There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft Prediction

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bold prediction: Jadeveon Clowney will not be #1 overall, once he gets the national spotlight for a whole season draft experts will find something not to like. Next year sounds like a better year for QBs and will probably go #1 (Teddy Bridgewater?).

Barring injury or a team with an extreme need at QB drafting #1, there is no way Clowney doesn't go #1. He's had the national spotlight for a long time. He was the #1 overall recruit coming out of HS and was considered by many to be the best HS player in decades.

He has elite measurables and elite production at a position of high priority. He's 6'6", 272 and runs a 4.5. He'll be the most sought after defensive prospect in NFL history.

Yeah... barring injury he goes #1. He is a once/twice in a decade talent at that position, much like Suh went he was coming out. There is almost no flaw to his game.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Sammy Watkins or Clowney at the moment are the only ones I care about.

Marqise Lee is better than Watkins.

How?
This could be fun to come back to in a year.

1. CB- No matter what the performance is from our corners this year, we may be in rebuild mode with our corners simply as money saving measure.
2. WR- Speedy slot receiver. If AJ Jenkins pans out, we should have at minimum two starters going into 2014, so this is a depth pick.
3. NT- I wanted one this year. I'd like to see a guy that can push the pocket, draw double teams, and actually take some of the pressure off of Justin Smith, Ray Mac, and whoever else we have at 3-4 DE.
4. OG/OT- Depth pick.
5. K- If Dawson does well, he will be an expensive resign.
6. SS- Replacement for Whitner.

Of course the 2013 season will truly let us know where our holes are.
way way way too early, but I'll play along.

Must Haves

SS to replace Whitner
Re-Sign Justin for a least 2 seasons to groom Tank
C possible, but if Kilgore or Looney step up, then we are set
WR we have Jenkins, Patton, Crabs signed for 2014, hoping to keep Boldin, and draft a top notch WR between rd 2 and 3, can't afford to keep drafting same positions in rd 1, remember the cap implications with the option year.
NT isn't a need to be honest, by then Ian Williams will have had playing time, and Dorsey isnt going anywhere.

Extensions.

Iupati
Aldon
Kap
Crabs

all need to be explored, not all will be extended , especially in 1 offseason/season. We won't have the cap room.

Edit: CB too. Brown and Asomugha are FAs, hoping one is brought back, maybe both and cut Rogers. Might need to decide between Brown and Culliver.
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM ]
CB looks like the Top need in 2014.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Barring injury or a team with an extreme need at QB drafting #1, there is no way Clowney doesn't go #1. He's had the national spotlight for a long time. He was the #1 overall recruit coming out of HS and was considered by many to be the best HS player in decades.

He has elite measurables and elite production at a position of high priority. He's 6'6", 272 and runs a 4.5. He'll be the most sought after defensive prospect in NFL history.

He wasn't a "national player" till this:

Originally posted by j3xperience:
Barring any real serious injury (Career ending), I predict the 49ers move up to draft Marquise Lee out of USC. We have Crabtree Patton and AJ but he will be our burner and our number 1 to set up one of the most formidable offenses in the current NFL.

The defense is there, in 2014, the offense will be right there with the defense. Let the dynasty begin.

Kasen Williams WR, Washington will be the 49ers 1st pick
Originally posted by Jcool:
He wasn't a "national player" till this:

Incidentally, Patrick Omameh (one of our UDFA pick-ups), can be seen in that video.
Can someone clear something up for me regarding Crabtree's contract?

According to Rotoworld, his contract breaks down like this:

"Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives. The contract can void to five years based on "unlikely to be earned" Pro Bowl and playing-time triggers. Per one clause in the deal, $15 million of Crabtree's available escalators is contingent on him participating in at least 90% of annual offseason workouts. 2013: $4.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent"

So, as I understand it, he will essentially be a FA after this 2013-2014 season, because he in all likelihood won't reach those contract triggers. But can the 49ers decide to not void the contract or does it automatically coid?

I think if we re-sign Iupati, re-signing Crabtree will be hard, and if his contract voids, WR becomes as big a need as CB next draft, IMO.
We should trade our 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick right now for the Raiders 1st round pick. Then we can draft Clowney #1 overall! Make the trade now! Oakland probably thinks they're going to have a good record next year too, lol.
Originally posted by mkary12:

"Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives. The contract can void to five years based on "unlikely to be earned" Pro Bowl and playing-time triggers. Per one clause in the deal, $15 million of Crabtree's available escalators is contingent on him participating in at least 90% of annual offseason workouts. 2013: $4.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus), 2014: $3.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent"

So, as I understand it, he will essentially be a FA after this 2013-2014 season, because he in all likelihood won't reach those contract triggers. But can the 49ers decide to not void the contract or does it automatically coid?

I think if we re-sign Iupati, re-signing Crabtree will be hard, and if his contract voids, WR becomes as big a need as CB next draft, IMO.

FA after the 2014-2015 season...we still have 2 years
Originally posted by jreff22:

What about that potential void though? Not automatic? Not a concern?

He wont hit the void clause....remember he sat out most of his first year. And I doubt he makes the probowl.....we are safe with that. The questions are does he want to stay, will he give a discount, what kind of money does he think he's worth etc etc. I have always been hard on Crabs but he has turned it around. Now we need to know if this big turnoround will be a long term asset for us or does he look to bank elsewhere....I have a bad feeling he goes where the money is. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I dont sense the "Vernon" loyalty to the team.
Salary cap concerns are going to have more and more impact on our draft in coming years. We are unfortunately getting to the point that we will need to let players salaries go that we want to keep and replace with less expensive salaries.

He wont hit the void clause....remember he sat out most of his first year. And I doubt he makes the probowl.....we are safe with that. The questions are does he want to stay, will he give a discount, what kind of money does he think he's worth etc etc. I have always been hard on Crabs but he has turned it around. Now we need to know if this big turnoround will be a long term asset for us or does he look to bank elsewhere....I have a bad feeling he goes where the money is. I could be wrong and I hope I am but I dont sense the "Vernon" loyalty to the team.

Ohhh okay, I understand. Yes, I have a feeling we are not going to be able to keep Crabtree. WR is going to be a need again next offseason, but if Crabtree was a free agent after this season I thought the WR need would be extremely high, along with CB. Since he'll be around for 2 years though, the need isn't as extreme and immediate.