There are 186 users in the forums

What is unusual with the Reid selection.................

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
What were they smoking on in the Cowboys war-room. Trade down....to select Frederick in the late 1st? Really? They could have traded down once more and still gotten him.

I was skyping during the draft with my brother who is a cowboys fan, the had the war room up and he said garrett walked out of the room pissed at Jones. He said the speculation was that Garrett was pissed about the value they got and wanted to stay put. They also said another team had a better offer than us and backed out last minute and Jones panicked. They don't work together like our guys. It's a mess in there. He tells me all the time about Jones and how most of the die hard fans have turned on him. Just a few rose colored glasses fans left. They are a mess and in .500 limbo. I think it's becoming wide knowledge with all the fans around the nfl about Jones and how he has been running things. He won't step down and get out of the way and do what's best for the team.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE PICK!!!!!

I laugh my ass off when people say he would've been available at the 31st pick!! ........

Didn't really look but who were the other possible options to take him? Dallas was one that needs a FS and they passed (although dont put much stock in that circus). Not asking because I question the pick (I like it, we filled our biggest need) just curious.

Giants
Bengals
Rams
And Falcons could've been the Dark-horse

I'm starting to think the Bengals were a near lock to take him.
Good Pick, didn't give up much to get him. Still got a boat load of picks. Hunt, Carridine and Ertz still available at 34

It'll be interesting to see if any team is interested in trading up for a one of the Qb's left. Don't think anyone would be against snagging a #1 nest year for this year's 34
I was skyping during the draft with my brother who is a cowboys fan, the had the war room up and he said garrett walked out of the room pissed at Jones. He said the speculation was that Garrett was pissed about the value they got and wanted to stay put. They also said another team had a better offer than us and backed out last minute and Jones panicked. They don't work together like our guys. It's a mess in there. He tells me all the time about Jones and how most of the die hard fans have turned on him. Just a few rose colored glasses fans left. They are a mess and in .500 limbo. I think it's becoming wide knowledge with all the fans around the nfl about Jones and how he has been running things. He won't step down and get out of the way and do what's best for the team.

Pretty interesting if that's true. What a horrible pick/move by the Cowboys. Couldn't believe they didn't at least as for a 2nd this year or or 2nd next year
Originally posted by mutant-man49:

Pretty interesting if that's true. What a horrible pick/move by the Cowboys. Couldn't believe they didn't at least as for a 2nd this year or or 2nd next year

"The Fan reporting that the Cowboys had a different trade-down in place that offered much better value than SF. The other team pulled out and apparently Jerry panicked. Garrett wanted to stand firm and take BPA, but Jerry made the SF trade, which offered poor value, especially compared to the initial trade agreement. Garret and Ciscowski were pissed. Jerry and Stephen left the room."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/videos/ yeah, seems like things are running smoothly for their front office, what a mess. Jones sounds drunk. lol

sorry to derail the thread.
These players from the SEC, especially Alabama and LSU are playing as close to the NFL as you can get. The practices alone get the players ready for the next level. A player such as Eric Reid has played against top flight receivers.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I know the brass is high on mathieu. So maybe getting reid could help honey badger stay in line by having someone familiar here. With austin and harvon in the division. Honey badger would e NICE slot CB to have.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Even I wanted to go offensive side of the ball, Eric Reid was always my top safety pick. I am a fair guy, Dashon left and there was a huge need to fill this hole and I am just so very very glad that we got the Free Safety position sorted out. Of course different people will have different tastes in players, but out of all the safety tapes I watched, Reid was by far the only one that jumped out to me. To begin with, I always prefer bigger players and needless to say at 6'1" and 213 lbs, he fits the bill perfectly. As for his game, it is his physicality that seperates him from the pack.

So, after Day 1, I have to say I am pleasantly surprised and happy with the way things are going.
[ Edited by Rascal on Apr 26, 2013 at 4:40 AM ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Woodson would be a nice tutor

That is still what I am hoping for. Woodson as the safety net in case it takes Reid a bit to get up to speed.
I didn't come close to makeing that call.

In support of Reid, Charles Davis of the NFL Network has been one of his most ardent supporters.

He's a Niner now and we have the coaches to help him hit his peak.

Here's something I took from a magazine online.

Eric Reid, FS, LSU

Reid is perhaps the most physically impressive player in this draft class. Certainly the most physically impressive safety. Reid has all the talent in the world. He is extremely fast and strong, he hits very hard, he has decent instincts. The question with Reid is what type of player are you getting? Do you get the 2011 version of Reid where he looked like an early first round caliber player and a future all pro? or do you get the 2012 Reid who looked out of place and lost for most of the season last year? If you get the former, he could be the biggest steal in the draft, if you get the latter he will be a career special teamer and journeyman. Boom or Bust. As an example of how much disagreement there is in draft circles about Reid, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL network says he wouldn't take Reid until at least the mid second while Charles Davis, of the same network, would take him as high at 13 to the Buccaneers(as the top safety in the class). Jeremiah formerly worked for the Ravens.

i like reid but i thought his wife looked awfully young when she accompanied him on the podium
What is unusual about it is that we had to trade up to get him. Not that many safeties have been taken in the 1st round in the past 7-8 drafts. Most of them have either been busts or haven't performed up to expectations. I was thinking we would get Reid at 31 or 34.

But then again, I was also expecting more WRs and DL to be picked in round 1. Lots of options now at 34.
Wait Baalke & Harbaugh drafted a big, athletic, hard worker from the SEC, who happens to be very smart. Initially? Sadly, I swore they would not draft Reid.
This is Harbaugh's move. His draft crush. Baalke is about value and this move up wasn't. Let say Reid is the best safety bar none.

I'm still not happy. Why? Everything points to him being there at 31. If someone wanted to jump up and get a safety above #31, they certainly would have done so after the Niners jumped. No one else did. Those hot for safeties would have seen Vaccarro, Reid back to back as a run on safeties and would have moved up to get one. Baltimore didn't move. If you don't jump up with two of the best one's are gone, you certainly wouldn't have when only one was gone.

Bottom line this 2010 again (gave up 4th rounder to move up two spots for nothing). Panic move = Bad Drafting.

Let's look at tomorrow and see who gets drafted #74-#84. One of those guys should have been a Niner.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 26, 2013 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by AmpLee:
A lot of conjecture in this post.

Not sure whose comments is other than conjecture.
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone