There are 444 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

DRAFT RECAP: WHICH TEAM DID BAD?

DRAFT RECAP: WHICH TEAM DID BAD?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Good point Gore 21! I think the NFL is such a big business that the days of a single person controlling the draft is gone for all teams. Al Davis may have been the last...though Jerry Jones is trying hard to be that guy...even he can't seem to screw up as in days of old.

Yeah, probably much better info on players out there. Better technology and all that. Teams are probably listening to many head scouts, multiple coaches, and getting everyone's opinion. Like you said nobody seems to be a 1 man team anymore like Davis but Jerry Jones is trying. My brother is a cowboys fans and said Jerry was in control as usually making all the picks and not letting Garrett help out. Maybe they put in their opinions but he probably vetoes stuff left and right. Guy likes to pick from his alma matter Arkansas too much. Also goes with the Oklahoma area a lot. Most of the cowboy fans except the rose colored glasses are realizing or have realized Jones should be gone and needs to get out of the way. Like my brother says Jones puts butts in the seats and sells a lot of merchandise so Jones is happy with himself. Even if he got out of day to day he's probably run a puppet regime with his son Stephen. My brother told me Stephen has kids so the Jones family might own the team for 50 more years.

As for their draft I think they have some solid players in Williams and BW Webb, Escobar and maybe Randle. Am a badger fan and don't like wisconsin olineman. They take average talent guys and coach them up to be really good by relying on technique. They are massively outmatched in talent once they hit the nfl. Bo Ryan does the same thing for the basketball team. Jones screwed up the 1st round and reached for Frederick bad but after that did alright. But back to Jones a lot of Cowboy fans believe Jones is still living on that 89, 90, 91 etc drafts and that the best thing he did is hire Jimmy Johnson. They think all the success was due to Jimmy Johnson and that Jones drove him out with his ego. Probably the truth, since Johnson left they won 1 super bowl with Switzer but it was Jimmy's team. Since their SB in the 95 season they have 2 playoff wins.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:53 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Worst:

Chicago Bears
1 - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
2 - Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida
4 - Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
5 - Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech
6 - Cornelius Washington, OLB, Georgia
7 - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington St.

2nd Worst:
Denver Broncos
1 - Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
2 - Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
3 - Kayvon Webster, CB,
5 - Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
5 - Tavarres King, WR, Georgia
6 - Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech
7 - Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)

3rd Worst:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2 - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St.
3 - Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina St.
4 - Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois
4 - William Gholston, DE, Michigan St.
5 - Steven Means, DE, Buffalo
6 - Mike James, RB, Miami

Yah I thought Chicago had the worst draft, seriously they past on Kevin Minter, Alec Olgetree and Manti Te'o for Kyle Long!!! Shoot I would've picked Travis Frederick over Long.
Dont care. All I know is the Niners arent on this list and that is all that matters to me,
For the overall worst draft class, based on value for picks, talent of picks, fitting scheme:

1. Detroit Lions- Two DEs in their first four picks, an interior OL, a corner who is boom or bust in Slay. This draft just looks ridiculous.
2. Indianapolis Colts- Drafted a 43 DE as their 34 OLB, then drafted three slow, plodding interior lineman. Makes zero sense.
3. New York Giants- Pass on Eifert to draft Pugh, who will have to play guard in the NFL. Hankins plays with little passion, Moore is slow as molasses. Yuck!
4. Dallas- Hated their first three picks in Frederick, Escobar and T. Williams. Love their next two in Wilcox and Webb. Frederick in the first. Ugly!
5. NE Patriots- The decline of the Pats is going to happen real soon. After the solid pick of Collins, they follow it with Dobson, Ryan, Harmon. Bad, bad, bad.

