LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 256 users in the forums

RB Ameer Abdullah- Nebraska

Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Little known fact about Ameer is that he used to be a hand model;

Explains the ball handling issues.

Excellent!
bump.

starting to think more and more that he'll end up being a Niner, probably in the 2nd round.

workhorse back. excellent work ethic. great vision. classy individual on and off the field.

sounds like a Baalke pick if i ever saw one.
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
bump.

starting to think more and more that he'll end up being a Niner, probably in the 2nd round.

workhorse back. excellent work ethic. great vision. classy individual on and off the field.

Fumbles like whoa and can't pass block....Baalke doesn't like that for a 2nd rounder.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
bump.

Fumbles like whoa and can't pass block....Baalke doesn't like that for a 2nd rounder.

i get the fumbling issues, which i feel can be fixed (remember Tiki Barber?). as far as pass block, he's no Frank Gore, but he's also not completely terrible at it.
bump.

i get the fumbling issues, which i feel can be fixed (remember Tiki Barber?). as far as pass block, he's no Frank Gore, but he's also not completely terrible at it.

He actually wasn't that good....

Nebraska senior RB Ameer Abdullah's "will be in the top-75 mix and possibly the top senior running back drafted due to his natural burst, balance and playmaking skills," wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

"However, his deficiencies in pass protection stand out on tape and were exposed again during Tuesday's practice," Brugler wrote. "He is willing and tough, but his 198-pound frame simply lacks the base strength or upper body power to control or stop rushers in their tracks. Abdullah is a versatile talent who is fun to watch run the rock, but it's clear his best role in the NFL is probably as a change of pace option where he won't be tasked with protecting the pocket." Brugler's colleague Rob Rang wrote Thursday that Abdullah "is the most exciting runner participating in the Senior Bowl." The 5-foot-8, 198-pound Abdullah has worked his way through a muddled RB class to find solid Day 2 footing. For now, anyway. (rotoworld)

He a great COP RB, but not a solid all around RB with fumble issues....he is fun too watch for sure! I just don't see him as a 3-down back and not worth a 2nd rd pick...I'd rather have Jay Ajayi in the 2nd or 3rd. He can do it all and teams wouldn't know if you were passing or running with him.
bump.

He actually wasn't that good....

Nebraska senior RB Ameer Abdullah's "will be in the top-75 mix and possibly the top senior running back drafted due to his natural burst, balance and playmaking skills," wrote CBS Sports' Dane Brugler.

"However, his deficiencies in pass protection stand out on tape and were exposed again during Tuesday's practice," Brugler wrote. "He is willing and tough, but his 198-pound frame simply lacks the base strength or upper body power to control or stop rushers in their tracks. Abdullah is a versatile talent who is fun to watch run the rock, but it's clear his best role in the NFL is probably as a change of pace option where he won't be tasked with protecting the pocket." Brugler's colleague Rob Rang wrote Thursday that Abdullah "is the most exciting runner participating in the Senior Bowl." The 5-foot-8, 198-pound Abdullah has worked his way through a muddled RB class to find solid Day 2 footing. For now, anyway. (rotoworld)

He a great COP RB, but not a solid all around RB with fumble issues....he is fun too watch for sure! I just don't see him as a 3-down back and not worth a 2nd rd pick...I'd rather have Jay Ajayi in the 2nd or 3rd. He can do it all and teams wouldn't know if you were passing or running with him.

I honestly feel that pass blocking is something that he'll learn, especially from Tom Rathman. Bruce Miller learned it well, and so did Kendall Hunter. And I'm not just being an Abdullah fanboy (I'm more of a fan of Duke Johnson), but just from his work ethic alone and his tenacity, I can see him working extremely hard on his deficiencies.

Not necessarily. His hands are part of the issue. He's not just fumble-prone, he shows REALLY bad ball security, 17 lost fumbles is a lot. He's got really small hands and that probably plays a big role in regards to that and I don't know how you coach that tendency out if its largely the result of a physical "defect."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/02/16/nfl-draft-rb-rankings/23513321/

"The knock on Abdullah, and it's significant, are fumbles. I think he had 24 career fumbles, and he lost 17 of them, which is the worst I've seen in awhile, and that's compiled with small hands. And that's what bothers the scouts is not only the fumbles but the fact that he's got small hands, which probably accounts for the fumbles."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 17, 2015 at 12:48 PM ]
According to CBS Sports, Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah's fumble rate of once every 35.4 offensive touches is worst amongst running backs in this year's class.

"It should be noted that his fumbling totals decreased every year, but a concern nonetheless," added Dane Brugler. This comes as no surprise to draftniks. Abdullah is a stellar running back prospect, but he has two major weaknesses: His pass protection is shoddy due to his lithe frame, and he has major ball security issues. As a pure runner, though, Abdullah has few equals.

Rotoworld
Share 49ersWebzone