LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 299 users in the forums

TRADE UP? The Raiders are open for business at #5, but do the 49ers pull the trigger?

TRADE UP? The Raiders are open for business at #5, but do the 49ers pull the trigger?

Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
According to the draft value chart it would take our #30, #56, #61, #77 and #94 picks this year plus our 2015 2nd rd pick next year to make this move.
That's a 1st, three 2nd rd picks and two 3rd rd picks to get to #5. Maybe Baalke could cut a deal and save us next year's 2nd rounder but I still don't think it would be worth it.

I could see packaging a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up but anything beyond that in a draft this deep with soo much talent in rounds 2 and 3 would be a waste. If Evans drops to 10 or later we might have a shot at him.

That value chart is outdated and really meaningless now. Every year is different and with the depth of this draft those picks mean a lot more than normal.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
No way. There's too much potential with the picks we'd have to give up. Baalke would basically have to give up half of our picks or more just to snag a single player.
According to the draft value chart it would take our #30, #56, #61, #77 and #94 picks this year plus our 2015 2nd rd pick next year to make this move.
That's a 1st, three 2nd rd picks and two 3rd rd picks to get to #5. Maybe Baalke could cut a deal and save us next year's 2nd rounder but I still don't think it would be worth it.

I could see packaging a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder to move up but anything beyond that in a draft this deep with soo much talent in rounds 2 and 3 would be a waste. If Evans drops to 10 or later we might have a shot at him.

That is a ton to mortgage, plus the fact it would immediately put pressure on that player to perform....

Probably not the best case scenario, but damn it would be exciting.
Dude, look at if from an economical standpoint

The opportunity cost of us trading up that high is too high for the benefit we could obtain at staying at pick 30
no thanks
Every year the same ... Lets trade up for a key player (Offensive Player who catches/carries ball). No need for QB or RB so this year "sexy" pick is moving up to pick a WR. You see this same them throughout the site. Really after picking AJ just two years ago. You think we will package multi-picks and risk another failed round 1 WR?????? I think a failed prospect later would mute some of the criticism (SF FO can't judge WRs)

Two failed round 1 WRs in 3 years (plus we packaged a bunch of picks) Baalke would need to find a new line of work.
[ Edited by OldJoe on May 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM ]
^^^^^ I don't think these guys make fear-based decisions. If they have a chance to take an impact receiver in the first, that's all that's going to matter. AJ Jenkins is old news.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
throw in LMJ to keep a third
Originally posted by boast:
throw in LMJ to keep a 7th

Fixed
Originally posted by boast:
throw in LMJ to keep a third

Turn off Madden. Its rotting your brain...
Originally posted by CWin4949:

That is a ton to mortgage, plus the fact it would immediately put pressure on that player to perform....

Probably not the best case scenario, but damn it would be exciting.

It would be huge pressure. Even if the player was pretty good it would be seen as a bad move. He would have to be a pro bowler or better and god help us if he's just a solid player. a 1st, three 2nds and two 3rds for a pretty good player? That would be a bust. Plus the #5 pick is a big cap hit. It would pretty much guarantee we had to cut Crabtree loose. There is no rookie cap benefit for the very top picks in the draft.

Share 49ersWebzone