There are 113 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

2014 Draft Prediction

Barring any real serious injury (Career ending), I predict the 49ers move up to draft Marquise Lee out of USC. We have Crabtree Patton and AJ but he will be our burner and our number 1 to set up one of the most formidable offenses in the current NFL.

The defense is there, in 2014, the offense will be right there with the defense. Let the dynasty begin.
De'Anthony Thomas

'nuff said
Tank for Clowney!
we will need:
CB
NT
WR
utility OL
SS
ILB
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
i think Donte Whitner will be an FA right?
Originally posted by Garcia:
i think Donte Whitner will be an FA right?

8/4/2011: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal contains a $2.5 million signing bonus and $4 million guaranteed. 2013: $3.85 million (+ $250,000 workout bonus), 2014: Free Agent
Sammy Watkins or Clowney at the moment are the only ones I care about.
I think our needs going into next year, based on depth, age, contracts, and talent will be:

1. CB - Could see a scenario play out where Rogers, Nnamdi, and Brown are all gone.
2. WR - Like CB, but not as dire with better depth of youngsters. Could see Boldin, Manningham, and KWilliams all gone.
3. SS - Whitner is a FA. If he has a bad year, he definitely won't be back. If he has a good bounce back year, he still might not be back. Trenton Robinson possible future? Need depth, anyways.
4. C - Like Whitner, Goodwin is a FA. However, I feel better about possible replacements Kilgore and Looney. Need C/G depth only if Goodwin leaves.
5. NT - Would love a Casey Hampton type to be a 2 gap plugger in the middle, but i don't think that's what our coaches are looking for in a NT. Not sold on Glenn Dorsey as a NT, either.
6. K - Phil Dawson is old and will be a FA. We need a young kicker so we don't end up bouncing around from vet kicker to vet kicker every year.
7. OT - I'd like to have a true back-up swing OT so that we don't have to move around Alex Boone if Davis or Staley get hurt.
8. QB - Maybe get a higher profile back-up who has the potential to fetch some picks if Kaep gets hurt and has to come in, and plays well.
Not gonna go too much into it now, but I second the De'Anthony Thomas comment. I actually had a back-and-forth about him with a CBS draft analyst on Twitter, who conceded he has the same size and athleticism and playmaking ability as Tavon Austin, but Austin has proven WAY more as a true WR at this point in their careers.

If De'Anthony doesn't show some consistent snaps that require route-running and other WR skills, he could be a 2nd round prospect. But if UO converts him to more of a slot guy with less stuff out of the backfield, he could easily be next year's Austin and go in the top 10.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I doubt we could get James Franklin but if hes there he would be a solid back to Kaepernick. Hes almost identical to Kaep check him out:

Originally posted by Kolohe:
I doubt we could get James Franklin but if hes there he would be a solid back to Kaepernick. Hes almost identical to Kaep check him out:

Reminiscent indeed.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Bold prediction: Jadeveon Clowney will not be #1 overall, once he gets the national spotlight for a whole season draft experts will find something not to like. Next year sounds like a better year for QBs and will probably go #1 (Teddy Bridgewater?).
Originally posted by Jcool:
Bold prediction: Jadeveon Clowney will not be #1 overall, once he gets the national spotlight for a whole season draft experts will find something not to like. Next year sounds like a better year for QBs and will probably go #1 (Teddy Bridgewater?).

In the meantime Clowney is already 6'6" 275. If there was ever a snowball's chance in hell of the 49ers landing him, I imagine it would be a similar plan to Tank Carradine. Crush QBs while packing on a few pounds and becoming a 5-tech freak of nature.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Sammy Watkins or Clowney at the moment are the only ones I care about.

Marqise Lee is better than Watkins.
Originally posted by Jcool:

Barring injury or a team with an extreme need at QB drafting #1, there is no way Clowney doesn't go #1. He's had the national spotlight for a long time. He was the #1 overall recruit coming out of HS and was considered by many to be the best HS player in decades.

He has elite measurables and elite production at a position of high priority. He's 6'6", 272 and runs a 4.5. He'll be the most sought after defensive prospect in NFL history.