LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 339 users in the forums

The more I look at the draft, the more trading down out of the 1st seems to make sense.

Most of the depth in this draft is between the 2nd and 4th rounds. If the 49ers can move down into the early to mid second, pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick, that could easily turn into another potentially productive player. I can see quite a few top prospects falling through the cracks and it would really be nice to have an extra pick or two to allow them to move up from the 4th into the 3rd or from the late 3rd into the mid or early 3rd round, just to have some more flexibility. I could see them trading some of the later picks away even, but if they can add 5 or 6 high quality prospects through the first 3 rounds, I think that would be absolutely awesome. They can add gain needed depth at safety, defensive line, wide receiver and tight end......with the remaining picks basically, more or less, luxury picks.

I think there will be a run on QB's in the late 1st round and the 49ers are in prime position to move down with someone like the Jets who will likely be looking at a quarterback and will be interested in moving up to secure their particular prospect of interest...as well as to lock them down for 5 years at a very affordable salary.

To me trading down means being able to add one more player at least, a guy like Duke Williams, Josh Evans, Terry Hawthorne, Jordan Mills, Will Davis and others.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM ]
Have to see how the board unfolds, but I don't suspect there would be reason to trade back from 31. Likely will be a very good prospect that falls to us there. I agree that the 2nd round is juicy, but so should be the late 1st rd. So land ad many picks as we can get between 31 and 75... or 31 and 50. We can easily get 3 top-notch prospects in the top 50 range. The remaining picks are added to compete for upgraded depth... something like that.
As long as we can come away with a starting FS who won't be a weak spot I am fine with it. If they want to give up 31 or 34 for a 1st next year (maybe even more) or even if we go from 31/34 to mid 2nd and pick up another 3rd out of it I am good with that too. I think the draft is deepest in rounds 2-4 like you said. Not really top heavy and the to me not much of a drop off from mid/late 1st to the 2nd round. I have no problem bundling 2 or 3 picks from rounds 4-7 to move up in each round. So if people will take it our late 4 and late 5 to move up to early or mid 4. I have no problem if we want to trade picks completely so a 5th this year for a 4th next. A 6th this year for a 5th next, etc. I think we have a 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (colin jones), 7 as of now if Alex pans out. Hopefully we get at least a late 3rd for Goldson in comp. I know we lost as many as we gained but the guys we lost should outweigh the guys we gained.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM ]
You are right. The fan in me wants to see a first round pick for the excitement. But the logical side of me realizes that this draft is better in the middle than the beginning. Plus the talent pool next year will be even more explosive. Marquis lee and De'Anthony Thomas or maybe jadeveon clowney

we can trade our 31 and 34 for a 1st rounder next year and a mid 2nd rounder
I'd be down to trade out of the first and also trade our 5th and couple 6ths to get back into the 4th round. Stock pile like 8-9 picks in rounds 2-4 and come away with 8 -9 solid ass players.
I agree with you that we should trade down, but who knows what Trent Baalke has up his sleeve for this draft. To me, the first round doesn't have any home-run picks that might be available when we pick at 31. I'd love to get Eifert (I'm a Notre Dame fan and he's also from my home town), but he won't fall to us, and I believe the only way to get him will be to trade up. That begs the question of what does Baalke believe will benefit this team most: a defensive player or an offensive player? I watched all of Notre Dame's games this year and Eifert is a complete player. He can run block, run routes well, catch in traffic, come up big in the clutch, and creates matchup problems for defenses.

I believe if we get Eifert, we can split either him or Vernon out wide when we run two tight end sets and that will just kill a defense. We can grab a wide receiver later on and use the rest of our early round picks on defensive line and safety.

The only other player I'd like to get in the first round is the defensive lineman from Missouri (his name escapes me at the moment). Otherwise, I'm with you on trading back and stockpiling picks for the future.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Originally posted by dankmeistr:
The only other player I'd like to get in the first round is the defensive lineman from Missouri (his name escapes me at the moment). Otherwise, I'm with you on trading back and stockpiling picks for the future.

