LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 220 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Updated Mock Draft

Going to go another round after the free agent signings, comp picks and trades have been figured in.

In this mock I have the 49ers trading out of the first round completely, I think having the second to last pick puts them in a nice position to trade back and still get a quality player while adding additional picks.

Trade-49ers trade down with Jets, trading #31 and acquiring Pick #39, Pick #106 and a 5th Round Pick in 2014.

49ers trade down again in the 2nd round, trading away #Pick 39 to the Cowboys for Pick #47, a 4th round pick next year and Dallas's pick #151 in the 5th round.

49ers trade up in the 2nd round, trading away #Pick 61, along with their 4th Round Pick#128 and Pick #180 to move up with the Miami Dolphins to #Pick 54.

2nd Round(Pick 34)-Eric Reid-Safety-LSU-The 49ers seem to have a lot of strong interest in him and he's a very talented player with a lot of potential to develop into a very good, even Pro-Bowl level NFL starter. I think this is a very straightforward and simple pick to make for the 49ers at this point in the draft.

2nd Round(Pick 47)-Brandon Williams-DT/NT-Missouri Southern-49ers get their future starter at NT, Brand Williams is a highly quality small school prospect, flashes tremendous athleticism at times, plays with a high motor, can both stop the run and pass rush, will be part of a quality NT tandem along with Ian Williams andGlenn Dorsey for the 49ers, eventually taking over as the starter.

2nd Round(Pick 54)-Quinton Patton-WR-Louisiana Tech-He's been my favorite for a long time now and the 49ers have shown interest in him, having met with him at both the Combine and his Pro Day. He's a tremendous prospect at wide receiver,having drawn comparisons to Reggie Wayne. He's not the biggest nor the fastest but he utilizes his quickness and route running skills to get open, he also had the lowest drop rate in college football this past season, so his hands are golden. He's an aggressive run blocker and a complete team player, very good character guy, hard worker, has #1 WR potential in the NFL.

3rd Round(Pick 74)-Travis Kelce-TE-Cincy-49ers have met and looked at a bunch of TE's this offseason which strongly indicates that they are not happy going into the season with just Davis and Celek. Kelce has drawn some comparisons to Rob Gronkowski, he's the total package as a tight end, a strong blocker, a very good receiver, solid dependable hands, there are character questions but he's done well to try and dispel them from everything I've seen. His brother is also in the NFL and plays for the Eagles. This is kind of a boom or bust pick, Kelce could very well end up being one of the better TE's in the NFL and a 2 TE set featuring Davis and Kelce could be lethal.

3rd Round(Pick 93)-Bennie Logan-DE/NT-LSU-This is additional defensive line depth. Logan has a ton of talent and good athleticism but is relatively raw. Having him on the roster allows for the 49ers to have a better overall DL rotation this upcoming season, he's the best quality defensive lineman available this point in the draft and a guy somewhat similar to RJF, although Logan plays with a much higher motor.

4th Round(Pick 106)-Terry Hawthorne-CB-Illinois-Another player the 49ers have shown interest in, a cornerback with good size and good athletic ability, had some downtime this season due to injury but is highly underrated and one of my biggest sleepers in this draft. He's similar to Culliver in that is very good in man coverage but doesn't necessarily have the greatest ball skills. Could be a future starter for the 49ers.

4th Round(Pick 131)-Duke Williams-FS-Nevada-While ultimately I see Reid as more of a strong safety in the NFL, Williams is a guy who bring strong man coverage skills, the 49ers have already had him in for a private workout and he's a high quality prospect, a good leader and has the ability to play both cornerback and safety, his versatile skills will be very welcome on this team.

5th Round(Pick 151)-Quanterus Smith-OLB-Western Kentucky-Explosive pass rusher coming off an ACL injury, would be a 3rd round at worst otherwise. Tremendous pass rush skills, great prospect to be a 3-4 OLB, would compete with Cam Johnson and Darius Fleming for a roster spot.

