LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 252 users in the forums

Remaining Slot CB's

A couple more I like also:

Adrian Bushell CB Louisville 5'10" 190 - " good route anticipation and recognition, natural footwork and looks fluid in space, good speed, avg size "

Don Unamba CB Southern Arkansas 6'0" 200 - " press and zone coverage corner, quick feet, good hips, deceptive speed, good size and strength
BW Webb in the 4th or Steve Williams in he 6th
Jordan Poyer is my favorite CB left
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Here's the thing. We all say we want a slot corner because Rogers was hit or miss last year. But Rogers is still a Pro Bowl caliber player! Is it possible to upgrade over him? Yeah, probably if we addressed it in round 1 or 2. Can we really upgrade over Rogers with the dregs of the draft?

Plus if Nmamdi and Culliver project as the outside guys, we could easily try Brown more at slot this year.

Could you replace Carlos Rogers with Richard Sherman? Because Sherman was in the "dregs" of the draft. I'm just saying...you never know.

I'm personally a big fan of Hawthorne, I think he can be a starter in the NFL down the road, has the size and all the tools along with ridiculous speed. I also find Robey, in spite of his size, intriguing because he's got insane agility and quickness, really difficult to beat him on a double move.
Apparently Hawthorne has 4.31 speed. That's equal to Darius Slay as the fastest CB. Speed may be the biggest missing element in the Niner secondary. Hawthorne (or McGee) can help the team deal with Austin and Harvin for 25% of the Niners' game in a way that no one else on the team can. Hawthorne's weaknesses like getting turned around and run support may be irrelevant if he plays slot corner exclusively, say on passing downs.
I'm SHOCKED that we didn't address this need in the draft. Could have had Webb in the 4th. Could have had Poyer in the 6th!

This is my main criticism of the draft.
Originally posted by blm7754:
I'm SHOCKED that we didn't address this need in the draft. Could have had Webb in the 4th. Could have had Poyer in the 6th!

This is my main criticism of the draft.

I went back and forth on this as all the rounds were progressing. Once we missed the second round crop of talent (Jamar Taylor, Robert Alford), and once Mathieu got drafted, I started thinking it was completely unrealistic to expect a rookie to win a slot CB role with our team. One of Nmamdi, Culliver, Rogers, and Brown will handle it far better than a rookie would, IMHO.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I thought we would draft one but maybe we pick up some dude that gets cut in training camp
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Could you replace Carlos Rogers with Richard Sherman? Because Sherman was in the "dregs" of the draft. I'm just saying...you never know.

I'm personally a big fan of Hawthorne, I think he can be a starter in the NFL down the road, has the size and all the tools along with ridiculous speed. I also find Robey, in spite of his size, intriguing because he's got insane agility and quickness, really difficult to beat him on a double move.

Here is the thing about that, Seattle had no one so they could take a chance. I think Rogers will bounce back or NA will step it up/in. The other thing people are not taking into account that was brought by game analysts last year, is that the niners were not giving up the big plays in JH's first year, and that when they tried and forced the issue, a lot of T.O.'s resulted from sacks, fumbles to int., thus takeaways were down, so they were just getting rid of the ball quicker. Still we prevailed beause teams like the packers, pats and falcons had no run game also, teams that gave us trouble like the rams, vikings and seattle, and ravens had strong run games, so guys like Willis and Navarro had to keep in the box more. So the wr had more space to get free.

Also, Sherman was exposed a lot by the Falcons. More so than Rogers was in the playoffs. Get better pass rush, to create more pressure and t.o.s like the first year and our dbs will be okay.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Apparently Hawthorne has 4.31 speed. That's equal to Darius Slay as the fastest CB. Speed may be the biggest missing element in the Niner secondary. Hawthorne (or McGee) can help the team deal with Austin and Harvin for 25% of the Niners' game in a way that no one else on the team can. Hawthorne's weaknesses like getting turned around and run support may be irrelevant if he plays slot corner exclusively, say on passing downs.

Straight line speed without pads is one thing. It doesn't necessarily translate to football. How is his hips and recovery speed (three cone drill may help in the analysis-but still not infallable as a means to an end). His reaction, read recognition and eye hand body cordination is things that cannot be measured and only seen on tape.

A guy with speed but slow coming out of breaks and cuts is useless.
Share 49ersWebzone