LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 264 users in the forums

Remaining Slot CB's

Here are some remaining CB's that could play the slot which is something that a lot of people have expressed concern about. There are definitely some quality later round players that could work well for the 49ers.

B.W. Webb-William and Mary College-5'10, 184. 4.51 40. I'm honestly surprised Webb is still around but I see him as the top slot CB prospect with what's left. He's got better speed than Poyer, a very feisty player who plays the ball in the air very well, plays physically, can recover when beaten, overall a solid coverage guy. Terrific athlete and possesses a 40 inch vertical to help him break up passes. Has return ability as well. Played against lower level competition, also has a tendency to lose focus, is mediocre in press coverage.

Jordan Poyer-Oregon-6'0", 191. 4.54 40. Good size for the CB position, has been all over the place in the rankings during the offseason. Shows good agility and terrific hips for a bigger CB, not a sure-handed tackler, tends to lose the ball in the air at times, more of an outside corner than a slot guy but has shown the ability to play inside as well. Not a good leaper, very poor vertical, struggles to get up to contest passes.

Terry Hawthorne-Illinois-6'0", 195. 4.31 40. This is my favorite candidate for CB of who is still left. He's a very high quality cover guy that shut down some top WR's. He has very good size for the position but has the speed to keep up with the faster WR's. He plays very physically, hits hard like a safety and is terrific in press coverage. He's someone who can develop into a starting outside CB in the NFL. In terms of the negatives, he tends to get turned around, looses track of the ball, goes for the big hit instead of smartly wrapping up at times and he has inconsistent hands when it comes to securing would-be interceptions....AKA...."Carlos Rogers Disease." Suffered from a concussion this past season.

Brandon McGee-Miami-5'11", 193. 4.40 40. An appealing prospect with good speed and decent size. Plays very aggressively with a lot of feistyness, hits hard, can play press coverage well, shows good agility and outstanding footwork. Average recovery speed, has a tendency to overcommit, get turned around and give up a big play from time to time, but really uses his strength well to knock around small receivers, questionable whether he can ever be a full-time starter in the NFL, loses track of the ball in the air. His aggressiveness can be a negative as he'll definitely get called for PI's regularly at the next level with his style of play.

Steve Williams-Cal-5'9", 180. 4.42 40. Smaller CB who's definitely limited to being a slot CB at the next level. Smart player with terrific footwork and great hips, has both the speed and quickness to stick with shiftier slot WR's. Outstanding at playing the ball in the air and breaking up passes. Plays with a feisty mentality, uses his body well to get between the ball and the WR, shows good recovery speed. Sloppy tackler at times, gets lazy, doesn't always seem to play at maximum effort. Allows himself to get visibly frustrated and makes mistakes as a result.

Nickell Robey-USC-5'7", 169. 4.53 40(ran a 4.4 at his Pro Day). Very small defensive back, shows extreme quickness and agility, very fluid, quick to move his hips, great change of direction ability, decent recovery speed. Great at playing the ball in the air and has good leaping ability to knock passes away. On the other hand, he's incredibly tiny....5'7" and 169 pounds makes him smaller than the small slot receivers he'd be defending. He tries to play physically but gets outmuscled at times, not a sure tackler as he lacks the strength to really take down bigger receivers and tight-ends if his technique isn't perfect...struggles to contain the run.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:55 PM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Draft someone to get Brock off this team
Originally posted by teeohh:

this!!
Brown will cover the slot this season IMO. Im not a huge fan of any of the remaining CB's but out of them i would probably choose poyer or webb.
Here's the thing. We all say we want a slot corner because Rogers was hit or miss last year. But Rogers is still a Pro Bowl caliber player! Is it possible to upgrade over him? Yeah, probably if we addressed it in round 1 or 2. Can we really upgrade over Rogers with the dregs of the draft?

Plus if Nmamdi and Culliver project as the outside guys, we could easily try Brown more at slot this year.
Originally posted by teeohh:

Starting to think we don't address CB until 6th or 7th since we haven't addressed it already. Get one lottery ticket CB this year to be 6th on the roster or practice squad. Address CB for real in next year's draft.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Here's the thing. We all say we want a slot corner because Rogers was hit or miss last year. But Rogers is still a Pro Bowl caliber player! Is it possible to upgrade over him? Yeah, probably if we addressed it in round 1 or 2. Can we really upgrade over Rogers with the dregs of the draft?

Plus if Nmamdi and Culliver project as the outside guys, we could easily try Brown more at slot this year.

Could you replace Carlos Rogers with Richard Sherman? Because Sherman was in the "dregs" of the draft. I'm just saying...you never know.

I'm personally a big fan of Hawthorne, I think he can be a starter in the NFL down the road, has the size and all the tools along with ridiculous speed. I also find Robey, in spite of his size, intriguing because he's got insane agility and quickness, really difficult to beat him on a double move.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM ]
Starting to think we don't address CB until 6th or 7th since we haven't addressed it already. Get one lottery ticket CB this year to be 6th on the roster or practice squad. Address CB for real in next year's draft.

I think it comes down to the fact that Harbaugh and Baalkie both really like culliver, Baalkie especially. Then you add in Nhamdi, still have Rogers and Brown, and i simply think they like what they have, and possibly werent sold on the talent at CB in this draft. It was/is a pretty flat CB class.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Could you replace Carlos Rogers with Richard Sherman? Because Sherman was in the "dregs" of the draft. I'm just saying...you never know.

I'm personally a big fan of Hawthorne, I think he can be a starter in the NFL down the road, has the size and all the tools along with ridiculous speed. I also find Robey, in spite of his size, intriguing because he's got insane agility and quickness, really difficult to beat him on a double move.

I love you bringing up the names because some of your guys are probably available in 6th or 7th. That's what we need. Either a height/weight/speed guy with upside or a small guy who could carve out a niche role.

I doubt we'll be players for Poyer or Webb at this point. Rather use our picks to trade up for Jesse Williams or stay put and get BPA at OT, WR, S, etc.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I think it comes down to the fact that Harbaugh and Baalkie both really like culliver, Baalkie especially. Then you add in Nhamdi, still have Rogers and Brown, and i simply think they like what they have, and possibly werent sold on the talent at CB in this draft. It was/is a pretty flat CB class.

I still think they draft at least one CB, there's more sleeper prospects out there that I didn't mention, but plenty of intriguing smaller school or undersized CB's......
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I still think they draft at least one CB, there's more sleeper prospects out there that I didn't mention, but plenty of intriguing smaller school or undersized CB's......

Oh yea, im not saying they wont, i mean thats why it seems like they werent interested in anybody in the first two days.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'd like to add Mike Edwards 5'9" 190 pounds (Hawaii), 15 passes defensed 2 ints and is a decent KR. If hes there in the 6th or 7th rounds why not.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I'd like to add Mike Edwards 5'9" 190 pounds (Hawaii), 15 passes defensed 2 ints and is a decent KR. If hes there in the 6th or 7th rounds why not.

He's one of my sleeper picks, along with Brodrick Brown, Demontre Hurst, Deveron Carr and Tony "Deaf Revis" Tatum.
Would like to get a H/W/S guy who can return/special teams/jack-of-trades player we can develop
Share 49ersWebzone