There are 111 users in the forums

Quick Fix 49ers

I may be in the minority but I do not think our current 49ers are as far off the rails as most. See my points.

- The running game will be fixed with healthy RB's and a better blocking guard.

- The passing game will be fixed with a new tackle.

- The pass defense will be fixed with a better pass rush and healthy linebackers.

Here is my five-step plan for a quick fix that I think is realistic.

Step One - Clean house in the coaching staff and hire Mike Holmgren.
Step Two - Resign Ian Williams (NT), Anquan Boldin (WR), Garrett Celek (TE), Alex Boone (OG).
Step Three - Sign free agents Kelechi Osemele (Guard) and Muhammad Wilkerson (3-4 DE).
Step Four - Draft Justin Goff (Quarterback) and Ethan Pocic or Max Tuerk (Center) and Le'Raven Clark (OT) in case Trent Brown doesn't work out.
Step Five - Through either draft / free agency / trade we should supplement the team with best available RB and 3-4 OLB.

Playoffs baby!

I'm not sure why you're assuming Hyde becomes healthy all of a sudden, but acquiring a 2nd RB would help. Improving our offensive line will help, but mid-round rookies and one free agent guard won't fix the line immediately.

Passing game won't magically get fixed with one free agent guard, 2 rookie linemen, and a rookie QB. We have nothing going for us right now in the passing game - we don't have a good QB, we don't have good linemen (other than Staley), and we don't have good receivers or TE's.

Our linebackers suck in coverage even when they're healthy. We need someone like Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack in the middle to make up for Bowman and the rest of our linebackers being liabilities in coverage. Unfortunately, we can't draft one of them and Goff or even come close to addressing all our needs this offseason. We could also use a SS who can cover (Tartt can't and I don't know how Bethea will look coming back from injury) and we don't have great corners.

Wilkerson would help out against the run and pass, but he's not going to be an unrestricted free agent and we'd have to give up draft picks to get him. He's easily worth the franchise tag, so the Jets won't let him go for nothing.

There is no realistic scenario where we make the playoffs next year. The Seahawks and Cardinals will be way better than us regardless of the moves we make in free agency or the draft unless they have an offseason like we just had. Holmgren may be a decent head coach, but I don't think he'll be as good as Harbaugh and this roster won't be as talented as the roster Harbaugh had anytime soon.
[ Edited by eastcoast49ersfan on Dec 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM ]
I'm not sold on Justin Goff.

Holmgren isn't coming back to the NFL. He'll be 68 next year.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
I'm not sold on Justin Goff.

Holmgren isn't coming back to the NFL. He'll be 68 next year.

Hey you never know Mark Holmgren could come back and be the HC
~ Yorks sell team.
~ Owner who cares buys them and spends the money to win.

Team fixed.
I'm actually going to support the original poster. I don't think we are far away from being a competitive team. However, unlike most teams that have to completely rebuild the team form scratch, our biggest issue isn't the players. Our biggest issue is the ownership, front office, and the coaching staff. No draft or free agency can fix that. With that being said, if certain changes are made, the 49ers can be competitive again. I won't say a Super Bowl contender or even contending for a division title yet, but they can give teams a run for their money with a solid draft and adding the right players in free agency.

We need to get another football mind, a senior football mind, or one on the rise that Trent Baalke reports to in the building. That is imperative. Trent does some great things as a general manager. He also does some things that totally befuddle you. He isn't Joe Thomas bad, but he's put us in a state where we are either talent poor or was in support of a coaching staff that cannot use the talent provided, oSr maybe a combination of both. It all depends on your perspective. But at least one of those are true. As it stands with our coaching staff, we do not have the intellectual capacity to match the staff's that are in Seattle and Arizona. I don't think we had it in Jim Harbaugh either (as an offensive mind) and we certainly didn't do anything to match that by going from Harbaugh to Jim Tomsula. Trent Baalke has to see this, because I don't see Arizona or Seattle slowing down anytime soon. So unless he is prepared to spend the next ten years fighting for the 6th seed in the playoffs as best, we need raise the credentials of our staff. We need a creative mind that can play chess with Bruce Arians and Pete Carroll.

If I had to make three more realistic changes, it would be replacing our special teams coach and offensive coordinator. If I am being optimistic, replace the whole damn thing and start over. We will see what happens in the final press conference when Jed York speaks to the media. Hopefully he has his Eddie D, 1978 moment when he realizes he is clueless and needs to find his Bill Walsh. He had a heat coach in Jim Harbaugh, but that was not his Bill Walsh. Maybe more of a Monte Clark. He is before my time, but from what I've gathered, he was a good coach who was dismissed prematurely.

