There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bold Prediction! 49ers Trade OUT of the First Round

• Disp
  • Veteran
Why would they trade down? So they have 20 picks next year? We need solid players that can develop into starters this year or next since the team will probably have a fairly significant player purge after this season.
Originally posted by Disp:
Why would they trade down? So they have 20 picks next year? We need solid players that can develop into starters this year or next since the team will probably have a fairly significant player purge after this season.

They will trade for future draft picks most likely.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
They will trade for future draft picks most likely.

Well that's why I'm questioning it. The FO likely want the players who are taking over in 2014 on the roster this year. I'm sure we'll trade into the 2014 draft, but we've got a lot of roster spots coming up next year, and Baalke preaches about drafting for team needs 1-2 years down the line.
After we traded up
Originally posted by 21SandersMoss84:
Bold?? Replace the word "bold" with 'plausible.'

Plausible>Probable

• Trade back first (for more 2-3 round picks)
  • Trade lower picks (for more 2-3 round picks)
  • Trade for next year picks
[ Edited by OldJoe on Apr 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM ]
My bold predictions.

49ers stay put on 31st, 34th, and 61st.
49ers select Denard Robinson on the 4th round
Originally posted by Disp:

Hell yeah! I want 20 picks in the draft. Could you imagine how much clout that is to do whatever we want. We have the front office and scouts to target certain goldstar players and other teams would be calling with opportunities to trades in every scenario possible.

Picks are what every team wants every year. Its like money to buy what you want. The more you have, the more you can buy... and the more you can do with it.
Originally posted by MrCrab49ers:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I think all the "move up" buzz is obfuscation. I think the 49ers will trade out of the first and go with the middle of the draft where it is the strongest and select 6 to 7 players all within the first 4 rounds.

Thoughts?

We don't need to trade to get 6-7 players in the first 4 rounds. We already have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. But I would be down to trade back out of the first round and try and get 6-8 guys in rounds 2-3.

Figure you trade 31 for a 2nd and 3rd. Now you have 3 2nds and 3 3rds, then you can trade the 2 4ths for a 3rd. Now you have 7 picks in rounds 2-3.

7 potential future starters right there son.

Can't trade the extra 4th but I love the line of thinking presented here. We can get a quality FS, SS, CB (basically a totally revamped secondary that should be ready to go by 2014/2015), a WR as insurance in case Crabtree's price is too high or as a complement to Crabtree should he stay on, a NT of the future, TE, and maybe a swing tackle?

Do the 49ers even have that much space in their roster to carry all those draft picks? The need now are DL and Safety. Yes, another TE is needed too. Remember, 49ers still those rookies that were hurt last year. I say they pick 4 solid players to play now.

In this situation we'd draft 7 guys in rounds 2-3 and that would be our draft. The later picks can just be traded for picks next year or draft guys to possibly compete for a spot on the roster or practice squad. Out of the 7 guys that we would draft in rounds 2-3 we'd probably only have one be an instant starter (The free safety), while having a couple others as situational players in their first year (NT, DE/OLB), with the rest of the picks being groomed as future starters or 2nd stringers (WR, CB, TE, RB).
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
I can see this happening, waiting all night for the 49ers to make there pick and then at the last minute they trade back and we will have to wait till Friday to make there pick lol
Check it, the Niners can trade up, "draft crush" or whatever, and get a player the FO feels is rtp NOW! Or, they can sit where they are and pick for value (and of course, package and trade some of their other picks to move around and get picks for next year).OR, move down in the draft, get picks for next year AND draft some hidden gems. Also, if they DID somehow come up with 20 picks for next year, some of those picks can be used for FA's who are looking join a multiple SB winning team. Stay tuned! same Niner time, same Niner station!
Originally posted by jimrat:
I can see this happening, waiting all night for the 49ers to make there pick and then at the last minute they trade back and we will have to wait till Friday to make there pick lol

my emotions if that happened.
My bold prediction is the 49ers will have as many or more picks next year.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
i boldly agree to disagree
Only trade out I'd be happy with is a future first plus maybe another to go with. We don't need more picks this draft. We can't even carry half on the team.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Plausible>Probable

• Trade back first (for more 2-3 round picks)
  • Trade lower picks (for more 2-3 round picks)
  • Trade for next year picks

"Probable" is much bolder than plausible, but plausible is more likely than probable.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home