LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 137 users in the forums

31/34 starting to look like DL/CB to me

I'm not feeling the safety position at those spots. I'm starting to think Vaccaro and Cyprien will both be gone and I'm not wild about Reid or Elam. A guy like Thomas or Evans or Swearinger later makes more sense.

Meanwhile, everything seems to be aligning at DL and CB. Here are the prospects from which I expect us to take the best remaining player available who slides to the bottom of the first round:

CB:
Desmond Trufant
DJ Hayden
Jamar Taylor

DL:
Datone Jones
Tank Carradine
Sylvester Williams
Jesse Williams
You've read my mind. I too have a feeling they'll be looking for a starting CB for 2014 and address the DL rotation for 2013.
what makes you think that it's aligning to be a DL and CB draft? How about OLB or WR?
I hope the hype on Hayden doesn't get him drafted in the top half of the draft I want him bad
Originally posted by pdizo916:
what makes you think that it's aligning to be a DL and CB draft? How about OLB or WR?

I see both as secondary needs. With our first five picks in in the top 93, I expect DL, DL, CB, FS, and TE in some order. OLB and WR in round 4 or later unless someone surprisingly drops (I think we'd pull the trigger on Cordarrelle Patterson).
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

I see both as secondary needs. With our first five picks in in the top 93, I expect DL, DL, CB, FS, and TE in some order. OLB and WR in round 4 or later unless someone surprisingly drops (I think we'd pull the trigger on Cordarrelle Patterson).

if we do draft a CB, who do we get rid of: Rogers, culliver, nnamdi, Brown, or cox? Or do you think we would keep 6 corners and 4 safeties?
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

if we do draft a CB, who do we get rid of: Rogers, culliver, nnamdi, Brown, or cox? Or do you think we would keep 6 corners and 4 safeties?

The current CB logjam is an issue, but shockingly few of our 2013 corners project as long-term answers, so we need some real talent. I think we'll go CB high this year and then again next year with Rogers getting cut in 2014 and Nmamdi and Brown possibly moving on.
Might even add Werner and Okafor as potential DEs.
I agree 100% that we take a CB early this year. What was it that Baalke called it? Drafting "prior to need?" Smart concept to employ, especially in this instance because after this season, I could see only Culliver still on the team with us letting Nnamdi sign somewhere else, let TB walk and cut Rogers. This is Cox's last year too. Brock won't ever be anything more than a dime CB and ST guy.
I'm thinking DL and then Safety.

Originally posted by EezyNiner:
I agree 100% that we take a CB early this year. What was it that Baalke called it? Drafting "prior to need?" Smart concept to employ, especially in this instance because after this season, I could see only Culliver still on the team with us letting Nnamdi sign somewhere else, let TB walk and cut Rogers. This is Cox's last year too. Brock won't ever be anything more than a dime CB and ST guy.

Brown will probably walk because he should get big $$. I agree Rogers will be cut.

Nmamdi could end up being the guy that sticks around. If he proves this year that his Philly years were the aberration and he's still a solid press corner, he could have several good years left for us and he seems to want to stay in the Bay Area on a contender.

2014 and beyond: Culliver, Nmamdi, Hayden/Taylor/Trufant.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I'm thinking DL and then Safety.

I agree safety if the team is high on Eric Reid. He's a polarizing prospect and their interest in him might be a smokescreen of some kind. If Cyprien is gone it would make more sense to wait for Phillip Thomas, imho.
Agree.

I think Safety is the next most likely depending how much Harbaaalke like a guy like Cyprien or Elam.

After that, TE. Then OLB and WR.
I love the idea of taking a CB and FS at 31 and 34 but if Datone, Jesse Williams, Sly Williams or Tank are still there, it'd be tough to pass up on them. I think we should go for Swearinger in the 3rd or Shamarko Thomas around the 4th or 5th.
A man with a defense plan I like cause I'm thinking tha same our defense need youth N soon to be new/next yr starters...
Share 49ersWebzone