LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

It's Eagle-fleecing time!

What do we know? We know the Raiders seriously considered Geno at 3 and 12. They now loom at 42. We know the Jets are rumored to be interested in trading up for Geno as of today. Finally, we know Chip Kelly hasn't gotten to hand-pick a QB yet, and we know Geno Smith is a perfect fit for his team.

We use the Jets and Raiders as leverage, and we extract an extra pick from Philadelphia to swap down to 35. In effect, we get something for nothing, as we don't lose a single player on our board.

What pick could we get? 101 in the early 4th?
Don't forget, teams are just as likely to trade with the Jaguars because they are anticipating teams trading with us. Trading with the Jaguars is the only way to guarantee they get their man.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
What do we know? We know the Raiders seriously considered Geno at 3 and 12. They now loom at 42. We know the Jets are rumored to be interested in trading up for Geno as of today. Finally, we know Chip Kelly hasn't gotten to hand-pick a QB yet, and we know Geno Smith is a perfect fit for his team.

We use the Jets and Raiders as leverage, and we extract an extra pick from Philadelphia to swap down to 35. In effect, we get something for nothing, as we don't lose a single player on our board.

That would be cool. Kelly might be fine with either Nassib or Smith, or the Jags could screw us by taking Geno ahead of us (no one actually likes Gabbert)
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Don't forget, teams are just as likely to trade with the Jaguars because they are anticipating teams trading with us. Trading with the Jaguars is the only way to guarantee they get their man.

No doubt. But the Jaguars are weirdly linked to Johnthan Banks at 33 right now and no team has traded out of 33 in the last three years.
Not convinced Geno is a perfect fit for the Eagles. Kelly's teams have almost always featured QBs who can run. Geno Smith, despite his 40 time, has never been much of a runner. Didn't even crack 400 yards at WVU for his career.

It seems the QB-needy teams are in no rush to move on one. There are still plenty of them available and next year's crop is way better and deeper.

Who knows, though.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Not convinced Geno is a perfect fit for the Eagles. Kelly's teams have almost always featured QBs who can run. Geno Smith, despite his 40 time, has never been much of a runner. Didn't even crack 400 yards at WVU for his career.

It seems the QB-needy teams are in no rush to move on one. There are still plenty of them available and next year's crop is way better and deeper.

Who knows, though.

True. Devil's advocate might say the Eagles will wait for Matt Scott at 67 in the 3rd round.

I think a trade down will happen. There are too many good players on the board that would help the Niners....too many to list. Look for the Niners to make the trade but the extra pick will in next years draft.

You gotta figure two of the QBs and Lacy will come off early in the second round and that pushes a ton of good guys to us if we do trade!!! Imagine getting Short and Taylor in second round and then Kelce or Escobar in the 3rd?
[ Edited by pete98146 on Apr 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM ]
True. Devil's advocate might say the Eagles will wait for Matt Scott at 67 in the 3rd round.

I thought the same thing
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I think it's also likely that Baalke stays at #34 knowing Tom Gamble will be targeting the same players he is.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I think it's also likely that Baalke stays at #34 knowing Tom Gamble will be targeting the same players he is.

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by FL9er:

Seriously. I forgot all about that guy. Well, he probably knows who we want, at least
I say trade down with Oakland and get their 4th rounder, use that to trade back up into the 3rd again.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I say trade down with Oakland and get their 4th rounder, use that to trade back up into the 3rd again.

If Baalke is really this good at extracting pick value in trades (see: fleecing Cowboys), the Raiders should be an easy mark. They are a desperate franchise, Geno Smith is a hot prospect, and frankly the Raiders and SF hate each other, so they'll have to pay the crosstown premium if they want their guy. We're fine staying put.
If Baalke is really this good at extracting pick value in trades (see: fleecing Cowboys), the Raiders should be an easy mark. They are a desperate franchise, Geno Smith is a hot prospect, and frankly the Raiders and SF hate each other, so they'll have to pay the crosstown premium if they want their guy. We're fine staying put.

True, but if Jacksonville indeed takes Banks as is being reported, 49ers will have some very nice trade down offers coming at them. Teams have sat around all night mulling Geno possibilities and the more they've considered it, the more committed they've become and because he's a potential franchise QB, the 49ers could extract some above-value-chart compensation. When the 49ers traded up for Kaepernick it cost them a 2nd, 4th and 5th rounder. If the 49ers could get a 4th and a 6th this year and a 4th next year, I'd be psyched.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

True, but if Jacksonville indeed takes Banks as is being reported, 49ers will have some very nice trade down offers coming at them. Teams have sat around all night mulling Geno possibilities and the more they've considered it, the more committed they've become and because he's a potential franchise QB, the 49ers could extract some above-value-chart compensation. When the 49ers traded up for Kaepernick it cost them a 2nd, 4th and 5th rounder. If the 49ers could get a 4th and a 6th this year and a 4th next year, I'd be psyched.

I agree with you 100%. When I said "we're fine staying out" I meant that's our negotiating posture. All about leverage.
Share 49ersWebzone