LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 340 users in the forums

Kicker Roberto Aguayo

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Missed fg and extra point today.
This is a case of a player drafted far before even he believed he deserved to be (AJ Jenkins) and the pressure of that reality is completely unexpected or prepared for. The very fact that they drafted him in the 2nd started the mental block, and now it's a beast that is just feeding itself. Poor kid, he should have been a 5th rounder at best.
Originally posted by WINiner:
This is a case of a player drafted far before even he believed he deserved to be (AJ Jenkins) and the pressure of that reality is completely unexpected or prepared for. The very fact that they drafted him in the 2nd started the mental block, and now it's a beast that is just feeding itself. Poor kid, he should have been a 5th rounder at best.

Kicker is the only position where more of the top players in the NFL go undrafted than drafted. There is never a good reason to draft a kicker that early. Still puzzled at the move by Tampa. Aguayo may turn out to be a pretty good kicker in the long run but I doubt he'll be that much better to justify his draft position compared to other top kickers.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 25, 2016 at 7:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Kicker is the only position where more of the top players in the NFL go undrafted than drafted. There is never a good reason to draft a kicker that early.

Here's the problem with that rationale: an undrafted kicker is far more likely to suck than even be good enough to play in the NFL. A kicker who gets drafted has a much higher rate of success than one who doesn't. Just like any other position.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Here's the problem with that rationale: an undrafted kicker is far more likely to suck than even be good enough to play in the NFL. A kicker who gets drafted has a much higher rate of success than one who doesn't. Just like any other position.

Clearly there are plenty of quality undrafted kickers considering how many top kickers went undrafted.

Its a matter of evaluating the player like anything else.

Its just hard to argue that there is much value in taking a kicker early when teams have consistently been finding All Pro level kickers late in the draft or undrafted.
Every 2 days I was reading Mocks with people wanting us to spend a 3rd or 4th round pick on this guy. From Day One i said no way. I'd rather have Acosta. And 3 games in, u still feel this way.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Clearly there are plenty of quality undrafted kickers considering how many top kickers went undrafted.

Its a matter of evaluating the player like anything else.

Its just hard to argue that there is much value in taking a kicker early when teams have consistently been finding All Pro level kickers late in the draft or undrafted.

Agree - punters too.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Agree - punters too.

With punters at least, most of the top punters are guys that were drafted. I think in terms of being an NFL kicker, it is less about skill and more about the mental aspect. There's about a dozen guys each year coming out of college with the skill to kick at an NFL level but they don't all necessarily have the right mindset for it.

We often see previously successful kickers suddenly fall off because they just lose it mentally and they start shanking kicks left and right when you know they have the physical ability to make them, David Akers is an example.

That's not true. The fact that there are a lot of good kickers who went undrafted doesn't mean there are plenty of them. Some of those good, undrafted kickers could have gone undrafted 15 or even 20 years ago or any time from then to 2016. Good kickers are not easy to find. And if they were, the Niners would have at least 2 more Super Bowl trophies (friggn' Mike Cofer & David Akers )
Rick Stroud‏ @NFLSTROUD
Bucs PK Robert Aguayo missed all 3 FG attempts on the narrow goal posts.

GOAT kicker gonna GOAT.

Rick Stroud‏ @NFLSTROUD
Bucs PK Robert Aguayo missed all 3 FG attempts on the narrow goal posts.

GOAT kicker gonna GOAT.

idiots for choosing him in the 2nd.

I think being a kicker drafted that high puts alot of pressure on a young kicker. Kickers' game is 99.9% mental.

Sure, Janikowski did great but you have be really tough mentally
[ Edited by JustinNiner on May 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He's getting cut soon....

Originally posted by Jcool:
He's getting cut soon....

2nd round lol
Sucks cuz he was 1 hell of a kicker at FSU
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
idiots for choosing him in the 2nd.

I think being a kicker drafted that high puts alot of pressure on a young kicker. Kickers' game is 99.9% mental.

Sure, Janikowski did great but you have be really tough mentally

Even Janikowski hasn't been that great when you look at his career accuracy. He's 40th overall in career FG accuracy. He was a 1st round pick, Phil Dawson, Adam Vinatieri, Shayne Graham, Robbie Gould, Matt Bryant, Dan Bailey all went undrafted. I'd take the latter kickers over him any day.
Share 49ersWebzone