There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should I keep PigskinProspects.com or move draft info to NinerCapHell?

Should I keep PigskinProspects.com or move draft info to NinerCapHell?

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
http://pigskinprospects.com/2013-jasons-big-board/

I added in some info, just a few sentences for the top 100, how does that look.

Really nice layout! Very clean and easy to read with all the info the average fan wants. In the first analysis you need to change abd to and? Just point it our as it's the first thing folks are likely to read.

AB...I think you have a really nice talent for this. Compared to many of the professionally supported sites (big bucks and wall to wall ads) your colors are better, your layout is more reader friendly and less cluttered. I tend to be a minimalist by nature so not sure how seriously you should take my opinion. And the big sites tend to want to link every word, which is overkill.

Thanks for all your work, many of us appreciate reading your sites. Pigskin hasn't been up very long so word of mouth hasn't taken affect.

What do you think of the idea of the way I have the big board listed with analysis next to them? I can always write more up, it's the spacing that gets messed up. I use excel to copy and paste.

How many really want the same information over and over? I guess if you want that info, buy a magazine? I can't find my niche in the draft world. I know cap work, that's my thing. I am no where near MadDogg's level of knowing these prospects in and out. I don't want to go through 4 different draft guides, and go over the players and pretend to know that this player is better than that one based on the guide, or what ESPN or NFL network says.
The analysis on the side looks good, and easy to read. I understand your dilemma! As much as I read about prospects it's nothing compared to what I would be doing if I were employed to do so. Teams have scouts who know HS and College coaches, talk to family members, etc. So they really have a lot of data to go by. Perhaps you could narrow your comment section down to a couple of things that could be consistent from player to player? I like college performance stats best.

Still think you might want to turn your site into a blog for others who want to do the scouting thing. Blog in the sense that you could still control the pages but allow others to have there own area (page) to post. Maddog might be interested in having a page, as Oldman does.

As for going through four draft guides--it doesn't help! I currently have four guides and the scouting reports just don't add up in most cases. So I guess when the do add up we can assume they are fairly accurate, then say there are questions about the rest? In most cases I read the "Pro" section and think..."Wow, they should take this guy." Then I read the "Con" side and think, "No way! This guy is a problem." Not helpful!
I enjoyed reading all of your position analysis
Originally posted by NTeply49:
I enjoyed reading all of your position analysis

Thanks man. Any ideas or suggestions for articles leading up to Thursday?
  • buck
  • Veteran
Get rid of this sentence

Everything great about Football is here!!!

First, it is not true.
Second, I just did a Google search for that sentence, and your site was not on the first page of hits. In fact, none of hits on the first page were about the draft.

change for a line that includes words a search engine will pick up

Explore NFL Draft Prospects with those words every hit on the first page was about the NFL draft.

Change Mocks to Mock Drafts. I did a search with goggle for Mocks, again no nfl draft hits on the first page.

Change Needs to Team Needs

here is a link to search engine optimization (SEO) article that might be useful

http://www.webconfs.com/15-minute-seo.php

Here is another linke

Free SEO vs Paid SEM

http://www.webconfs.com/seo-vs-sem-article-52.php
[ Edited by buck on Apr 20, 2013 at 12:18 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
1. 10 Ways to Get Traffic for Free

http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-get-traffic-article-30.php

2. Get Traffic Free How to Get Website Traffic Tutorial

http://www.2makeawebsite.com/get-traffic/

I suggest you keep the sites separate.

BTW, your poll makes no sense.

If you ask should I x or y the answers should be

1. X
2. Y

If you ask should I X, the answers should be

1. Yes
2. No.

[ Edited by buck on Apr 20, 2013 at 12:49 AM ]
Thanks Buck, I changed the site slogan, and the Mocks and Needs to what you suggested.

Any ideas on what I should do from now until draft weekend?
[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Thanks Buck, I changed the site slogan, and the Mocks and Needs to what you suggested.

Relax. Websites take time. Do not make any major changes without more research and study. If it takes time, it takes time.

The draft takes three days. Update the page after each day. Plan these updates now, in the next four days.

After the first day, write a summary, include information on trades, surprises, and some analysis.

Do the same after the second day.

After the third day, do an short article that covers each team's draft.
Organize it by conference and division. Give grades to each team.

You might think about posting two or three polls. Best Trade, Biggest Reach, Best Draft.

good luck and have fun.
Here's my thing, I suck at the draft prospects period. I can't figure out how to get more viewers, because basically the content is the same as other sites. It's tough to maintain a website which I depend on others to help. It isn't fair to them, they have jobs, so I don't ask and ask and ask for content.

I have members at NCH, but most are like me, don't know a lot about draft prospects.

And having salaries on one site, when OverTheCap does it so much better makes it pointless. So I think the best is to focus on 49ers draft plans, and 49ers salaries, etc....

I do Internet Marketing for a living, so I have a good in-site on what you are going through.

To be honest it really depends on your end goal for the site.

Are you just doing this for fun?

Are you trying to make money?

If you want to send me a private message I could give you some advice on getting traffic etc.
Originally posted by buck:

Relax. Websites take time. Do not make any major changes without more research and study. If it takes time, it takes time.

The draft takes three days. Update the page after each day. Plan these updates now, in the next four days.

After the first day, write a summary, include information on trades, surprises, and some analysis.

Do the same after the second day.

After the third day, do an short article that covers each team's draft.
Organize it by conference and division. Give grades to each team.

You might think about posting two or three polls. Best Trade, Biggest Reach, Best Draft.

good luck and have fun.

I plan on updating my draft tracker as picks are made. I like the after each day, make a write up of each day.
As for your cap info, it could be so much more than what it is currently. You have a great grasp on something that's very complex and that not a lot of football fans know about. There aren't a whole lot of "fan friendly" cap sites out there. That could be one of your niches!

Instead of just having a bunch of numbers, how about writing articles/tutorials about various aspects of cap management? How about an article about "signing bonuses" and how those work with the cap. You could write about "incentives" and explain how that stuff works. You could break down deals that have interesting things going on with the way they are structured. Or make a case study of a team that has exemplary cap management year in and year out and explain how that team goes about it. A semi-regular Q&A/mailbag section where readers could ask the "Capologist" questions. These are ideas just off the top of my head. My point is that salary cap management is really a chess game/puzzle/sudoku/(other similar metaphors) yet there isn't really a site targeted towards "non math nerds" about this out there.

I also liked Krizays idea about making a NFCW centered focused website. And also the guest blog idea.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart to everyone who has supported my websites, I made my decision to keep both separate. I am in talks to bring on board two new writers from NinersNation, which I write for. Nothing is set in stone, so wish me luck.

I decided to keep working on PPs for the fun part of it. My passion is nfl salary cap, and that's what I am looking to get into. The draft is an extra fun hobby so to speak.
One more thing, should I make a different template for each site, so 1 for NCH and 1 for PPs? Something different.
My draft grades have been posted.

http://pigskinprospects.com/?s=draft+grades
Cap hell buddy