Step 2 is pretty realistic. I think I'd rather let Alex Boone walk, but we would at least get continuity. I look at Boone as having two players in one on the roster because of the ability to play multiple positions. We essentially have a guy that can start at LT, RT, LG, and RG. He isn't pro bowl level, but solid.

Step 3: Although Alex Mack's desire to play for a winner may take us out of the running, I think we should make an attempt to snag him anyway. Sell him on the future of the 49ers lol. With Kilgore's injuries, I'd rather have Mack at center. That would leave Kilgore, Thomas, and Tiller to battle for the final guard spot. If this happens, we would have some dependable depth in interior of our line. Trenton Brown, a rookie OT, and possibly the returning Anthony Davis would compete for the starting tackle spot, though I will admit, I am also curious about taking a look at Davis at guard.

If we come up short in the Muhammed Wilkerson sweepstakes, Derek Wolfe or Malik Jackson are not bad. Clearly not the same players, but still really good 3-4 defensive ends.

Step Four: Trent Baalke needs to essentially hit big in this draft. I am expecting 3 immediate starters or regular contributors from this draft next season. If we draft a QB, that makes the picks in rounds 2-7 all the more important. Considering the number of picks we have and the holes on our team, this isn't an unrealistic expectation. We need a running back that can split carries with Carlos Hyde. We could look at a receiver to play outside. We definitely need a pass rushing OLB. We need another ILB. We need someone to return kicks and punts, if we decide to not address this in free agency. The necessary players will be there for the taking. We just need our GM to pull the trigger.

But even if Steps 2 -5 happen as spelled out by the OP, I only think that will make us a more competitive team. A team that probably will not be blown out so often, but it is not guarantee of playoffs until we have coaches that can match the staffs in Arizona and Seattle. The sad thing is I KNOW we had it on the defensive side of the ball with Fangio, Donatell, Leavitt, and Tomsula. The offensive, not so much. It will be really interesting to see what kind of staff Adam Gase puts together if he gets offered a job somewhere else this year.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'm actually going to support the original poster. I don't think we are far away from being a competitive team. However, unlike most teams that have to completely rebuild the team form scratch, our biggest issue isn't the players. Our biggest issue is the ownership, front office, and the coaching staff. No draft or free agency can fix that. With that being said, if certain changes are made, the 49ers can be competitive again. I won't say a Super Bowl contender or even contending for a division title yet, but they can give teams a run for their money with a solid draft and adding the right players in free agency.

We need to get another football mind, a senior football mind, or one on the rise that Trent Baalke reports to in the building. That is imperative. Trent does some great things as a general manager. He also does some things that totally befuddle you. He isn't Joe Thomas bad, but he's put us in a state where we are either talent poor or was in support of a coaching staff that cannot use the talent provided, oSr maybe a combination of both. It all depends on your perspective. But at least one of those are true. As it stands with our coaching staff, we do not have the intellectual capacity to match the staff's that are in Seattle and Arizona. I don't think we had it in Jim Harbaugh either (as an offensive mind) and we certainly didn't do anything to match that by going from Harbaugh to Jim Tomsula. Trent Baalke has to see this, because I don't see Arizona or Seattle slowing down anytime soon. So unless he is prepared to spend the next ten years fighting for the 6th seed in the playoffs as best, we need raise the credentials of our staff. We need a creative mind that can play chess with Bruce Arians and Pete Carroll.

If I had to make three more realistic changes, it would be replacing our special teams coach and offensive coordinator. If I am being optimistic, replace the whole damn thing and start over. We will see what happens in the final press conference when Jed York speaks to the media. Hopefully he has his Eddie D, 1978 moment when he realizes he is clueless and needs to find his Bill Walsh. He had a heat coach in Jim Harbaugh, but that was not his Bill Walsh. Maybe more of a Monte Clark. He is before my time, but from what I've gathered, he was a good coach who was dismissed prematurely.

Step 2 is pretty realistic. I think I'd rather let Alex Boone walk, but we would at least get continuity. I look at Boone as having two players in one on the roster because of the ability to play multiple positions. We essentially have a guy that can start at LT, RT, LG, and RG. He isn't pro bowl level, but solid.

Step 3: Although Alex Mack's desire to play for a winner may take us out of the running, I think we should make an attempt to snag him anyway. Sell him on the future of the 49ers lol. With Kilgore's injuries, I'd rather have Mack at center. That would leave Kilgore, Thomas, and Tiller to battle for the final guard spot. If this happens, we would have some dependable depth in interior of our line. Trenton Brown, a rookie OT, and possibly the returning Anthony Davis would compete for the starting tackle spot, though I will admit, I am also curious about taking a look at Davis at guard.

