LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 266 users in the forums

Reality check: QB's in round 1 & 2

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by Escobar:
I support the original post of this thread...

f**k drafting a QB early

A lot of it is because the demand for QB is so high that they are drafted higher than their talent level.

Jake Locker is a perfect example of this. He was an average college QB and ended up going in the first. His talent level at any other position and he would have been like a 4th-6th round pick, a guy that was average at college but athletically had potential.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
A lot of it is because the demand for QB is so high that they are drafted higher than their talent level.

Jake Locker is a perfect example of this. He was an average college QB and ended up going in the first. His talent level at any other position and he would have been like a 4th-6th round pick, a guy that was average at college but athletically had potential.

There are so few good QB's that there will always be a high demand for the most talented ones or the ones that appear to have the highest potential, ala Locker or this year, a guy like Hackenberg.
IMO, this argument is not limited to only WR's. teams are drafting high for a reason, alot of times its because they suck and they fail their players... esp rookies.
Also, to call out the risk of drafting QBs in the 1st and 2nd is kind of pointless unless you compare it to other position groups.

Winston and Mariota played well in their rookie year.

Bortles as has looked good and so does Carr. Manziel could be legit if he ever matured.

EJ Manuel, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy re-emeges as a solid starter in his late 20's.

RG3 failed due to injuries, not neccesarily because he lacked talent or anything

Luck despite his bad year is legit.

Tanehill and Weeden, were "Locker" type picks.

Osweiler has looked good on Denver.

Cam Newton is probably the MVP. Locker/Gabbert/Ponder I never liked. Dalton is legit and despite Kap's fall from grace here, he gave us some pretty good years and will probably re-emerge as a starter for another team.

So yeah, don't really get the whole anti-draft QBs in 1st. Its a draft, its always risky. And lots of QBs have worked out or are working out. Its just a tough position that usually requires a lot of expierence (see Fitzpatrick, Palmer. Brady and Brees are older. My favorite QB from RG3's draft year was actually Kirk Cousins and now he is playing well that he has his chance. Alex Smith at 31 is having his best year.

I think part of the problem is the expectations that a 23 year old QB can come in and be like Brady from Day 1.

I think part of the problem is the expectations that a 23 year old QB can come in and be like Brady from Day 1.

This.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Alot of you "fans" are rooting for us to lose so we can have better draft position. Most of you hope that position will land us a franchise QB. This is a reminder that drafting a franchise QB is a crap shoot.

Just take a look at the past few 1st-2nd round drafts. It's pretty grim. ('14/'15 is too early to tell)

2013:
1st- EJ Manuel
2nd- Geno Smith

2012:
1st- Andrew Luck
1st- RG3
1st- Ryan Tannehill
1st- Brandon Weeden
2nd- Brock Osweiler

2011:
1st- Cam Newton
1st- Jake Locker
1st- Gabbert
1st- Ponder
2nd- Dalton
2nd- Kap

2010:
1st- Sam Bradford
1st- Tim Tebow
2nd- Jimmy Clausen

2009:
1st- Stafford
1st- Mark Sanchez
1st- Josh Freeman
2nd- Pat White

2008:
1st- Matt Ryan
1st- Flacco
2nd- Brian Brohm
2nd- Chad Henne

2007:
1st- JaMarcus
1st- Brady Quinn
2nd- Kevin Kolb
2nd- John Beck
2nd- Drew Stanton

2006:
1st- Vince Young
1st- Matt Leinart
1st- Cutler
2nd- Kellen Clemens
2nd- Tavaris Jackson

LOL at you putting fans in quotation marks. We could say the same thing to you....someone who clearly is advocating taking a QB late (or someone who doesn't value the QB position).

I wholeheartedly disagree with this quoted original post. If we want any chance of a franchise QB, we need to draft him in round 1 or maaaybe 2. The idea that we should draft one late and pray he develops into a good QB is no different than buying a powerball ticket and hoping to become a millionaire.

f**k drafting a QB early

Well then you are supporting the idea that the QB is not an important position.

f**k drafting a QB early

Mike Singletary approves.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Dec 29, 2015 at 3:30 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
LOL this board. Posit a contrarian opinion and people will try to associate you with the "dark ages", "not being a real fan" or "not caring about the QB position".

I mean -- it IS okay to be a die hard fan with an opposing view... right?

Folks want to bring in a young QB, that has decent at best WR, a bad OL, and an inconsistent run game..... Sounds like David Carr all over again.
Figure I'd mention it in this thread.

If we don't grab a QB early in the draft(or even if we do) one guy I'd like to see us gamble on is Jeff Driskel just to see if he can channel his talent and if the change of scenery brought his game to another level.
Originally posted by DeHubb:
Folks want to bring in a young QB, that has decent at best WR, a bad OL, and an inconsistent run game..... Sounds like David Carr all over again.

what?
Also, to call out the risk of drafting QBs in the 1st and 2nd is kind of pointless unless you compare it to other position groups.

Winston and Mariota played well in their rookie year.

Bortles as has looked good and so does Carr. Manziel could be legit if he ever matured.

EJ Manuel, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy re-emeges as a solid starter in his late 20's.

RG3 failed due to injuries, not neccesarily because he lacked talent or anything

Luck despite his bad year is legit.

Tanehill and Weeden, were "Locker" type picks.

Osweiler has looked good on Denver.

Cam Newton is probably the MVP. Locker/Gabbert/Ponder I never liked. Dalton is legit and despite Kap's fall from grace here, he gave us some pretty good years and will probably re-emerge as a starter for another team.

So yeah, don't really get the whole anti-draft QBs in 1st. Its a draft, its always risky. And lots of QBs have worked out or are working out. Its just a tough position that usually requires a lot of expierence (see Fitzpatrick, Palmer. Brady and Brees are older. My favorite QB from RG3's draft year was actually Kirk Cousins and now he is playing well that he has his chance. Alex Smith at 31 is having his best year.

Vince Young was Offensive Rookie Of The Year and went to the Pro Bowl his first season. Mark Sanchez took the Jets to the playoffs and won four games his first two years in the league. RGIII put up Pro Bowl numbers his rookie season. Saying that the QBs in their first or second season look like winners is premature. Brian Weeden and Nick Foles looked good early on in their career. Josh Freeman had an amazing season as a soph. Sam Bradford was on his way to stardom, etc. etc. Also Tebow his half season as a starter in Denver looked like the next big thing.
[ Edited by GreatGabbert on Dec 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

This.

You are talking about maybe 20% of the fan base. The rest don't expect that.
Share 49ersWebzone