There are 232 users in the forums

2013 NFL Draft MadDog's Big 254 Final Board

Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
big props to Mad Dog, 2nd year in a row I got too bogged down with work to finish mine

It was a push this year for me as well. Barely got through it, and not sure of the quality
Hey MD~

First, great job on the list. Many of your projections from 1-100 have already been scooped up. I had a question about your method of ranking players. I'm sure you do this but how much weight do you place on potential and how much weight do you place on where the player is at the time they are drafted? The player the Niners drafted in the third round (Corey Lemonier) for example seems to have a lot of athleticism and natural pass rushing ability but he is clearly very raw and probably not able to contribute much to an NFL team his rookie season.
In contrast, there are many players with less physical talent who are going to contribute significantly to a team in their first year. How do you sort out these variables?
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Hey MD~

First, great job on the list. Many of your projections from 1-100 have already been scooped up. I had a question about your method of ranking players. I'm sure you do this but how much weight do you place on potential and how much weight do you place on where the player is at the time they are drafted? The player the Niners drafted in the third round (Corey Lemonier) for example seems to have a lot of athleticism and natural pass rushing ability but he is clearly very raw and probably not able to contribute much to an NFL team his rookie season.
In contrast, there are many players with less physical talent who are going to contribute significantly to a team in their first year. How do you sort out these variables?

Teams have their own beliefs on a player's past performance versus upside. That is why a guy like Barrett Jones drops down so far in the draft. For him, many believe he has about hit his ceiling with little upside. Meanwhile, teams stare at a Dion Jordan, because the upside for him is unreal.

For me, I take each individuals with their own circumstances and assign a grade. Every player is under different circumstances which may positivelLy or negatively impact their performance/ stats in college. Pass happy teams a going to have overinflated numbers for QBs and WRs.

As for Lemonier, he is really a quick off the snap player. His ten yard split is terrific. And, he is a relentless pass rusher. Excellent work effort. The downside is that he is somewhat of a one trick pony. If he can't beat a guy around the corner, and the OT gets his hands on him, he is done. I also red flag his second half of the year production against better competition. He did very little. And His numbers dropped from thr year before. I had a mid fourth round grade On him. Good but not great pick
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 28, 2013 at 7:44 AM ]
Teams will also look at players say Lemonier and look what type of coaching staff they have and how much they trust the Dline coaches to be able to work with and mold to what they want from them.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Teams have their own beliefs on a player's past performance versus upside. That is why a guy like Barrett Jones drops down so far in the draft. For him, many believe he has about hit his ceiling with little upside. Meanwhile, teams stare at a Dion Jordan, because the upside for him is unreal.

For me, I take each individuals with their own circumstances and assign a grade. Every player is under different circumstances which may positivelLy or negatively impact their performance/ stats in college. Pass happy teams a going to have overinflated numbers for QBs and WRs.

As for Lemonier, he is really a quick off the snap player. His ten yard split is terrific. And, he is a relentless pass rusher. Excellent work effort. The downside is that he is somewhat of a one trick pony. If he can't beat a guy around the corner, and the OT gets his hands on him, he is done. I also red flag his second half of the year production against better competition. He did very little. And His numbers dropped from thr year before. I had a mid fourth round grade On him. Good but not great pick

Seems like he gets off his blocks well, good backside pursuit, can set up an inside move with his outside rush.
[ Edited by alburns on Apr 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Thanks for clarifying MD... As usual, your list of 254 is pretty darn accurate.

It's funny how the draft plays out...the Niners sign OT Marquardt as an UDFA (who you have at 166 and who is clearly a good "get" by the team) but DT Quinton Dial (who seems to be in line for a spot on their roster as depth across the D-line) isn't even on your list. What are your thoughts on Dial?

Cheers!
Going by your board MD, I see 6 of our picks in the top 108...not bad! So, figuring that represents about 3 and a half rounds...six picks in the top three rounds! Even better than the high picks would indicate.

Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Thanks for clarifying MD... As usual, your list of 254 is pretty darn accurate.

It's funny how the draft plays out...the Niners sign OT Marquardt as an UDFA (who you have at 166 and who is clearly a good "get" by the team) but DT Quinton Dial (who seems to be in line for a spot on their roster as depth across the D-line) isn't even on your list. What are your thoughts on Dial?

Cheers!

Really surprised Marquardt was not selected. When 20+ teams show up at your tiny school for Pro Day, you kind of expect a surge in the draft. I was dead wrong. My write-up on Dial is in my Draft Review Thread.
Share 49ersWebzone