There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Concerns with Eric Reid

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Coach knows Reid from high school. The last time Baalke moved up in the draft the Niners selected Aldon Smith. They know this guy.

That is not true lol. They traded up for kaep
If my memory serves me correct Balkee didn't want Mays, but Singletary insisted they draft him. I believe an argument broke out over it. That's why when Singletary left the first thing Balkee did was trade him away for practically nothing.

That being said, if Reid reminded Balkee of Mays whatsoever I doubt he'd draft him.
[ Edited by mustangmele on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:23 PM ]
Coach knows Reid from high school. The last time Baalke moved up in the draft the Niners selected Aldon Smith. They know this guy.

I'd call this a brain fart .... we didn't trade up for Smith h*ll we could have trade down 4-5 spots N still got Smith ...
I think his comp should be "bigger and more athletic Dashon Goldson" relatively quickly. Then if all goes well the sky is the limit.
I don't see all those negatives in the tape. Like most, I see a Dashon Goldson type safety with better ball skills coming out of college. Goldson's scouting report:

Negatives: Lacks that sharp burst needed to recover when beaten deep … Gets sloppy in his tackling at times (mostly in space), possible due to a previous shoulder injury, as he is inconsistent wrapping (better wrapper in closed quarters) and will miss a few open field tackles … Slow to read and react to plays when playing in man coverage (struggles to locate the ball with his back turned to the action) … Could improve his pursuit range once he learns how to take proper angles … Can make the interception, but lacks natural hands (tends to basket catch, resulting in several picks turning into deflections) … Lacks the second gear to recover when beaten on long routes and will miss a few tackles working in space (hit-&-miss type on the move, but better when he lets the play come to him) … Will need further medical evaluation, as he has suffered injuries to both shoulders during his career.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
I'd call this a brain fart .... we didn't trade up for Smith h*ll we could have trade down 4-5 spots N still got Smith ...

LOL.....will people stop making this ridiculous claim......2 years later it still continues....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
LOL.....will people stop making this ridiculous claim......2 years later it still continues....

Ridiculous lol, guy only had 19.5 sacks last season, added to the fact that the Texans wanted him like 4 picks later.
[ Edited by GoldenJoe on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM ]

Will I wasn't around 2 yrs but I do remember what I read about it all so whatever ...
They would not have traded up for this guy if he was not a good player.

Huh? we didnt move up for Aldon. We moved up for Anthony Davis. But I get your point.
Will I wasn't around 2 yrs but I do remember what I read about it all so whatever ...

Aldon was mocked anywhere from between pick's 5-12, Houston absolutely loved him, there's absolutely not a snowball's chance in hell the 49ers could have traded down 4 or 5 spots and still gotten him.
Watching this video seems to prove that Reid is a very good center fielder, making up for missed tackles by team mates. I do not see bad angles or missed tackles. Is he wrong sometimes in covering an area? Depends what his responsibilities were. He makes up a lot of ground to finish off plays and I do not see Taylor Mays at all!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Watching this video seems to prove that Reid is a very good center fielder, making up for missed tackles by team mates. I do not see bad angles or missed tackles. Is he wrong sometimes in covering an area? Depends what his responsibilities were. He makes up a lot of ground to finish off plays and I do not see Taylor Mays at all!

I saw Reid making up for miscues by teammates while with Mays, teammates were usually making up for his miscues.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
First off, I'd like to say that we had a phenomenal draft IMO.. Got great value and great players in rounds 2 and beyond..

I'm not really an Eric Reid hater, and I think he can develop, but I can't help myself from seeing Taylor Mays 2.0.. If you have the time, take a look at this video..

[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 30, 2013 at 8:31 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

I saw Reid making up for miscues by teammates while with Mays, teammates were usually making up for his miscues.

IMO, Reid obviously isn't anywhere near how raw Mays was, but he's still not as polished that I would have liked out of a first round draft pick and probable starter for a super bowl contending team.. Although I think he has great potential and can be better than Goldson.. Also, I do not see the coverage skills and ball skills that I would have liked out of a Free Safety.. But again, that's just my opinion
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home