There are 102 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

the draft the 49ers should consider long term and short term

trade pick#31 and 4th rounder 128 and next years 3rd round choice to bears for pick # 20

pick# 20 sheldon richardson DE or DT
a great pick up can play nose or DE will rotate out with justin smith and ray mcdonald and eventual justin smith replacement

pick# 34 jonathan cyprien SS or FS
a big hitter who will be donte whitners replacement next year at SS but this year he will start at FS but will also play SS

pick# 61 Da'Rick rogers WR
will get some time this year due to his playmaking ability to go deep and will be the #2 WR next year and will be a great compliment to Crabtree

pick# 74 david amerson FS
will play be in the rotation of safeties of him cyprien and whitner and wil be a great ed reed type of safety capable of creating turnovers and future starting FS

pick# 93 B.W. Webb CB
could be a future starting cornerbeack for the niners if carlos rogers is released after this year and tarrel brown is not resigned and also if nnamdi doesnt perform

pick# 131 mill brian winters OT/OG
would be a great back up to sit and watch a yr then contribute if anthony davis or joe staley leave for free agency

pick# 157 montoria hughes NT
could rotate in at NT and be a rotational lineman with smith, mcdonald, dorsey, richardson and willians then they can play a tradional 4-3 at times

pick# 175 dustin hopkins K
will be phil dawson's successor and he has a leg on him and can be another blair walsh

pick# 180 james wilson G
Not bad
Originally posted by greatnessjohnson:
trade pick#31 and 4th rounder 128 and next years 3rd round choice to bears for pick # 20

pick# 20 sheldon richardson DE or DT
a great pick up can play nose or DE will rotate out with justin smith and ray mcdonald and eventual justin smith replacement

pick# 34 jonathan cyprien SS or FS
a big hitter who will be donte whitners replacement next year at SS but this year he will start at FS but will also play SS

pick# 61 Da'Rick rogers WR
will get some time this year due to his playmaking ability to go deep and will be the #2 WR next year and will be a great compliment to Crabtree

pick# 74 david amerson FS
will play be in the rotation of safeties of him cyprien and whitner and wil be a great ed reed type of safety capable of creating turnovers and future starting FS

pick# 93 B.W. Webb CB
could be a future starting cornerbeack for the niners if carlos rogers is released after this year and tarrel brown is not resigned and also if nnamdi doesnt perform

pick# 131 mill brian winters OT/OG
would be a great back up to sit and watch a yr then contribute if anthony davis or joe staley leave for free agency

pick# 157 montoria hughes NT
could rotate in at NT and be a rotational lineman with smith, mcdonald, dorsey, richardson and willians then they can play a tradional 4-3 at times

pick# 175 dustin hopkins K
will be phil dawson's successor and he has a leg on him and can be another blair walsh

pick# 180 james wilson G

daniel jeremiah of nfl networks tells matt barrows he doesnt see richardson asa good fit in niners defense
i do, i think he has alot of ray mcdonald type qualities in him
I actually like this draft alot. Good job.
Not my ideal draft
For some weird reason I had a dream we drafted da'rick Rogers
Good draft. Amerson may not last that long though
Big Sheldon RIchardson fan. Only thing I don't see is him playing NT. Maybe it's because I haven't seen him play the position, but he'd be an absolute monster playing a DE in out 3-4 and DT in our nickle packages.

and i'm not sure if Amerson and Webb as still on the board when we pick there
[ Edited by SF69ers on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM ]
I am intrigued by the title of your thread and since I am still a new member, thus unable to post my own topic, I thought I might bring it up here as a subject of discussion and pick your brains.

Short Term Vs Long Term

To me, another way of putting it is Offense Vs Defense.

My premise is this :

1) I believe the 9ers' objective should be to "win now". If you look at the core of our roster, namely the key stars between the 2005-2007 draft class, namely Frank, Vernon and Patrick, they are already gradually ageing. In other words, our window has to be NOW.

2) I also believe the old adage of defense wins championships is somewhat passe. My view is no matter how stout your D is, when you play against great teams with a high-powered offense, they are still going to score on you. Case in point in the Falcons game, apart from ourselves even the Seahawks' secondary, arguably the best in the league now also got torched by Roddy White and Julio Jones.

3) Our offense has literally transformed to the point of being explosive ever since Kaep took over under center. In fact, for the very first time last season, I would argue our O actually carried our D in a number of games.

All of the above leads to think the way we approach this draft might need to be a bit more tactical as opposed to being strategic for the longer term. If we are simply want to maintain a competitive roster over time, then I agree we should draft evenly across the positions in need. But, if our sole objective is to "win now" as I am suggesting, I would argue we ought to place more empahsis towards the offensive side of the ball. My rationale is you need to put points on the board and ultimately outscore your opponents to win ball games. I think Kaep is really only a couple of weapons short to get us over the hump to bring home the big one.

Based on that premise, I would tackle the following priorty positions first at the top of the draft :

1) WR - We badly need a deep ball wideout to stretch the field in order to fully capitalize on Kaep's arm strength to make our offense even more explosive. With that in mind, I will pick Justin Hunter in the 1st.

2) TE - I wouldn't have placed tight end that high in priorty had we not lose Delanie in free agency. Plus, having seen the top TE prospects in the draft, it would be deadly if we could draft Zach Ertz in the 2nd. He is pretty much just as good as Eifert who will most likely be gone by the time you get to the 2nd.

After that, I think we can use all the remaining picks on defense to address all our needs such as D-line and secondary, starting with David Amerson in late 2nd since Eric Reid should have been gone by then.

I know the 9ers will not be doing that. I just thought I would bring it up as a discussion more than anything else. Any thoughts on my line of thinking ?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
For some weird reason I had a dream we drafted da'rick Rogers

If we draft him we can call you psychic.
I like what you're trying to do here but imo that trade is too unrealistic. It's short even on the value chart.