5th Round(Pick 157)-Cornelius Washington-ILB-Georgia-Sparingly used in college but has tremendous potential and is an athletic freak. 49ers will need someone to replace Larry Grant and Washington could be that guy to develop into a reliable backup and a key special teams performer.

6th Round(Pick 173)-Mark Harrison-WR-Rutgers-Tremendous athletic potential, huge receiver that can develop further as a WR or even become an H-Back player similar to Delanie Walker. Big and fast, could be thrown into the competition at WR and with his size, would be a very welcome threat in the redzone.

7th Round-Tanner Hawkinson-OT-Kansas-49ers need more depth at OT, Hawkinson provides that, could also develop into a future starter at right tackle should Anthony Davis not re-sign with the team.

7th Round-Chris Jones-DE-Bowling Green-Another one of my favorite small school sleepers, very good, dominating player that has the potential to be a quality 3-4 DE, would be thrown into the mix to fight for a roster spot.

7th Round-Baker Steinkuhler-DE-Nebraska-Ideal size for a 3-4 DE, brings nothing to the table as far as pass rush goes but is a hard-working, high motor player with NFL bloodlines. At this point in the draft, he's worth a look to bring in, allow him to fight for a roster spot or stash him on the practice squad.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM ]
Thats a lot of ifs. wouldnt mind it but highly unlikeley
Nice mock
I like it.
i like the mock but im not crazy with the Williams pick. IMO i don't think we will address in a NT that early in the draft.
Originally posted by Mann716:
i like the mock but im not crazy with the Williams pick. IMO i don't think we will address in a NT that early in the draft.

I think he'd be playing DE and NT to start.

I think they'd be nuts not to. This team has utilized band-aids at NT for far too long. Dorsey is just the latest in a line of band-aids. He's not a long-term solution whatsoever. I would have snagged Jesse Williams in the 1st but I feel for some reason, that he'll be gone, a guy that bright, with that potential and really no obvious weaknesses may not make to 31. Brandon Williams is the next best thing, huge ceiling, ideal size for the position unlike Ian Williams, a high motor, experience at both NT and DE, just a very good all-around prospect that the 49ers could develop into a high quality starter.

I see NT and safety as the two biggest needs for this team entering the draft and Brandon Williams is a good guy for addressing the NT position with, I think Tomsula could work wonders with his natural talent and physical size.
When did Washington become a ILB I thought he was OLB? ?? Not to sure Washington last that long N i not bad a solid B
What are the reasons that Eric Reid's future is seen at SS by some? I don't see him having a problem playing the FS spot, and haven't seen any analysts suggesting otherwise. On the contrary, I have seen it reported that at his pro day he had shown some as much fluidity in the hips as any player at the position in this draft.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
What are the reasons that Eric Reid's future is seen at SS by some? I don't see him having a problem playing the FS spot, and haven't seen any analysts suggesting otherwise. On the contrary, I have seen it reported that at his pro day he had shown some as much fluidity in the hips as any player at the position in this draft.

His strength is his hitting and tackling, he's got decent coverage skills but he's similar to Goldson in that regard, good enough, but not great. At strong safety he would be terrific in coverage for that position. I see Duke Williams as someone who can develop into a quality starting free safety, a guy who is physical enough to handle tight ends and with the speed and quickness to hang with smaller slot receivers.

Brandon Williams is one of my favorite players in this draft. I wouldn't mind taking him at the top of the 2nd. I feel like he could have a BJ Raji affect
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock

Your stock response.....................but I agree, player wise.

I think it's hard to predict that many trades IMO, but they appear reasonable. One thing is for sure, the Niners will be a power player in this draft.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Apr 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM ]
Why not Cyprien over Reid?

I agree. Unless it's more of a hybrid type like Jessie Williams who has played some DE. Love Kelce. He's my draft crush and can improve on what Delaine started last year. Hard to bring down after the catch and is a great blocker with better hands.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Why not Cyprien over Reid?

Reid is the guy. More athletic. With the new rules, you have to be able to cover.
Share 49ersWebzone