If we come up short in the Muhammed Wilkerson sweepstakes, Derek Wolfe or Malik Jackson are not bad. Clearly not the same players, but still really good 3-4 defensive ends.

Step Four: Trent Baalke needs to essentially hit big in this draft. I am expecting 3 immediate starters or regular contributors from this draft next season. If we draft a QB, that makes the picks in rounds 2-7 all the more important. Considering the number of picks we have and the holes on our team, this isn't an unrealistic expectation. We need a running back that can split carries with Carlos Hyde. We could look at a receiver to play outside. We definitely need a pass rushing OLB. We need another ILB. We need someone to return kicks and punts, if we decide to not address this in free agency. The necessary players will be there for the taking. We just need our GM to pull the trigger.

But even if Steps 2 -5 happen as spelled out by the OP, I only think that will make us a more competitive team. A team that probably will not be blown out so often, but it is not guarantee of playoffs until we have coaches that can match the staffs in Arizona and Seattle. The sad thing is I KNOW we had it on the defensive side of the ball with Fangio, Donatell, Leavitt, and Tomsula. The offensive, not so much. It will be really interesting to see what kind of staff Adam Gase puts together if he gets offered a job somewhere else this year.

Good points and good post. If only it were as easy to change the owner.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
While I don't agree with many of the "fixes", I do agree that this team can certainly be competitive (8-8) next year and be in the playoff hunt in 2017.

I don't think any one draft pick or FA "fixes" anything.

However, I believe the core of our defense is something we can build around right now. Bowman, Armstead, Williams (should he re-sign), Lynch, Tartt, Reid (yes, I said it) and our young CBs. That's something to get excited about.

You add a pass rushing OLB and either a Wilkerson or one of the highly touted CBs in this draft (Ramsey, Hargreaves) -- we're in business.

I think the offense will look A LOT better with two new starters. We get Davis back next year, either at RT or RG. You find a replacement for Boone and either a RG or RT to take over for whatever spot Davis isn't in -- and we'll be competitive.

This is a two year turnaround.
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:
I may be in the minority but I do not think our current 49ers are as far off the rails as most. See my points.

- The pass defense will be fixed with a better pass rush and healthy linebackers.

Step Two - Resign Ian Williams (NT), Anquan Boldin (WR), Garrett Celek (TE), Alex Boone (OG).
Step Three - Sign free agents Kelechi Osemele (Guard) and Muhammad Wilkerson (3-4 DE).
Step Four - Draft Justin Goff (Quarterback) and Ethan Pocic or Max Tuerk (Center) and Le'Raven Clark (OT) in case Trent Brown doesn't work out.
Step Five - Through either draft / free agency / trade we should supplement the team with best available RB and 3-4 OLB.

Playoffs baby!

I agree that you're never too far off in the NFL, though I think there'll still be at least another season of growing pains.

I like that your plan beefs up the OL and DL.
Though, on paper, they'll still be lacking:
  • Offense - Goff is young, OL is young, coaching staff is brand new, everyone needs time to gel
  • LBs - still need more pass rushing depth and need rangier LBs in coverage
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by ArmchairQB:

Playoffs baby!

I agree that you're never too far off in the NFL, though I think there'll still be at least another season of growing pains.

I like that your plan beefs up the OL and DL.
Though, on paper, they'll still be lacking:
  • Offense - Goff is young, OL is young, coaching staff is brand new, everyone needs time to gel
  • LBs - still need more pass rushing depth and need rangier LBs in coverage
1) Jaylon Smith, though it means we miss out on Goff. That idea is scary to me because I know we can field a good team with Gabbert, but would it be enough to really compete, or do we only have a team that will make the playoffs 3 out of 6 years and never really do anything? I think it's the latter.

As for pass rushing threats, there are some free agency answers, as well as our own developing Eli Harold and Tank Carradine, who I think both can be good rotational players. As for a starter, maybe Bruce Irvin? I might have to go to AB81, because I'm wondering how much it would take to land either Wilkerson and a lower tier pass rusher or Derek Wolfe/Bruce Irvin + Alex Mack.

Step 1: Hire a competent staff (OC and (DC).
Stopped reading when you said hire holmgren
Justin Goff>>>>>Jared Goff
Take a time machine back to 2005 and draft Aaron Rodgers..then jump to 2012 and draft Alshon Jeffrey...problem solved.
Share 49ersWebzone