There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who would 49ers have picked if they stayed at #34?

Who would 49ers have picked if they stayed at #34?

It was probably Tank. Maybe they had him and Johnthan Banks closely ranked and went with Tank so that's why they didn't go corner. I wouldn't be surprised if they had their sites on Mathieu but he didn't fall to the 4th.
It was Tank all along, they knew that the tendency for most teams is not to take someone who just had surgery in the first two to three rounds, you want to take someone who can contribute to the team that year that he was drafted especially if you are a bottom feeder team. The niners however have that luxery right now on taking a chance on players like Tank and Lattimore. So they knew they could move back.

Nowhere did Baalke or JH say they wanted a CB in a specific round, it was not a pressing need as S, DL, or TE. However, my guess if they tried to target someone would have been in the third to forth rounds, instead of Lemonier, if Tyrann Mathieu was available and not selected by Cardinals, would have been taken, this in the face that Reid gave his endorsement of his teammate at about that time in an interview.

As for Hunter, the team had no intention of picking him, you don't trade to a team your pick of a player you want, and before anyone says the other team pulled a fast one and lied, just remember, you do that and it will get around the league not to trade with you.

Ertz, was just a flash and sexy pick that people got hooked on because of his relation to the bay area and ties to JH, but you should have seen that coming, by looking at past history, how many players have the 49ers taken from stanford? They know the players like the back of their hands, they're right there and can see them a lot. Especially Baalke, when he is not on the road (like when he got a glimpse of Patton), he is attending either the Cal or Stanford games, or have you forgotten how he talked about attending all of Stanford's games and got to know JH before Jim was hired by the niners. Plus a lot of people are hooked on thinks that are visible, stats, but don't look at the things the players doesn't do or lacking in.
[ Edited by WildBill on May 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Hunter or Tank that is a hard choice for me. Glad things worked out and we got Tank and a third rounder next year.
Originally posted by GORO:
Hunter or Tank that is a hard choice for me. Glad things worked out and we got Tank and a third rounder next year.

Not that tough when you consider which one actually fits on the 49ers roster. 49ers needed a DE to develop behind Justin Smith, they got one. They needed a receiver with reliable hands who can run-block well....they got that too in the form of Patton.
Harbaugh said that they had CB targeted during the draft but it didn't work out. "There definitely were times in the draft that we wanted cornerbacks. Had them targeted. But, that's the way it worked out."

So if this pick was targeted for Tank, with which pick were they targeting a CB?
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GORO:

Not that tough when you consider which one actually fits on the 49ers roster. 49ers needed a DE to develop behind Justin Smith, they got one. They needed a receiver with reliable hands who can run-block well....they got that too in the form of Patton.

With very good value too. 4th round pick for Patton was a steal!!!
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Harbaugh said that they had CB targeted during the draft but it didn't work out. "There definitely were times in the draft that we wanted cornerbacks. Had them targeted. But, that's the way it worked out."

So if this pick was targeted for Tank, with which pick were they targeting a CB?

Maybe in the 4th.....where they basically went BPA?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
IIRC Harbaugh or Baalke said that they intended to take a CB, but the draft just didn't fall that way.

If we have to guess (and it truly would just be a guess), if it wasn't Carradine it's most likely a CB or DB taken between 18 and 34, meaning it's Trufant, Rhodes, or maybe even Cyprien.

Did they say that about the 1st or 2nd round?? Sorry I don't know what article you're referring to. But if its the 1st round maybe they thought DJ Hayden would be there, I'm just speculating, Xavier Rhodes would've been good too, but in the end I'm happy with Reid.

Nah, it didn't say.

This I can say with near certainty though after watching Baalke move around a draft for multiple years now:

If the 9ers truly had Tank targeted for #34, there's not a chance in hell he would have moved back to 40 hoping he could still get his guy.

One of two (or two of two) things had to have happened:

1) There was somebody targeted at #34 who wasn't there by the time we got to #34 (which very well may have been a CB)

2) At 34 there was at least one (and most likely more) players that Baalke had rated as equivalent to Tank, which made him feel comfortable that one of those players would be there six spots later. Baalke has basically already come out and said this. That could have been someone like Slay, Ertz, or Hunter who went in between the trade back, or someone who went after we took Tank but who they had as equivalent to Tank (e.g. Banks, Amerson, Wood).
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on May 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
IIRC Harbaugh or Baalke said that they intended to take a CB, but the draft just didn't fall that way.

If we have to guess (and it truly would just be a guess), if it wasn't Carradine it's most likely a CB or DB taken between 18 and 34, meaning it's Trufant, Rhodes, or maybe even Cyprien.

Did they say that about the 1st or 2nd round?? Sorry I don't know what article you're referring to. But if its the 1st round maybe they thought DJ Hayden would be there, I'm just speculating, Xavier Rhodes would've been good too, but in the end I'm happy with Reid.

