LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 253 users in the forums

DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GorefullBore:

Good thing Georgia Tech runs the system they do, now we have film of every route he runs.

I think he has the traits to run a full route tree in the NFL.

- fluid athlete
- clean release
- controlled footwork
- sinks his hips
- quick and explosive out breaks
- can seperate from man coverage
- has feel vs zone coverage
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 12, 2015 at 8:32 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Draft and stash this kid with the comp pick or 4th round pick.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Poster comments. Reminds me of Crabtree. He's like Boldin. Cripes! We already have those guys. Youth? Niners have Q. Patton. Production and elite speed, please.

Have you ever seen Him play? He`s a Playmaker with size and speed ,very good speed.....you really need to look at His films not just high-lights He is someone I hope Trent drafts and stash,He`s a keeper.

Being a ga tech fan I've seen a lot of him the last two years. He doesn't have alot of football experience so you worry about his immediate football IQ and he hasn't been exposed to a full route tree. He mostly ran screens and deep fly's. Every so often a hitch route. Then of course he had an acl tear late in the year. Those are his knocks.

With that said he is terrific with the ball in his hands after the catch. High character guy. Good size. He knows how to position his frame to go up for contested throws. He has a lot of upside and is a good blocker. I'd love to have him here. He could grow into a special player with good coaching but would be a nice project player for us with a high ceiling.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Feb 22, 2015 at 1:54 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I think this will be the WR we take sometime after the 4th round since his is what we need as far as a bigger guy and we can stash him on IR for the year and play him next year when Boldin is a FA.
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
College Football Focus (PFF)

His 4.36 Yards Per Route Run lead all of the receivers available in this class.

If you're willing to take a chance that you won't get much out of Smelter in Year 1 as he recovers from injury, I think a team is going to be really happy a few years down the line.

He's a big physical receiver who can dominate defensive backs.

His injury might prevent him from being much of a factor in his rookie season, but that should only push him further down the draft and give some team the potential at a real bargain in a late round.

Wouldn't mind picking him up in mid rounds & stashing him for next year
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Draft and stash this kid with the comp pick or 4th round pick.

Nice
Baalke keeps the streak alive

1st Redshirt player.

The question is, will Ifo Ekpre Olomu last until the 5th/6th round?

He must have torn multiple menisci or something.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by LZRD_WZRD:
Originally posted by Murphys1:
48 receptions for almost 1000 yards and 10 touchdowns in less than 2 years...great athlete with size. Looks like we should check him out

Stephen Hill 2.0?

No I don`t think so from what I have seen on film,this guy has some wiggle to him He is not as fast as S.Hill but he looks to be a real player maker with what looks like maybe 4.4 speed, most assuredly faster then Crabtree, reminds me of Stevie Johnson with more speed I think put in the right system he could be the next Pierre Garcon (not sure how to spell last name) but you guys know who.

You happy now jrouter? I wanted Waller & you wanted Smelter so u got your man.

I remeber all the stat list of yards per route and per catch also against top competition he was #1 in alot and always top 5. Couldn't figure out why he wasn't a high pick but now i know injury.
Like this pick a lot more than Ellington/Patton.
Love this pick! Under the radar player with all the tools to become a fantastic WR, and Anquan is the perfect guy to help him get there! Love it , Love it! Ellington is cool but i like this pick more than our last 3 wideout picks
guys got HUGE hands too per ESPN, that's what makes a difference, and toughness...just can't teach that
And Smelter moves to NT!
Share 49ersWebzone