LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 504 users in the forums

Is the WZ Wide Receiver obsessed for the NFL Draft?

Is the WZ Wide Receiver obsessed for the NFL Draft?

WR is a position of need for future AND a glamour position that attracts everyone's attention. plus a lot of people for some reason view impact receivers as some kind of saviors who will magically and single-handedly make the offense into a prolific passing offense... so it makes sense WZ is excited

theres nothing wrong with getting a WR in first couple of rounds. going 2WR though, like many want, is an absolute overkill. 49ers are still a run-first team and there is zero point spending another high pick on them. there are/will be other holes, in fact bigger than in some of previous years.
let's not be the falcons who traded whole draft for julio.
At 15 we can get a more important position. We need an impact player at DE badly. With Justin old/retireing, McDonald gone, Tank unknown, and the others are good in their roles, but I don't see anyone on the team that can dominate consistantly. Maybe Dial.

That is more important then a WR, imo.
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
WR is a position of need for future AND a glamour position that attracts everyone's attention. plus a lot of people for some reason view impact receivers as some kind of saviors who will magically and single-handedly make the offense into a prolific passing offense... so it makes sense WZ is excited

theres nothing wrong with getting a WR in first couple of rounds. going 2WR though, like many want, is an absolute overkill. 49ers are still a run-first team and there is zero point spending another high pick on them. there are/will be other holes, in fact bigger than in some of previous years.
let's not be the falcons who traded whole draft for julio.

I agree.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
At 15 we can get a more important position. We need an impact player at DE badly. With Justin old/retireing, McDonald gone, Tank unknown, and the others are good in their roles, but I don't see anyone on the team that can dominate consistantly. Maybe Dial.

I agree with what you are saying here also.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

I agree with what you are saying here also.

I agree, also.
I think we should draft one in the 2nd/3rd/4th and only one. Maybe get another one late if there is value or look at some UDFA's. I think there is enough talent at WR in this draft that we can find a guy who is a legit vertical threat in one of those rounds. Patton and/or Ellington might be closer to be being the guy than we think too. Patton has some deceptive speed. But he hasn't done it so far so we can't ignore the position completely.

I think we should use the first rounder on the DL, OL or at CB depending on the value. There's a chance the value is there at WR and WR only. Perhaps we should pull the trigger then, but only in a pretty select situation.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Feb 24, 2015 at 2:36 AM ]
Better question is whether SanDiego49er is a negative nancy?
We need a better designed passing attack more than we need a better receivers. No one could possible excel in the passing system we have, and Keapernick needs to improve his preens reads, as well as his vision of the field. Last season we could have had Megatron, and Dez Bryant, and would have made little difference.
I see bigger need at corner, and d-line. I also, depending on Hunters health this we need a speedy back. Yes we do need a deep threat, but we also need an offensive system and a coaching staff that develops that threat, and utilizes it.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I also agree that DL is a greater need than WR. With Johnson and Boldin we have good starters, plus we have a few WR in the wings that need the opportunity to show what they can do. Draft another mid-round WR to add some more competition, but I think the last thing we want to do is draft another WR #1, and keep Patton/Ellington on the bench.
I believe the WZ is WR obsessed, it happens every year. Then there is let down that we went with a more important position that suits the needs of our team. We are a team that does not rely very much on receivers and nose tackles. Yet people are clamoring for those things this year as they have in the past. I think the most glaring holes are replacing Ray Mac, Iupati, Crabs, and Cox/Cully. Do Carradine and Dial have what it takes? Do Thomas and Looney have what it takes? Do Boldin and Stevie have what it takes? Do Brock and DJ have what it takes? I think Baalke will look at those and determine what looks scariest without being helped in the draft and draft based on that. I believe that the craze with WR is a result of the feeling that the draft is aligned for us to pick one based on the following:
1. The hope that Baalke will prioritize re-signing one of the DB's due to the meh corner class.
2. Baalke will work on finding a FA or use a later pick on DL due to Leonard Williams being the only true 5-tech in the 1st round.
3 RB class is full of talent into the 3rd round and RB's usually lack the longevity and playing time to be of value as a first round pick.
4. Starting OG's are able to be found into the 2nd and 3rd round and the bust rate isn't as high as later round receivers would be.
5. We already have starters at Linebacker, Tackle, Quarterback, and Safety so there is not a major need to use a 1st round pick on these positions.

Is it almost Spring? Then yes.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

The way this team is built it's best to be strong in the trenches on both sides and have a good running game. We won't win throwing 40 - 50 times a game anyway. That is not who we are. We are not built like that. We pretty consistently lose when we try to do that. Run, play defense and throw about 20 - 25 times a game is how this team is built.

The team could use some WR speed outside, sure.. but the main reason to draft a WR early this time around is for THE FUTURE.

We know Boldin and SJ won't be around much longer. So unless you are convinced that Ellington and Patton are quality starters? SF should draft a WR early that can develop and boost their chances of rolling into 2016 with a quality bunch.

Drafting a rd 1-2 wideout doesn't eliminate our success of running the ball, playing defense, etc.

All we really need on offense aside from WR is a good QB2... improved depth at OT on day 2/3.. and maybe a RB on day 3.
That still allows us to burn early picks on WR, DE, and CB.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Because we STILL need one?

This! Baalke has drafted 1 WR in the 1st 3 rounds since becoming the GM. He has gone the old vet route instead of developing his project wide receivers.

List of old WR vets:

Edwards
Ginn
Moss
Boldin
SJ
Lloyd

I think it's time to actually put some stock in WR for the draft. No more projects, Baalke, in my opinion, messed up on waiting until the 4th to grab a WR (again) in last years epic draft class. I think they MUST go WR with one of their 1st two picks!

We saw when we had some speed and created miss matches in 2012 (11th ranked offense) SF actually scored some points. None of the current WRs provide any real threat and most teams basically took away our passing game....at least Moss demanded safety help.
vertical threat to open up running game more and keep the defense fresh.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

We know Boldin and SJ won't be around much longer. So unless you are convinced that Ellington and Patton are quality starters? SF should draft a WR early that can

We do?

Stevie Johnson is the same guy a lot of people were crushing over and hoping that the 49ers signed in free agency just a few short years ago. He's a guy who's had 3 1,000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL which makes him a lot more of a sure thing than any single receiver that you could pick in the draft. At worst he's a solid #2 WR and the guy is still only 28 years old.

I think you need to give Ellington and Patton enough snaps for them to show that they can or cannot hack it. If you just keep drafting guys and simply not letting them play, its just a continuous waste of picks. As I've mentioned before, that seems to be one of the major differences that Seattle has versus what the prior coaching staff had. Seattle throws undrafted guys out there on offense, lets them either swim or drown. I think this year, both Ellington and Patton deserve that opportunity to show that they can get it done. If they can't, then you go another route next year.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 24, 2015 at 7:54 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone