There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Quality over quantity draft...with explanations

Looking at the roster it is easy to see what our needs are. I think Glen Dorsey will be used as a DE to spell McDonald and Smith on running downs to keep them fresh on passing downs. I don't see him as a NT unless it's a few snaps a game. I think we take a NT high. We can choose to trade up to 22-24 to get Sylvester Williams or we can take Jesse Williams or John Jenkins later on. I prefer Jesse Williams. He is a perfect 1 gap NT who is as strong as a bull. Plus, he gives 110% effort and can move for a big man. I think he is a HUGE upgrade on Sopoaga and can be a plug and play player.

As for our secondary: I think what we want to do is play with press coverage on the outside, with a floating FS and a prototypical in the box SS. We do not want teams to run the ball so I think Whitner still has value to this team as a true in the box safety. We just need to protect him in coverage. I think Culliver makes the move to FS. He can be a Devin McCouty type centerfielder for us.

If we want to talk about trading up for the BPA then we will wait and see how far Star Lotulelei falls. If he falls to the 12-14 range, I think we make a move to get him because the value will be there. I doubt Star falls to that range so Xavier Rhodes is a guy I would target and is a guy who can come in and start from day 1 and fit our system perfectly. 31 and 34 and maybe our Tarell Brown should be enough to move up to 12 to get Rhodes. The only way we make this move is if we feel that Culliver is our FS. Cosell recently said that he knows for a fact that the teams thinks they can upgrade on Tarell Brown. I think he may be the odd man. It would be between him and Rogers but I think Rogers offers more and is more versatile.

And we need a TE2. There are quite a few nice prospects but I think we move up to get the best blocker available and a very good receiving TE in Kelce. Much like Vernon Davis, Kelce has some maturity issues but both guys learned from their mistakes and are better because of them.

*Trade (1) #31, (1) #34 and Tarell Brown to Miami for the 12th overall
*Trade (2) #61, (3) #94 to San Diego for the 45th overall
*Trade (3) #74 and (4) #128 to Jacksonville for the 64th overall
*Trade (5) #157, (6) #173 and (6) #180 to Pittsburg for the 115th overall

As for all the trades…we only have 4 or 5 roster spots open and Baalke has said he wants his rookies to play. If we come out of the draft with a starting CB, a starting NT and a TE2, we would be set. We already have an extra 2 next year from KC and should get a boat load of comp picks as well.

Draft:

1. (12) CB Xavier Rhodes, FSU (6'2, 215, 4.5-40)

Big, physical corner. Perfect for our scheme. Would team with Nnamdi to form arguably the best 1-2 man to man press corner duo in the league right behind Seattle's duo.

2. (45) NT Jesse Williams, Alabama (6'3, 325, 4.92-40)

Extremely strong and powerful. Commands a double team but can move. He was the anchor of a dominant Alabama D and will provide an instant upgrade over Sopoaga. High character guy as well.

3. (64) TE Travis Kelce, Cincinatti (6'4, 255, 4.6-40)

Best blocker in the draft. Has the speed to get deep and has nice hands. Perfect TE2 for our team. Some off the field problems are a concern but we saw what happens first hand when a TE grows up. Kelce is a good one.

4. (115) CB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU (5'9, 175, 4.5-40)

This guy is an absolutely un-believably talented kid. He is a playmaker who forced more fumbles in 2 years than any LSU defender in school history and is tied for the all-time SEC FF lead with Guss Scott. He played in the best conference in the nation and was a standout on his team. He led his team in pass breakups with 7 as a freshman and wasn't even a starter. Patrick Peterson was on that team by the way. He ranked 4th in the nation in punt return yardage as a freshman. If this kid had his head on straight he would be a top 15 pick. We take the chance on this kid and watch him become a MAJOR playmaker for years to come. I think he will be an Antoine Winfield clone and the perfect replacement for Carlos Rogers in a year.

4. (131) WR Josh Boyce, TCU (5'11, 206, 4.38-40)

Big, productive and fast. 2535 yards, 22 TD's and 15.7 avg in 3 years.

7. (237) OLB Walter Stewart, Cincinatti (6'4, 265, 4.6-40)

This guy would have been a 1st round pick if not for his back condition. If he checks out he may go alot higher. But, like Cam Johnson last year, questions make talented players drop and Stewart is a very talented player. Plus, he has a non-stop motor and is a team captain and a great leader.

7. (246) DE Spencer Nealy, Texas A&M (6'5, 277)

Tough and versatile DL. Averaged 45 tackles and 2 sacks the past two years. Nice 3-4 DE prospect.

7. (252) OT Braden Brown, BYU (6'5, 310)

Athletic OT who was a former TE. With some coaching he may turn into a nice player. Hard worker and a team leader.

Roster

Offense: (25)

QB- Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien
RB- Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter, LaMichael James, Anthony Dixon
FB- Bruce Miller
WR- Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins, Josh Boyce
TE- Vernon Davis, Travis Kelce, Garrett Celek
OT- Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, Al Netter
OG- Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Joe Looney
OC- Jonathan Goodwin, Daniel Kilgore

Defense: (25)

DE- Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Glen Dorsey, Demarcus Dobbs
NT- Jesse Williams, Ian Williams
OLB- Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks, Parys Harlason, Darius Fleming
MLB- Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Dan Skuta, Michael Wihoite
CB- Nnamdi Asomougha, Xavier Rhodes, Carlos Rogers, Perrish Cox, Tyrann Mathieu
SS- Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman
FS- Chris Culliver, Craig Dahl, Trenton Robinson, Darcel McBath

Special Teams: (3)

K- Phil Dawson
P- Andy Lee
LS- Brian Jennings
KR/PR- Kyle Williams

That is a pretty deep and talented team if you ask me.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM ]
Not bad, but I'd still like a safety fairly early.
I would love this but would rather take a safety with 131. Would Philip Thomas or Rambo be available at 131?
You're trading our top 2 picks AND our best corner for a rookie that needs some technique work?? Can't say i'd bark up that tree.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
You're trading our top 2 picks AND our best corner for a rookie that needs some technique work?? Can't say i'd bark up that tree.

