LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 229 users in the forums

My one and only draft

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
sorry not sure how you can say Goff or wentz aren't BPA though? They play the most important position in sports if a team doesn't have a long term answer for QB they move up the board IMO. I think both will be good before they make it to 7 thus letting Buckner fall to us.

Also Reid hasn't been elite but he's far from bad...Ramsey has talent but had yet to play a single game in the NFL. Pass rusher makes the secondary better that's how Baalke rolls and we've spent 3 top 40 picks on DBs the past three years.

Well most draft boards have Goff ranked 10+. That doesn't mean where they think he will be drafted. Now a qb needy team will move him up just because he is a qb. But as of today as far as talent, jack, buckner, and Ramsey are all better, and ranked higher. Its pretty obvious if you took a team with no holes, Goff would be about 15 on their big board. And as much as people say we can't have a Rodgers situation again. We can't miss like on Smith again. Even though I liked him. When you miss on a qb in first round you get set back farther than any other position and it doesn't matter what you got. Your held back
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 8, 2016 at 10:35 AM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
sorry not sure how you can say Goff or wentz aren't BPA though? They play the most important position in sports if a team doesn't have a long term answer for QB they move up the board IMO. I think both will be good before they make it to 7 thus letting Buckner fall to us.

Also Reid hasn't been elite but he's far from bad...Ramsey has talent but had yet to play a single game in the NFL. Pass rusher makes the secondary better that's how Baalke rolls and we've spent 3 top 40 picks on DBs the past three years.

Well most draft boards have Goff ranked 10 . That doesn't mean where they think he will be drafted. Now a qb needy team will move him up just because he is a qb. But as of today as far as talent, jack, buckner, and Ramsey are all better, and ranked higher. Its pretty obvious if you took a team with no holes, Goff would be about 15 on their big board

http://www.drafttek.com/m/Top-100-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2016.asp

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641197/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

You can find big boards that support both sides. IMO you can say go BPA but your better include Goff/wentz going in the top 10 because it's gonna happen whether or not you think they are top 10 talents which will effect who your drafting regardless. Also don't know of any teams that don't have holes

Love Jack but he has what one year as a LB? He's coming off surgery as well. Goff was the first true freshmen to start at cal and broke all the records on a horrible team. I'm cool with going in a couple directions but if Goff and Buckner are both sitting there I'm going Goff. Both are very good ( Buckner might be a better player at his position) but one player plays a much more important position and we currently don't have a long term plan at QB.

I mean I love your draft if we can't get Goff.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641197/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

You can find big boards that support both sides. IMO you can say go BPA but your better include Goff/wentz going in the top 10 because it's gonna happen whether or not you think they are top 10 talents which will effect who your drafting regardless. Also don't know of any teams that don't have holes

Love Jack but he has what one year as a LB? He's coming off surgery as well. Goff was the first true freshmen to start at cal and broke all the records on a horrible team. I'm cool with going in a couple directions but if Goff and Buckner are both sitting there I'm going Goff. Both are very good ( Buckner might be a better player at his position) but one player plays a much more important position and we currently don't have a long term plan at QB.

We all appreciate Mad Dogs board right? Goff is 20 there and i think abs too
1. Would rather have a QB here - Goff or Wentz

2. Too high to take a OG, especially in this draft. This draft is deep in the trenches, O and D line. Plus, Tiller looked very good last season

3. I'm sorry 5-10, 194lbs simply won't cut it in the NFC west. Better suited for maybe the AFC East

4. See 1.

5a. You do realize we're in the NFC West, right? I'm not a fan of sub-210lbs RB's.

5b. Got him in my mock.

5c. "Big people beat up little people" Plus, I would like to see us draft a CB much higher. We have enough mid-late round CB's on this roster as it is.

6a. Great height, but way too lean and lanky for a physical defense. 187lbs simply won't do. But ok pick.

6b. Got him in my mock too.

6c. Great player - a bit raw, but very good. However, I'm not sure Baalke can get away with drafting injured players this year. This will be a gamble pick I don't see Baalke making this draft. This is an important draft for Baalke.

6d. Got this kid in my mock as well.
  • fan49
  • Veteran

I believe they will go top ten. I dont personally see goff as top ten talent. I dont even like getting a qb ever in the first round. Because there is much more to drafting a qb than any other position. And if they have the slightest flaw, mechanics, brain whatever it could set a team back for 5 years lol. But you can easily gauge more of a sure thing with other positions, and if they end up being a bust it doesnt hurt nearly as much. Now i fully believe alex was handled completely wrong, but regardless he was a bust for how long with us until his last few years. How many fans could go another 5 years of garbage if goff or wentz is a bust? and there is no way to know. Its not just film he has to be perfect in personality and football IQ.