Nah, it didn't say.

This I can say with near certainty though after watching Baalke move around a draft for multiple years now:

If the 9ers truly had Tank targeted for #34, there's not a chance in hell he would have moved back to 40 hoping he could still get his guy.

1) There was somebody targeted at #34 who wasn't there by the time we got to #34 (which very well may have been a CB)

2) At 34 there was at least one (and most likely more) players that Baalke had rated as equivalent to Tank, which made him feel comfortable that one of those players would be there six spots later. Baalke has basically already come out and said this. That could have been someone like Slay, Ertz, or Hunter who went in between the trade back, or someone who went after we took Tank but who they had as equivalent to Tank (e.g. Banks, Amerson, Wood).

Maybe it was Xavier Rhodes then, he was the last CB take after the 9ers picked. But I kinda believed that too, if Tank were their main target, they would've chosen him at 34. How else would they have known Tank would still be there at 40, both the Chargers and the Jets could/should've upgraded their pass-rush. I'm just gonna call it a chance that was taken.
^^^ Yeah, I think there's an urge among fans to think that their team gets the guys they truly desire, even though we know that's regularly not the case. The motivation is probably even stronger for someone like Tank, who leading up to the draft fans seemed to value a bit more than teams did (a whole mess of people thought he'd be gone by 31).

So, of course not saying that the 9ers didn't value Tank, but they clearly didn't value him at 34, or were as comfortable taking someone else as they were with taking him at 40.

Nah, it didn't say.

That makes sense. They probably wanted CB Rhodes, and when they were unable to get him they wanted to move back.
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just my opinion:

1. We weren't as interested in Ertz as the people on here think (or wish).
2. I don't think we targeted CB that early. Maybe mid rounds but doubt at 34. We are pretty stacked at CB. A rookie probably starts at 5 or 6 on the depth chart.
3. I think Carradine was their target all along. They took a good calculated risk he would still be there at 40. If he wasn't like Baalke said you never trade down only having 1 player in mind. Who knows the group they were picking from at 40 if Carradine is gone. I still doubt it's Ertz, Slay or Hunter.
4. When we traded down with the Titans at 34 and picked up their 3rd next year I almost guarantee you we asked them who they wanted. You don't trade with a team who is targeting a player you want. It won't make Hunter fans happy but if we wanted him we wouldn't have traded with the Titans. Then again we could have had some interest in him and decided the early to mid 3rd next year and the player at 40 was more worth it.
5. If Fangio said that he was probably referring to Carradine as a 3-4 DE. It's true as a 3-4 DE right now he is very raw and no where near what McDonald is. It will take him time and he will have to bulk up 15 or so pounds.
I am very happy with the way Harbaalke handled the draft and free agency.

Agree. I thought about resurrecting the Baalke wears a fuzzy hat thread just because of how happy I was with the draft.

You'll have no objection from the purveyor of that thread

Nah, it didn't say.

Maybe it was Xavier Rhodes then, he was the last CB take after the 9ers picked. But I kinda believed that too, if Tank were their main target, they would've chosen him at 34. How else would they have known Tank would still be there at 40, both the Chargers and the Jets could/should've upgraded their pass-rush. I'm just gonna call it a chance that was taken.

That makes the most sense. Tank couldn't have been a "must get" priorty if he was valued at 34th. Somone they wanted must have been picked, so Baalke must have thought might as well trade down and try to stockpile another pick for next year as a plan B if you will.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Baalke said they had a player targeted at #34, but he didn't know who would be available at #40 and they had a group of acceptable players. Harbaugh said that they had CB targeted during the draft but it didn't work out. "There definitely were times in the draft that we wanted cornerbacks. Had them targeted. But, that's the way it worked out."

We know that CB wasn't targeted with the picks in the 1st Reid, 2nd McDonald and 3rd Lemonier since they traded up for them. Also unlikely that they wanted a CB in the 4th. So I think that they may have picked CB Slay at #34 if they hadn't traded back to #40. Or perhaps Harbaugh wanted Hawthorne or McGee in the 5th?

I'm not sure that Carradine was their first choice, as Fangio said: "Carradine can only hope to be as good as Ray McDonald some day," Fangio said. "He's got a lot of climbing to do before I'm ready to compare him to Ray."
I'm on board with most of your thinking (nice analysis, by the way), except I don't think Fangio's comment is any indication of not liking Carradine as prospect. I think he was simply going out of his way to praise an established pro.
Originally posted by Rascal:
That makes the most sense. Tank couldn't have been a "must get" priorty if he was valued at 34th. Somone they wanted must have been picked, so Baalke must have thought might as well trade down and try to stockpile another pick for next year as a plan B if you will.

Between days 1 and 2 Baalke said they absolutely knew who they were going to pick if they kept #34.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home