LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Concerns with Eric Reid

First off, I'd like to say that we had a phenomenal draft IMO.. Got great value and great players in rounds 2 and beyond..

I'm not really an Eric Reid hater, and I think he can develop, but I can't help myself from seeing Taylor Mays 2.0.. If you have the time, take a look at this video..

I see a ton of terrible angles, terrible form tackling, and terrible pass coverage.. I'm hoping this can be fixed because he has great athletic ability, but I'm having awful flashbacks to that USC safety... I personally don't think he was worth our 1st and an early 3rd rounder, but I trust the front office and I guess we'll see what he can bring to the table....

Edit: Just to make it clear, the comparison with Mays was simply comparing the potential to be a "bust".. IMO, Reid has one of the highest ceilings out of all players in the draft.. It's just his downside that scares me.. He has the potential to be a better Goldson, but also the floor of being a pretty big bust..

Also, I was not a fan of picking a player with the same skill set as Goldson, and think we would have been better served getting a safety that is more polished in coverage.. But obviously, the coaching staff / front office saw the pass rush as the problem, which I can't argue with..

All in all, I'm excited for Reid's potential, but a little scared that the negatives in his play won't be fixed.. But I guess that can be said for many prospects!
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Apr 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM ]
I've watched this. I don't at all see Mays. Reid doesn't take perfect angles, but no where near as bad as Mays. He's a pretty good tackler, but not fantastic. He's actually a very safe player to have in the secondary. Won't make a ton of plays, but won't screw up too often. He had some very good games in that video. There are 2 other full games available for viewing where he performs fairly well
I'm counting on Baalke/JH drafting the 2011 version of Reid.

If that turns out to be the cse, he'll be a terror.

Not worried at all.
Originally posted by Cooper22:
First off, I'd like to say that we had a phenomenal draft IMO.. Got great value and great players in rounds 2 and beyond..

I'm not really an Eric Reid hater, and I think he can develop, but I can't help myself from seeing Taylor Mays 2.0.. If you have the time, take a look at this video..

I see a ton of terrible angles, terrible form tackling, and terrible pass coverage.. I'm hoping this can be fixed because he has great athletic ability, but I'm having awful flashbacks to that USC safety... I personally don't think he was worth our 1st and an early 3rd rounder, but I trust the front office and I guess we'll see what he can bring to the table....

I'm not seeing this Mays comparison at all, not sure what you're seeing. Two entirely different players. Mays was about as stiff as a surfboard, had terrible hips, very poor lateral movement, even if he played linebacker he'd have been awful in coverage. Reid is far more fluid, you can see much better hip movement, better agility, backpedals better. Mays got covered up for by a superior USC secondary, Reid was often left out on an island while Mathieu went Honey Badger on everyone.

The biggest difference between the two is that Reid's problems(taking improper angles, getting caught staring in the backfield, being too aggressive and biting on play fakes) are entirely coachable while for Mays (bad hips, bad instincts in coverage) they were entirely structural and not correctable.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
man you should have emailed this video to Baalke before the draft.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm not seeing this Mays comparison at all, not sure what you're seeing. Two entirely different players. Mays was about as stiff as a surfboard, had terrible hips, very poor lateral movement, even if he played linebacker he'd have been awful in coverage. Reid is far more fluid, you can see much better hip movement, better agility, backpedals better. Mays got covered up for by a superior USC secondary, Reid was often left out on an island while Mathieu went Honey Badger on everyone.

The biggest difference between the two is that Reid's problems(taking improper angles, getting caught staring in the backfield, being too aggressive and biting on play fakes) are entirely coachable while for Mays (bad hips, bad instincts in coverage) they were entirely structural and not correctable.

It wasn't so much a direct comparison as it was more of seeing a lot of negative from the games highlighted in that video.. I guess I'm more disappointed in the type of safety that Reid is rather than his ability..

After these past playoff games, I was hoping for more of a ball-hawking, coverage type safety (for example, Redskins picked up 2 of those in the draft)..

I think the better comparison for Reid would be a younger Goldson, which isn't a bad thing, but I was hoping for something different
Originally posted by susweel:

I know right.. He probably hasn't seen any of this tape and I'm sure he'd value my opinion!
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by susweel:

I know right.. He probably hasn't seen any of this tape and I'm sure he'd value my opinion!

lol yes this footage is hard to find Im sure he hasn't seen it.

Okay you cant go off to much what he did in the past. These draft picks are not finished products they will improve with proper coaching and development. This guy has everything to be a good player its just a matter of how he develops.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Bust!

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Sure hope that you're right about the coaching thing.

My disappointment with the pick stems from the fact that: Here you are in a major college program with plenty of playing experience and you still haven't figured out how to take the correct angles. A lot of which is dependant on having good instincts not to mention fundamentals. Poor tackler too. Must admit that I was disappointed with the pick in light of what it cost.

I sure hope that my concerns, and those of the original poster it seems, are unfounded. Overall, loved the draft, though.
need to be patient with him, he ain't going to come in and be dashon goldson right away.

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way becaue I really don't mean any disrespect. But I find all the comparisons on these boards of Reid to Mays to be a bit lazy. I understand we got burned by him before, but I feel people are only making this comparison because they both play safety and some board members preferred we stayed at 31, kept our draft pick and taken someone else. Reid and Mays are different players, have different abilities, and in my opinion, different weaknesses.

Now, this is not to say that Eric Reid will succeed. I hope he does, but it is possible he could flame out in a few years - that happens sometimes. But I believe if he does flameout, it will not be because he's too stiff in the hips like Mays - it will be for other reasons.

Finally, my main reason for not believing in the Reid - Mays comparisons is this: Baalke drafted Mays. He saw him play for a year. He didn't like what he saw and moved him. Then two years later, he looks for Goldson's replacement. Do you think he would draft someone that was similar in skills and abilities to a guy he traded 2 years back? I'm just not buying it.
Coach knows Reid from high school. The last time Baalke moved up in the draft the Niners selected Aldon Smith. They know this guy.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I've watched this. I don't at all see Mays. Reid doesn't take perfect angles, but no where near as bad as Mays. He's a pretty good tackler, but not fantastic. He's actually a very safe player to have in the secondary. Won't make a ton of plays, but won't screw up too often. He had some very good games in that video. There are 2 other full games available for viewing where he performs fairly well

I see more Goldson in him than Mays....
Share 49ersWebzone