First thing....Brown being our best corner sums up how badly we need to address the position. Rhodes may need some refining but you cant teach size and speed.

Secondly, Brown is a free agent after the season and will most likely not be brought back. The team thinks they can upgrsde him and Rhodes is every bit as good but offers much higher potential and is a perfect fit for our scheme.

As for not taking a safety....we will move Culliver to his natural safety position and let him flourish like Devin McCourty did in New England after he switched positions.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by xela510:
I would love this but would rather take a safety with 131. Would Philip Thomas or Rambo be available at 131?

Highly unlikely.
  • kush
  • Veteran
I love Rhodes but I don't like the trade for Rhodes. You don't give Tarell Brown nearly enough credit. IMO he will do more to win football games for us in '13 than Rhodes would.
Originally posted by kush:
I love Rhodes but I don't like the trade for Rhodes. You don't give Tarell Brown nearly enough credit. IMO he will do more to win football games for us in '13 than Rhodes would.

I totally agree. We do not need a press corner like Rhodes. We have Culliver and Asomugha for press. Brown is our best all-around CB. He won't leave the field.

Our only CB need is to find an upgrade over Rogers in the slot. Mathieu is a good pick for this, but he won't be available in the 4th. I'm confident that we will pick either Mathieu or B.W. Webb at 61 or 74 to address this need.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by xela510:

Highly unlikely.

Yeah, neither of those guys will make it past the 3rd round.

Our late round picks will be spent trading up and filling in depth at OT and ILB.
Thoughtful piece, but we need 3 DLs, and have brot in only one. We need two and if we bring in 3, I won't be surprised. I wouldn't vote for your Tarrell trade, however.
Nice job on the rest, tho. A good draft is 3 starters, if not this yr then next. A great draft is 4 starters, most of them this yrs. Dallas has killed itself with having virtually no starters but one from last 3 or 4 drafts(I haven't looked that up recently, but heard it on a Dallas Sportstalk station). Our F.O. has the right approach and if draft only 5- 6 guys total, i wouldn't be surprised. I look for Baalke to move up wherever and whenever he can. If he could get us essentially all 2nd rounders, that would be one heckuva quality draft. To get the CB, S, we need, we are going to have to draft way up, and i think that is too far. We will probably get a good CB and S, but not big name, top flite guys. Of course, this is baalke we're talking about who landed Anquan about 20 minutes after he came on the market...so no way of knowing what the GM is going to do.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM ]
Highly speculative with all the trades, but I like your thinking and the players you've selected.

I agree with you on Tarell Brown. I don't trust him as much as some others do.I think that he's a "fragile" corner.

I'd really like the Niners to be able to get Tyrann Mathieu, But I'm afraid that he will be gone by the 115th pick and who he will go to will be the most distressing aspect of it. Seattle! He fits perfectly into their mold of player. A punk kid who'll be allowed to develop into a loud mouthed trash talker like the rest of their DBs. He'd be their perfect slot cover guy to go along with their big corners. A lethal combination. I think theSeattle goes for him in the third at the latest. From last year, we know that Seattle is not afraid to make unconventional moves. I HOPE THAT WE DO NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN if at all possible.

I like your Jesse Williams pick. A strong, versatile, high character guy, in an position of real need.

Like some of the others, I'd like to see some safety depth at #131.

Really nice speculation, though.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:

First thing....Brown being our best corner sums up how badly we need to address the position. Rhodes may need some refining but you cant teach size and speed.

Secondly, Brown is a free agent after the season and will most likely not be brought back. The team thinks they can upgrsde him and Rhodes is every bit as good but offers much higher potential and is a perfect fit for our scheme.

As for not taking a safety....we will move Culliver to his natural safety position and let him flourish like Devin McCourty did in New England after he switched positions.

Absolutely amazing how much we underrate Tarell Brown...a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Why because he isn't 6'3" 210?? Because he doesn't have 4.3 speed?? Give me a break man. The guy has been our most consistent defensive backfield player since the start of 2010. He excels in all aspects of coverage and is especially good in man. Yeah Julio Jones got him in the endzone...but who the hell doesn't Julio overpower??

How do you know we will move Cully to safety? If the team had intentions of him playing that position I am quite sure they would have made that known before free agency and would not have addressed him as a "future starter" at CB.

Once again...you are trading our top 2 picks AND our best cover man for an unproven rookie. And how in the world do you know Rhodes is every bit as good?? He hasn't taken one snap in pro football. Tarell Brown was a 1st round prospect before his off field issue at Texas before the Ohio State game back in 2007...so couple that with his NFL production and I don't see how Rhodes is "immediately" better than him. Dude is and has been a baller for us for the past 3 seasons.
[ Edited by reasonable1 on Apr 6, 2013 at 3:20 AM ]
agree
Besides we need the lower picks to keep our salary cap #s down.
I KNOW THE HIGHER PICKS ARE PAID LESS THAN BEFORE THE CBA. But not that much less. We are saving at least 3-4 million with the lower picks.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by juycho:
Besides we need the lower picks to keep our salary cap #s down.
I KNOW THE HIGHER PICKS ARE PAID LESS THAN BEFORE THE CBA. But not that much less. We are saving at least 3-4 million with the lower picks.

No, it is a lot less. The draft isn't the place where you worry about taking a player because of salary-cap. The lower pics have way less of a chance to even make the team.