LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Passing on Day 3 safeties = vote of confidence in Trent Robinson?

Originally posted by mug0mug:
No one has gone at him in this thread, but people are too hard on Whitner.

He was the 1 SS selection to the pro bowl. Granted, the pro bowl isn't the end all be all of NFL performance evaluation, but you generally aren't getting cut if you're the top player at your position voted to the Pro Bowl in the conference, unless the contract is outrageous. Whitner is a 6 year veteran that was drafted 8th overall and 27 isn't old.

We needed a starting FS and didn't need a starting SS. We needed depth at other positions more than we needed depth at S. That's about the extent of it.

We ain't cutting Whitner, and Harbaugh obviously doesn't want to replace him this year. He had some coverage breakdowns last year, but replacing him with inexperience would be worse.

I reason I'm talking about future is because Whitner's contract is coming up. See Goldson, Dashon.
Agree Lieut -

We're not cutting Whitner.

Also, since our coaches see these guys EVERY DAY then it is a vote of confidence in them - in as much as the players available to be selected wouldn't be an improvement.
Was thinking this also. Possibly why we didn't pick up a "slot CB" as well, hopefully they see something in the guy that gave them confidence to stay away from later rd DBs
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Craig 'The White Squall' Dahl

He was the 1 SS selection to the pro bowl. Granted, the pro bowl isn't the end all be all of NFL performance evaluation, but you generally aren't getting cut if you're the top player at your position voted to the Pro Bowl in the conference, unless the contract is outrageous. Whitner is a 6 year veteran that was drafted 8th overall and 27 isn't old.

We needed a starting FS and didn't need a starting SS. We needed depth at other positions more than we needed depth at S. That's about the extent of it.

This. I actually wanted Whitner gone as I didn't think his play was anywhere near what it was in 2011. But just tracking the moves the FO made (and didn't make) this off-season including the major additions to the d-line/pass rush, it's clear they saw the problem was up front and not so much in the secondary. So I definitely see it as a vote of confidence for Whitner, and also Robinson who they seemingly feel will be ready to take over at SS in 2014.

We'll know for sure though about Robinson if he starts to get more playing time ahead of Whitner this season.
Not sure I see a sign from above yet! The 9ers may still have options for FAs like Woodson or Seymour, or they may really like Robinson/McBath/Spillman...one or all. Same is true on the DLine. Perhaps they really like Ian Williams, or they have a tacit agreement with a NT out there in FAcy land.

NT worries me the most because I think Sopoaga was under rated by many. Strong a bull and quick for a NT, can one of the new guys take his place? Last year he may have fallen off a bit but it was still hard to run up the middle on the 9ers. Of course, they still have Justin and he makes the whole line better! If they lose him again I see more 4/3. Just ramblings of a pretty happy fan!
Harbaugh alluded to that after the draft...there should be plenty of depth everywhere. It's good we have Robinson, Dahl and now Reid at S. All have experience at FS and SS. I think Dahl could be in the mix to replace Whitner, unless the FO throws a curve and decides to keep him (which I doubt, but who knows, really).
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Harbaugh alluded to that after the draft...there should be plenty of depth everywhere. It's good we have Robinson, Dahl and now Reid at S. All have experience at FS and SS. I think Dahl could be in the mix to replace Whitner, unless the FO throws a curve and decides to keep him (which I doubt, but who knows, really).

Again, we have a ton of draft picks next year.

Whitner will replaced by a high draft pick.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
No.

we have six picks in the first three rounds next year.

we probably take a strong safety really high in 2014.

Actually, I think the Niners will move Reid to SS soon and then draft a stud cover FS (unless of course, they already have a guy like that on the roster already). These days, strong safeties also have to be faster and good in coverage. With Reid's size and hitting ability, he is perfect for that position.
[ Edited by nw9erfan on May 2, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
I think the drafting of Reid and pick up of Reid means they are doubtful that Spilman and/or Robinson are ready.

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This. I actually wanted Whitner gone as I didn't think his play was anywhere near what it was in 2011. But just tracking the moves the FO made (and didn't make) this off-season including the major additions to the d-line/pass rush, it's clear they saw the problem was up front and not so much in the secondary. So I definitely see it as a vote of confidence for Whitner, and also Robinson who they seemingly feel will be ready to take over at SS in 2014.

We'll know for sure though about Robinson if he starts to get more playing time ahead of Whitner this season.

Ahead of Whitner? I think you mean if he even makes the roster. C.J. Spillman and Craig Dahl are the third and fourth safeties if Eric Reid is ready to start. After that you have Darcel McBath who played over Robinson last year. That makes Robinson #6 on the depth chart right now. How about we be realistic about the situation...

Trenton Robinson is getting the Nate Davis treatment.
Originally posted by DVDA:
Ahead of Whitner? I think you mean if he even makes the roster. C.J. Spillman and Craig Dahl are the third and fourth safeties if Eric Reid is ready to start. After that you have Darcel McBath who played over Robinson last year. That makes Robinson #6 on the depth chart right now. How about we be realistic about the situation...

Trenton Robinson is getting the Nate Davis treatment.

He can't read?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Would've loved to get Earl Wolff, ballhawk and quick. I think if he was drafted you could slide Eric Reid to SS.
In 2014.......FS-Trent Robinson, SS-Eric Reid...............

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Would've loved to get Earl Wolff, ballhawk and quick. I think if he was drafted you could slide Eric Reid to SS.

I think Eric Read would be well suited for SS. He can obviously play FS but I if we had a FS that could cover essentially play the whole field we could really utilize a bruiser like Reid on crossing routes, TE coverage, and run support. Who ever it was would have to have great instincts, a ballhawk, and quick.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has entertained the idea of Whitner staying on next year and I would have no problem with him staying on if the money was right.

I really hope this draft doesn't bite us in the ass when it comes to the safety position. Quinton Dial and Lattimore were a luxury and they may pan out to be genius picks on the FOs part but Duke Williams, Shamarko Thomas, and Phillip Thomas were available at the beginning of the 4th. I don't see why we didn't trade up to the beginning for one of those guys. Ultimately I think the FO feels confidant in the guys the have.
Share 49ersWebzone