LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 388 users in the forums

The 10 Best Picks in the Draft

Honorable mentions: Webb to Dallas, Steadman Baily to StL, Mellet to Bal, Datone Jones to GB, 2RBs to GB, Allen to SD, Lattimore to SF, Alford to ATL, Poyer in the 7th!, Commings to KC

10. EJ Manual to the Bills. They identified their guy and got him. This was a gutsy move, and proved that they understand the value of the position. Worst case scenario you wasted a 1st rd pick in a draft that's weak in rd. 1. Best case, you found your QB. If you watch an interview with him you'll clearly see why they liked him so much.

9. Luke Joeckel to the Jaguars. They're getting dinged because OT wasn't a need. They got the best player in the draft and now have the best set of bookends in the league, to protect whatever QB is drafted next year. The line will have a chance to develop chemistry prior to the QB of the future being drafted.

8. Tank to SF. A top talent at one of the most premium positions, at pick 40. Since we don't need instant gratification, we can wait.

7. DeAndre Hopkins to Houston. He's my favorite player in the draft and he'll have a chance to play with Andre Johnson. This is insane. Could be the best WR duo since Bruce/Holt and Wayne/Harrison. Too bad Johnson is getting up there in age. Would be fun to see those 2 in their prime playing together. Oh...and with a better qb of course.

6. Quinton Patton to SF. Just a fantastic value in the 4th. This was a player I really liked, and in some ways more than Allen. The fact that he is this developed of a route runner, considering his lack of experience with a big time football program, is really impressive. The steal of the 4th in my opinion.

5. Tavon Austin to StL. With one pick Bradford goes from having no weapons, to having perhaps the most dynamic one in the draft. They realized the importance of speed on offense, and putting the QB in position to succeed. Now it's up to Bradford to take the next step. I like the aggressiveness. The team needed a big time player after passing up RGIII last year, and if Austin is as good as advertised, perhaps they can reconcile that a bit (I am aware that the pick used to acquire the 8th pick in '13 was the Rams' own pick, and not Washington's, but without the additional 1st rounder, not sure they would make the move).

4. Moore to NYG. This is simple. Prior to a slow run Moore was talked about as a top 5 pick. He was drafted in the 3rd round. Giants keep stock-piling pass-rushers while the rest of the league sits around and watches.

3. Jesse Williams to Seattle. This is without question the best pick of Rd. 5. Sure he had medical concerns, but a guy of that size/strength/athletecism is very rare, and was a 1st rd value. If his injury prevents him from playing then they blew a 5th round pick. Big whoop. If, however, he recovers (which he very likely will), then he'll be the steal of the draft. Seattle trades away its first round pick, then picks up a guy with 1st round value in the fifth...

2. Ryan Nassib to NYG. In the 4th!? In 3 years, when sent home packing after consecutive losing seasons and a failure to turn around their respective teams, several coaches will look back at their decision to pass up on Nassib and cry. Now the Giants have a QB to back-up Manning, or if the development goes well, even take over for him in 3 years. Oh, and very likely they'll be able to trade him for way more than a 4th round pick at some point, if they choose. You always take a QB when the opportunity presents itself.

1. Arthur Brown to Baltimore. This was soooo good. This was the best LB in the draft, and will be a fantastic replacement for Lewis (while obviously a downgrade). Best part? He wasn't drafted in the first, and isn't a big name (like Te'o), so the pressure is off for him to be the next Ray Lewis. Very under-the-rader pick, and a brilliant move by Newsome. Oh! and what freaking great value in the late 2nd! Best pick, of what is arguably the best draft class of this year.
Good post.

Jesse's medical concerns have to be a serious question if every team passed him by for 4+ rounds after he was projected as a low 1st - high 2nd.

If we get the 2011 version of Eric Reid instead of the 2012 vesrion - then IMO, we'll have #1.
Moore to the Giants won't make sound.
What were the top 10 from last year and the year before? Now is the time to look back...
Lotulelei to Carolina is up there
  • kent
  • Veteran
Fun. Not sold on EJ Manual, though. Could include any of the Vikings 1st round picks as well.
Alot of people would argue for Lattemore pick.
In my opinion, EJ Manual should be on the list of the worst 10 picks in the draft. Buffalo could have had Nassib MUCH later which would have made more sense. They want EJ to start right away and he is not Luck, RG3, or Wilson in being ready for that.
Originally posted by NCommand:
What were the top 10 from last year and the year before? Now is the time to look back...

#1 Russel Wilson... and it pains me to say it
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Alot of people would argue for Lattemore pick.

That was a good pick. Definitely. But great RB value is very common. i'm optimistic because it seems that medical science has figured out ACL/MCL injuries. Or at least the recent evidence suggests it may have...

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
In my opinion, EJ Manual should be on the list of the worst 10 picks in the draft. Buffalo could have had Nassib MUCH later which would have made more sense. They want EJ to start right away and he is not Luck, RG3, or Wilson in being ready for that.

I understand your point. However, the draft is a crapshoot at any position. I like that they were not afraid to take their guy. If the niners had bypassed Aldon Smith and drafted CK at #7 2 years ago, everyone would hail that a tremendous reach and given that pick an F. Looking back, he should have earned an A+ even as the 1st pick in the draft... or most drafts for that matter. Had the team not gotten lucky with the trade-up, and lost out on him.... well we would be in a very different place right now. Point being, if you see a QB you like, take him. f**k "value" or "could get later". Leave that to other positions. I admire that move for that reason.
Share 49ersWebzone