Sheldon Richardson

I am in the same boat. Not a whole lot of guys at 31 or 34 to me that I couldn't pass up. I think there will be guys in the 40s and 50s that I would like just as much. I like Eifert and Ertz but I'd probably wait until 61 or 74 to get a TE. Richardson I don't think we could pass on. D Jones, J Williams, Cyprien, etc I think are solid but I'm not really fully sold on anyone at 31/34. And part of the reason is I don't think we need to go CB or OLB at 31/34. I have it narrowed down to FS or DE and to me nobody is jumping out as a must take at those positions. That's my thinking; I am sure Baalke and company have many guys in mind and they aren't narrowing it down to 2 positions. If we do trade down 31 and 34 are prime spots. End of 1st, beginning of day 2 (2nd round) there should be teams calling for QB's and guys who fell that they want to jump on. Always, a desperate team that gives up too much to the good teams like NE. So we should be waiting for a phone call at the end of round 1 and beginning of day 2. I'd at least see what teams are offering before making our pick. Also, another thing there is only 2 teams in between 31 and 34 so we get a call for a trade... hi this is ___ we want 31, we ask who are you taking.... ____ ok, we don't want him anyways so we go for it if we are confident teams 32 and 33 won't take the player we want. Even if we go down into the late 30s or early 40s and get an early to mid 4th out of it. We still get our target at 34 and pick up an extra 4.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM ]
I think one of the keys to how we draft and move begins with the Rams who have two picks and those that follow. They need a Safety, RB and wr.
16 St. Louis
17 Pittsburgh
18 Dallas
19 New York Giants
20 Chicago
21 Cincinnati
22 St. Louis (from Washington)

Supposedly, these teams except the Giants and Chicago have seriously looked at Vaccaro, so are they all looking simply because V or because they need a safety? If the later could that start a run at the position.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Have to see how the board unfolds, but I don't suspect there would be reason to trade back from 31. Likely will be a very good prospect that falls to us there. I agree that the 2nd round is juicy, but so should be the late 1st rd. So land ad many picks as we can get between 31 and 75... or 31 and 50. We can easily get 3 top-notch prospects in the top 50 range. The remaining picks are added to compete for upgraded depth... something like that.

Agree Mac and believe they would be better off to trade up into the second and third for an additional pick. If they had six picks in the first three rounds it would be an even more exciting draft than I already imagine it to be. Next best bet would be to trade later picks for higher future ones.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Most of the depth in this draft is between the 2nd and 4th rounds. If the 49ers can move down into the early to mid second, pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick, that could easily turn into another potentially productive player. I can see quite a few top prospects falling through the cracks and it would really be nice to have an extra pick or two to allow them to move up from the 4th into the 3rd or from the late 3rd into the mid or early 3rd round, just to have some more flexibility. I could see them trading some of the later picks away even, but if they can add 5 or 6 high quality prospects through the first 3 rounds, I think that would be absolutely awesome. They can add gain needed depth at safety, defensive line, wide receiver and tight end......with the remaining picks basically, more or less, luxury picks.

I think there will be a run on QB's in the late 1st round and the 49ers are in prime position to move down with someone like the Jets who will likely be looking at a quarterback and will be interested in moving up to secure their particular prospect of interest...as well as to lock them down for 5 years at a very affordable salary.

To me trading down means being able to add one more player at least, a guy like Duke Williams, Josh Evans, Terry Hawthorne, Jordan Mills, Will Davis and others.

Totally agree. If they can trade back to the early first and get a need player all the power to them.

I agree I feel we should trade down for future picks in next years draft. We have a boatload and I also feel this draft is very even from pick 10 through pick 50 I feel there isn't a major dropoff of talent so if the 9ers did trade down it wouldn't bother.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I don't see any reason for trading out of the 1st for more picks in the 2nd through 4th. If we trade out of the first, I would expect it to be for future year picks. We already have 5 in the top 3 for this draft, and 13 overall. Getting even more picks this year won't help us.
The 31st pick is one of the best 2nd round picks in this years draft.
I'd be surprised if the team stays at both 31 and 34. Got a feeling the team wouldn't mind moving down six=eight slots, and picking up a future third rounder in 2014 in the process. The players from 31-75 are all about the same to me.
I wouldn't be shocked if we flip #31 or #34 for a 2014 first rounder and a 3rd rounder or something like that.
Share 49ersWebzone