These aren't the only ugly drafts, but a good start.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Yeah, probably much better info on players out there. Better technology and all that. Teams are probably listening to many head scouts, multiple coaches, and getting everyone's opinion. Like you said nobody seems to be a 1 man team anymore like Davis but Jerry Jones is trying. My brother is a cowboys fans and said Jerry was in control as usually making all the picks and not letting Garrett help out. Maybe they put in their opinions but he probably vetoes stuff left and right. Guy likes to pick from his alma matter Arkansas too much. Also goes with the Oklahoma area a lot. Most of the cowboy fans except the rose colored glasses are realizing or have realized Jones should be gone and needs to get out of the way. Like my brother says Jones puts butts in the seats and sells a lot of merchandise so Jones is happy with himself. Even if he got out of day to day he's probably run a puppet regime with his son Stephen. My brother told me Stephen has kids so the Jones family might own the team for 50 more years.

As for their draft I think they have some solid players in Williams and BW Webb, Escobar and maybe Randle. Am a badger fan and don't like wisconsin olineman. They take average talent guys and coach them up to be really good by relying on technique. They are massively outmatched in talent once they hit the nfl. Bo Ryan does the same thing for the basketball team. Jones screwed up the 1st round and reached for Frederick bad but after that did alright. But back to Jones a lot of Cowboy fans believe Jones is still living on that 89, 90, 91 etc drafts and that the best thing he did is hire Jimmy Johnson. They think all the success was due to Jimmy Johnson and that Jones drove him out with his ego. Probably the truth, since Johnson left they won 1 super bowl with Switzer but it was Jimmy's team. Since their SB in the 95 season they have 2 playoff wins.

I just love watching Jones screw that team up. No idea how much we are paying him but it is money well spent!

An owner with an ego, who thinks he knows football. Nightmare.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
For the overall worst draft class, based on value for picks, talent of picks, fitting scheme:

1. Detroit Lions- Two DEs in their first four picks, an interior OL, a corner who is boom or bust in Slay. This draft just looks ridiculous.
2. Indianapolis Colts- Drafted a 43 DE as their 34 OLB, then drafted three slow, plodding interior lineman. Makes zero sense.
3. New York Giants- Pass on Eifert to draft Pugh, who will have to play guard in the NFL. Hankins plays with little passion, Moore is slow as molasses. Yuck!
4. Dallas- Hated their first three picks in Frederick, Escobar and T. Williams. Love their next two in Wilcox and Webb. Frederick in the first. Ugly!
5. NE Patriots- The decline of the Pats is going to happen real soon. After the solid pick of Collins, they follow it with Dobson, Ryan, Harmon. Bad, bad, bad.

These aren't the only ugly drafts, but a good start.

I agree with your assessment but why don't you like Escobar?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cowboys, Buffalo and the Jets. E.J. Manuel is not Colin Kaepernick, Buffalo way jumped the gun on that one. Travis Frederick was a tremendous reach in the 1st, Jets may have caused themselves a whole new set of problems with the Geno Smith pick, they would have been better off adding more weapons on offense and looking to add a signal caller in the next year's QB-rich draft, as with or without Geno, they're still going to be lousy this season.

I think there is something to be said for the Geno pick and I'm surprised so many people were surprised by it. One of the most obvious facts in the entire NFL is that the Jets didn't have a franchise QB on their roster. And people killing them for taking this year's best in the mid 2nd? Everyone's focusing too much on the drama. Frankly they should start Garrard for most of this year, but it's still a nice pick unless Geno is a bust.

Sometimes, the obvious fact is not the critical fact or even a fact.

Sanchez may not be a great or even good quarterback, but I think the that problems with Jets are much deeper and less obvious.

The Jets are a fluster cluck that start with the FO that brought in the TeBow side show and a the braggart head coach that hss pictures of his wife's foot on the internet to a wide receiver (Holmes, I think) that quit playing during a game to a corner back that holds out at will.

No team cohesion, bad football team, good carnival.
[ Edited by buck on May 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM ]
Hard to figure Jones out. Apparently he hasn't learned from his mistakes - and I'm happy w/that.

Cutler won't last long w/LOng blocking for him. Not a bad pick BUT they could have done so much better.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
dont know about worst, but i thought the Cheifs had a hell of a draft, sepecially if you consider AS a part of that draft. That team is gonna be much improved this season.

