There are 168 users in the forums

DRAFT RECAP: WHICH TEAM DID BAD?

DRAFT RECAP: WHICH TEAM DID BAD?

Have to go with the Cowboys. Laughable first round pick and WTH selections.

OTHER NOTABLES

SERVED NOTICE PICK: Titans picking Justin Hunter meaning Kenny Britt's future don't look good.

THE POUT AWARD GOES TO...:..:Geno Smith

BIGGEST LOSERS: Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib.
[ Edited by robniner on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM ]
Originally posted by robniner:
Have to go with the Cowboys. Laughable first round pick and WTH selections.

OTHER NOTABLES

SERVED NOTICE PICK: Titans picking Justin Hunter meaning Kenny Britt's future don't look good.

THE POUT AWARD GOES TO...:..:Geno Smith

BIGGEST LOSERS: Matt Barkley and Ryan Nassib.

I assume with Barkley and Nassib you're just referring to them falling further than expected. Also for Nassib it's unfortunate he projects as a backup now.

I think the outlook is much better for Barkley. If I were him I'd be excited about competing for a starting job with an energetic and innovative coach whom he's faced four times in college.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for xtm059.
I was pretty excited when we fleeced the cowboys. Go Harbaalke!
I actually think the Lions had a horrible draft. Ziggy Ansah is boom or bust (I think bust) and they didn't address their o-line. Throw in they didn't find a tight end or receiver to ease the pressure off Megatron and I see them picking top 5 again and Schwartz gone. Stafford without a new contract and more questions than answers.
I think the Browns take the rotten cake of worst draft. They aren't a talent rich team and only made 5 picks, only two of which were in the top 100 selections. I'm not high on Mingo at all but I think most people who are fans of Mingo would still consider the 6 spot a slight reach. They also just paid Kruger big money and still have Jabaal Sheard, a promising young pass rusher and their best pass rusher the past two seasons, so I didn't even consider OLB to be an area of huge need for them.. Leon McFadden was a solid choice but offers little upside due to his size. He'll contribute as a 3rd/4th CB but I doubt he'll ever be much more than that. So it looks to me they got a situational rusher (Mingo won't be able to hold up in run support until he adds weight, as far as I'm concerned at least) and a nickel CB, plus a few late round fliers. I think the Cowboys at least got a starting caliber interior lineman, a pass catching tight end and heir apparent to Witten, a deep threat WR and eventual replacement at when Miles Austin inevitably goes down, and a developmental/nickel CB in B.W. Webb. They didn't do a good job at all of maneuvering around the board or taking great value at their selection but they added much more talent to their roster than the Browns.
Argree 2legit--the Cowboy's draft is under rated. They picked up some good players and we won't know how good it is for some time. The Browns draft...what draft?

The Redskins draft was just fine considering they gave up so much for a very good QB last year.

My biggest question would be: Which organization can maximize the talent they drafted? Washington would be my pick because they have the only group of GM & coaches I respect of the four teams.
Seattle did the worst of the NFCW teams
Worst:

Chicago Bears
1 - Kyle Long, OT, Oregon
2 - Jon Bostic, ILB, Florida
4 - Khaseem Greene, OLB, Rutgers
5 - Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech
6 - Cornelius Washington, OLB, Georgia
7 - Marquess Wilson, WR, Washington St.

2nd Worst:
Denver Broncos
1 - Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
2 - Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
3 - Kayvon Webster, CB,
5 - Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
5 - Tavarres King, WR, Georgia
6 - Vinston Painter, OT, Virginia Tech
7 - Zac Dysert, QB, Miami (OH)

3rd Worst:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2 - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi St.
3 - Mike Glennon, QB, North Carolina St.
4 - Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois
4 - William Gholston, DE, Michigan St.
5 - Steven Means, DE, Buffalo
6 - Mike James, RB, Miami
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on Apr 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM ]
Cowboys, Buffalo and the Jets. E.J. Manuel is not Colin Kaepernick, Buffalo way jumped the gun on that one. Travis Frederick was a tremendous reach in the 1st, Jets may have caused themselves a whole new set of problems with the Geno Smith pick, they would have been better off adding more weapons on offense and looking to add a signal caller in the next year's QB-rich draft, as with or without Geno, they're still going to be lousy this season.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Cowboys, Buffalo and the Jets. E.J. Manuel is not Colin Kaepernick, Buffalo way jumped the gun on that one. Travis Frederick was a tremendous reach in the 1st, Jets may have caused themselves a whole new set of problems with the Geno Smith pick, they would have been better off adding more weapons on offense and looking to add a signal caller in the next year's QB-rich draft, as with or without Geno, they're still going to be lousy this season.

I think there is something to be said for the Geno pick and I'm surprised so many people were surprised by it. One of the most obvious facts in the entire NFL is that the Jets didn't have a franchise QB on their roster. And people killing them for taking this year's best in the mid 2nd? Everyone's focusing too much on the drama. Frankly they should start Garrard for most of this year, but it's still a nice pick unless Geno is a bust.

dont know about worst, but i thought the Cheifs had a hell of a draft, sepecially if you consider AS a part of that draft. That team is gonna be much improved this season.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
dont know about worst, but i thought the Cheifs had a hell of a draft, sepecially if you consider AS a part of that draft. That team is gonna be much improved this season.

Would they have dealt two picks for Smith had they known they could get Fisher and Geno?
One thing I will say is teams seem to be doing a better job of drafting lately. I remember 5+ years ago there were a lot of teams where you would think what the h are they doing? Picking players that everyone said wouldn't work out and they thought they could prove everyone wrong. Or reaching by what most consider 2, 3, 4 rounds. This year in particular I think teams did a good job in the trenches (especially OL) and forgot about some of the skill players that they didn't need as bad. Also, nobody besides Buffalo panicked and got a QB way higher than they should. We didn't see Barkley, Nassib in the top 10 just because teams were desperate for a qB. Nobody mortgaged next year's draft by panicking and moving up for a QB at the end of round 1 or early round 2, which seems to be happen every year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM ]
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I thought that the Chiefs had a terrific draft as well......picking up Bray as an UDFA was almost absurd.
Good point Gore 21! I think the NFL is such a big business that the days of a single person controlling the draft is gone for all teams. Al Davis may have been the last...though Jerry Jones is trying hard to be that guy...even he can't seem to screw up as in days of old.
Share 49ersWebzone