While I value their opionions I don't see them as final say...if Goff and Buckner are both sitting there at 7 we go Goff. Blaine is a FA, Kap is on his way out, and we have no other QB signed past this season....if Goff is gone the Buckner would be a fine pick.

Goff is 9 on MadDogs board.
I believe they will go top ten. I dont personally see goff as top ten talent. I dont even like getting a qb ever in the first round. Because there is much more to drafting a qb than any other position. And if they have the slightest flaw, mechanics, brain whatever it could set a team back for 5 years lol. But you can easily gauge more of a sure thing with other positions, and if they end up being a bust it doesnt hurt nearly as much. Now i fully believe alex was handled completely wrong, but regardless he was a bust for how long with us until his last few years. How many fans could go another 5 years of garbage if goff or wentz is a bust? and there is no way to know. Its not just film he has to be perfect in personality and football IQ.

Disagree on not wanting to take a QB in the first...this is a QB driven league and more often than not the top QB prospects are at the top of drafts. The NFL is not the same as it was in the 80s where you could get by with poor QB play....if you think the reason a QB shouldn't be drafted high is because if they bust it sets the team back yrs then you need to find a better talent evaluators. Players that touch the ball more than anyone else take priority vs any other position.

And what do you mean not enough flim? Goff has been a starter since he was a freshmen! That's why you pay scouts and GMs big bucks to makes those decisions. You can't just keep drafting late rd Qbs that's aren't even close to playing in the NFL and throwing them out there jeez man lol....without a capable QB your season is already over.

if Goff is there he's the pick, If he's not Buckner is soild...I have us picking Buckner and dak in my next mock but that's only because someone most likely moves up for Goff.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Apr 8, 2016 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by English:

I thought I read him say that
  • fan49
  • Veteran

You were right ab had him 20 but buckner is bpa still
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 8, 2016 at 12:49 PM ]

You were right an had him 20 but buckner is bpa still

I don't mind either way, but bpa value should take into account the impact or value of the position. So, to take it to extremes, if the best player in the draft was a punter, despite him being the bpa he is still a punter. So I would love Buckner and he will probably have a great impact on the NFL. And Goff's bust potential is probably higher than Buckner's (judging by position not by the individuals themselves). So then you have to take into account the need of the team and the impact at the position before assessing who is, for this team, the bpa.

You were right an had him 20 but buckner is bpa still

IMO BPA is kinda baloney, your telling me hypothetically if the Jags were going BPA and had Goff rated as their best player in this draft they'd draft him if he was there at 5?? Same with the Ravens? position of need plays a HUGE part when setting up your draft board as well.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
IMO BPA is kinda baloney, your telling me hypothetically if the Jags were going BPA and had Goff rated as their best player in this draft they'd draft him if he was there at 5?? Same with the Ravens? position of need plays a HUGE part when setting up your draft board as well.

Not really when You need everything besides safety

Not really when You need everything besides safety

you didn't answer my question? would they draft Goff if he was BPA?

when judging "BPA" you need to look at your team and the needs and how you value each position along with the depth of the talent at each position in each draft....These would be my 3 most important positions

1. QB-we have ZERO long-term answers here
2. LT-we are set for the next 3 years
3. pass rush-we drafted DL in the 1st last season, but need more talent.

Once again I like you draft and wouldn't hate it at all....but for you to say we don't need to draft a QB if someone like Goff is available isn't smart given what we currently have.

What is it that you don't like about Goff?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
you didn't answer my question? would they draft Goff if he was BPA?

when judging "BPA" you need to look at your team and the needs and how you value each position along with the depth of the talent at each position in each draft....These would be my 3 most important positions

1. QB-we have ZERO long-term answers here
2. LT-we are set for the next 3 years
3. pass rush-we drafted DL in the 1st last season, but need more talent.

Once again I like you draft and wouldn't hate it at all....but for you to say we don't need to draft a QB if someone like Goff is available isn't smart given what we currently have.

What is it that you don't like about Goff?

yes they should imo. We dont know #1 for sure. Blaine has never even had an opportunity to excel. No one can argue that, did he play terrible yeah. And thats what everyone judges. But he has his first and only shot to show he has it or doesnt. 2. RT we are not. And thank you. But I would love to see if more or less 1st round qb's end up being elite. I have no idea and not willing to put in the research lol
Share 49ersWebzone