Would they have dealt two picks for Smith had they known they could get Fisher and Geno?

lol!
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
dont know about worst, but i thought the Cheifs had a hell of a draft, sepecially if you consider AS a part of that draft. That team is gonna be much improved this season.

I thought that the Chiefs had a terrific draft as well......picking up Bray as an UDFA was almost absurd.

I was thinking the same thing. Reid REALLY lucked out there.

Otherwise, I was really unimpressed with Reid. He should have selected a back-up from one of the Qbs who fell (they were a decent drop IMO) and not have relied on getting lucky. He's going to need a QB to develop because his current back-up is not starter material.
Originally posted by 2Legit2Quit:
I think the Browns take the rotten cake of worst draft. They aren't a talent rich team and only made 5 picks, only two of which were in the top 100 selections. I'm not high on Mingo at all but I think most people who are fans of Mingo would still consider the 6 spot a slight reach. They also just paid Kruger big money and still have Jabaal Sheard, a promising young pass rusher and their best pass rusher the past two seasons, so I didn't even consider OLB to be an area of huge need for them.. Leon McFadden was a solid choice but offers little upside due to his size. He'll contribute as a 3rd/4th CB but I doubt he'll ever be much more than that. So it looks to me they got a situational rusher (Mingo won't be able to hold up in run support until he adds weight, as far as I'm concerned at least) and a nickel CB, plus a few late round fliers. I think the Cowboys at least got a starting caliber interior lineman, a pass catching tight end and heir apparent to Witten, a deep threat WR and eventual replacement at when Miles Austin inevitably goes down, and a developmental/nickel CB in B.W. Webb. They didn't do a good job at all of maneuvering around the board or taking great value at their selection but they added much more talent to their roster than the Browns.

Agree. I wonder if this was Lombardi's doing, or was someone else doing the evaluating and strategizing?

I understand the whole bit about, new regime "let's see what we've got and then come back strong next year", but I don't think that's wise. Unless one truly believes that there was no value to be had. Which is hard to believe. Very lazy. Not good Lombardi, glad you're not a niner.
The jets they gave whoever the qb will be no help at all! No receivers drafted? damn they must really like what they have right now haha

Plus they might have created more Problems by drafting Geno, if he is as cocky as people have said, the media will eat him and the jets alive
Cowboys, Buffalo and the Jets. E.J. Manuel is not Colin Kaepernick, Buffalo way jumped the gun on that one. Travis Frederick was a tremendous reach in the 1st, Jets may have caused themselves a whole new set of problems with the Geno Smith pick, they would have been better off adding more weapons on offense and looking to add a signal caller in the next year's QB-rich draft, as with or without Geno, they're still going to be lousy this season.

I think there is something to be said for the Geno pick and I'm surprised so many people were surprised by it. One of the most obvious facts in the entire NFL is that the Jets didn't have a franchise QB on their roster. And people killing them for taking this year's best in the mid 2nd? Everyone's focusing too much on the drama. Frankly they should start Garrard for most of this year, but it's still a nice pick unless Geno is a bust.

And I also believe that Buffalo did the right thing in picking Manuel. He may not be Colin Kaepernick, but I do believe that he was the best choice and will prove to be a worthy starter down the road. Big and athletic, with a strong arm. Looks to be a player. Good choice.

One cannot accurately predict from year to year what the following year will bring. This year's crop was supposed to be strong, with Barkley, Landry Jones, Bray, the guy Oakland picked (whatshisname?). What happened? These teams that go year after year, waiting to fill the most important position on the team get left behind, because it's always "let's wait till next year and see what we've got".
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Argree 2legit--the Cowboy's draft is under rated. They picked up some good players and we won't know how good it is for some time. The Browns draft...what draft?

The Redskins draft was just fine considering they gave up so much for a very good QB last year.

My biggest question would be: Which organization can maximize the talent they drafted? Washington would be my pick because they have the only group of GM & coaches I respect of the four teams.

yep but they broke that qb. you don't pay that price for a qb and break him.
Definitely hard to say that Seattle did bad if you consider the Percy Harvin pick up in trade for their first round selection. With that included, I'd say they had the best draft in the NFCW.