Thanks Buck, it's good to see the comparisons. I like the pick and hope he can replace Walker, plus be a greater force for inline blocking.
For those who think McDonald won't be able to block...greater weight, strength would seem to counter that notion. I realize size is not the most important factor in blocking but the over reaction against this pick is not rational. The 9ers coaching staff will teach him the nuances of blocking.
If anyone watched Senior Bowl practices and don't like this pick, would you please explain? What I've read indicates he did very well during that week.
There are 745 users in the forums
Tight End Class of 2013
- 1 2
May 11, 2013 at 6:43 AM
- dtg_9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,204
May 11, 2013 at 9:36 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,886
I'm also VERY happy w/the pick. He and Lattimore are the only 2 that I got right in my draft prediction.
It's difficult for a rookie to come in and be better than a VERY good guy he's replacing in the beginning of the season.
As the season progresses and with the good coaching we have; I'm confident Vance will have a very good rookie season.
It's difficult for a rookie to come in and be better than a VERY good guy he's replacing in the beginning of the season.
As the season progresses and with the good coaching we have; I'm confident Vance will have a very good rookie season.
May 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM
- highway49
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,082
Me hopes that "Vance the Lance" will carve-up defenses. Aka . Sir Vancealot.
[ Edited by highway49 on May 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM ]
May 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
- kronik
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,316
U forgot to list their arm length measurements
[ Edited by kronik on May 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM ]
May 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM
- JustinNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,762
After reading this I am more comfortable with this pick. Vance produced in a mediocre offense and he has great athleticism. Can someone add arm length and bench press and vertical jump to this analysis of YEs
May 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM
- LifelongNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,759
I wouldn't put too much weight on the numbers considering the difference in competition, but as far as measurables and potential, Vance McDonald compares very favorably to the other tight ends. I like the pick and expect big things from him in 2013.
May 12, 2013 at 4:13 AM
- buck
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by kronik:
U forgot to list their arm length measurements
Whoops
Arms and Hands
Vance McDonald 34 3/8 10 1/8
Kelce 33 3/4 9 5/8
Gavin Escobar 33 5/8 9 3/4
Eifert 33 1/8 9 1/8
Ertz 31 3/4 9 3/4
May 12, 2013 at 4:41 AM
- buck
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
After reading this I am more comfortable with this pick. Vance produced in a mediocre offense and he has great athleticism. Can someone add arm length and bench press and vertical jump to this analysis of YEs
I have added Arms and Hands, Bench, BJ, and VJ to the list.
May 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM
- NTeply49
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,609
I was thrilled with this pick and favored him over Kelce due to injury concerns. He is so raw, and stacks of favorably to everyone listed, yet he is experienced as a slot receiver.Perfect fit for what we needed to compliment Davis and fill the void left by Walker, with way more upside and more size than Delanie offered.
May 12, 2013 at 12:52 PM
- buck
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by AmpLee:
I don't blame Kelce for not participating in the BJ competition.
But, would he have participated in the broad jump?
Yeah, I know it would have depended on who the broad was.
May 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM
- Young2Rice
- Veteran
- Posts: 71,767
So McDonald is bigger, faster and stronger then all the tight ends and played slot WR?
Sounds like a juiced up Delanie.
Sounds like a juiced up Delanie.
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM
- NinerSickness
- Member
- Posts: 8,897
Buck, you must've used a different resource for 40 times. Walter's football lists Eifert's official 40 time as 4.68 and McDonald's as 4.69. And not to be a stickler, but they have Eifert at 250 not 251. The only reason I mention it is because I think it's weird how people can get different weight numbers from the same combine.
That's still great newsabout the 40 time considering Vance had 17 pounds on Eifert.
That's still great newsabout the 40 time considering Vance had 17 pounds on Eifert.
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jun 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
Jun 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM
- Phoenix49ers
- Veteran
- Posts: 132,373
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Buck, you must've used a different resource for 40 times. Walter's football lists Eifert's official 40 time as 4.68 and McDonald's as 4.69. And not to be a stickler, but they have Eifert at 250 not 251. The only reason I mention it is because I think it's weird how people can get different weight numbers from the same combine.
That's still great newsabout the 40 time considering Vance had 17 pounds on Eifert.
That's because McDonald's official time was 4.69, he was among the fastest TE's, but not the fastest. Best size to speed combination though.
Jun 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM
- buck
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,137
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
Buck, you must've used a different resource for 40 times. Walter's football lists Eifert's official 40 time as 4.68 and McDonald's as 4.69. And not to be a stickler, but they have Eifert at 250 not 251. The only reason I mention it is because I think it's weird how people can get different weight numbers from the same combine.
That's still great newsabout the 40 time considering Vance had 17 pounds on Eifert.
I got the times for nfldraftscout.com, I posted the link immediately below the list of 40 times.
At the combine, there are two official times and one official time. I have decided just to use nfldraftscout for my times.
Here is the link again.
Not sure why I have Eifert at 251.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=TE&draftyear=2013&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC
[ Edited by buck on Jun 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM ]
- 1 2