner who has shown good ball-skills. Solid in coverage and in run support. Has a good feel in pass coverage, especially sitting in zone. Does a good job of watching/reading the quarterback's eyes. He's quicker than fast and shows the ability to effectively break on the ball, including at the Senior Bowl where he showed terrific timing and closing speed to break up multiple passes during practices, ripping at the ball as it arrived. He can play press and can be effective in man coverage. Against the run, Young is more than solid and shows good fundamentals. Feisty player and a good teammate who has displayed leadership skills, especially the past two seasons.

6a. Ken Crawley CB - I believe he is a sleeper. Crawley has a wiry, athletic frame which appears perhaps better suited to an NBA court than an NFL field. Like a point guard, Crawley possesses light feet and fluid hips to change directions and guard his opponent, mirroring receivers' movements. He accelerates smoothly, showing the straight-line speed to handle perimeter duty against even explosive vertical threats and closes downhill quickly. Crawley locates the ball quickly and doesn't panic when it is in the air, showing good hand-eye coordination to snake his arm between the receivers to break up the pass.

6b. ANTHONY ZETTEL - DE I Think he can stand up, or add 10 lbs and compete.
He makes a living by beating blockers to gaps due to his first step quickness and snap anticipation, using a variety of hand moves and an unrelenting motor. Consistent snap anticipation to attack blockers before they have a chance to react. Can beat his man with aggressive hands, lateral agility and a deadly spin move to blow up the A-gap.

6c. REES ODHIAMBO - OG Has a huge upside, has barely even started to reach his potential.
Odhiamabo looks the part of an NFL offensive lineman with broad shoulders, reasonable arm length and good overall weight distribution with enough room for additional mass. He is quick off the snap and finishes through the whistle with strong hands and toughness. Quick, active hands and plays with a grappler's mentality, getting in an extra shove when he can.

6d. Avery Young OT - Will probably move inside is agile enough at this weight, but could shed some to fit the offense. Can never have enough line competition. Camp body..
Showed versatility for the Tigers, playing both inside and out over this career. That is always a big plus in the NFL, especially as a lineman on either side of the ball. Has terrific size and length. Good straight-line speed and shows the ability to get out of his stance and on top of the defender quickly. He can pull and trap and get to the second level. Was more successful playing guard, and is a better run blocker at this stage who can move his feet. Effective as a zone blocker and showed good awareness at the line of scrimmage. Adept at going one way, putting a hat on a defender with a good initial blow and then completely changing directions and attacking someone else.

There it is again I went BPA every pick, with slight need. Every player I picked was ranked right where I picked him, give or take only a few slots. Go ahead Have at it
2 picks of 2 CBs? and no OLB? really don`t need CBs,not an area of weakness.....Like Buckner and Shepard ,Ervin,Prescott ,but if Goff is there when we pick,got to take Him....no repeat of the Aaron Rodgers mistake again.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Since07:
I would think Shepard Sterling would be gone in the first 2 rounds. If he was a few inches taller hed be the #1 WR in this draft. He has it all 4.4 speed runs good routes and has a 40 vert.

I went by rankings on CBS. Every player was very close to where I selected them

• fan49
  • Veteran
2 picks of 2 CBs? and no OLB? really don`t need CBs,not an area of weakness.....Like Buckner and Shepard ,Ervin,Prescott ,but if Goff is there when we pick,got to take Him....no repeat of the Aaron Rodgers mistake again.
I went bpa above all. We have no stars at corner so a little comp is great. And Goff is not bpa period at 7. And once again went bpa
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Dak in the 4th? Did Jerry Jones sleep through the 2nd day?

That's where he is on big board for CBS. And him getting in trouble got him there ptobably
Very solid but no pass rush. If Tank and Harold can step up that would be huge but in case they dont, we need a guy that can get to the QB consistently
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

And also my 6th round pick can stand-up. But with buckner, and armstead we should have more pass rush, based off how they will eat up the oline
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 7, 2016 at 9:01 PM ]
Whitehair's bench press might make him slip down a notch or two. GMs love physical ability, they assume players can be fixed. Whitehair might fall down a round or two.
Share 49ersWebzone