LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 129 users in the forums

Being Trent Baalke

This is a 2 day mock of what I think Trent Baalke will do given last two years trend.

The number pick is not necessarily the exact one as I know we may have to trade up for one or two but its a rough guide to who I think he's targeting.

Baalke loves surprising folk with his alternative draft board: he's always looking at next year, while we all think NT and Safety are going to be top drafted I think he'll be looking at the free agents he has next year and getting their replacements ready.

I think NT will be taken by Ian Williams and FS will be taken by Trent Robinson.

All vids are worth watching but if you get bored or can't be bothered just watch the last one.

Trent - http://youtu.be/_tGXpEjS_AA (some of those picks are immense)

Also do you really believe Goldson is one or two wins better than Robinson. I really don't, I think Robinson will step in now and doing a decnt enough job, Dahl is just insurance to push him harder in camp and let Robinson focus only FS only and not ST.

#31 - Keenan Allen: WR (may need to trade upto get him)

Replacing - Crabtree

Yes a WR to all the receiver first round haters. Lets be honest negotiating with Crabtree is going to be a nightmare. We all like to think he's going to want to stay but I think we all know deep down he'll want mega mega bucks, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants Megatron cash.

Keenan will be our no.1 Wide receiver as of 2014 and take plenty of snaps in 2013. Huge upside to easily make a no.1 receiver, good hands, great YAC, quick feet and good build.

Crabtree and Boldin will be off for a couple of comp picks for 2015

http://youtu.be/sskHoNba-JE

#34 Sylvester Williams: DT/DE (should fall to this spot)

Replacing - Justin Smith

Yes he can play 3-4 defensive end and has a year as backup to get better.

Smith is 34 and will probably still get starter money elsewhere which we won't be willing to pay at his age.

Williams will be bled into the Defense like Aldon was, quick, aggressive and will only get stronger.

What I like most about him is the same thing he has in common with J.Smith, I imagine him with big grin on his face every snap.

http://youtu.be/wl-6hpChpJ0

#61 Vance Mcdonald TE (erm, hopefully will land here)

Replacing - Delanie Walker

Definite starting no.2 TE this year, he's Delanie Walker with vertical threat. All rounder "Swiss army knife", good blocker, played WR, drops catches whats not to love. Good upside most likely won't reach the level that Vernons on but will surpass the level Delanies on.

Watch the video and imagine the fun Roman would have with this guy on the field.

http://youtu.be/tQq9Z4-TcC4

#74 Jordan Poyer CB (should easily be here)

Replacing - Tarrell Brown or Rodgers or Asomough

Lets be honest we have no idea who'll beat out who this year but we have 2 going out of contract and unless Rodgers performs to 2011 ability we won't want him.

Poyer is kind of a Tarrell Brown mark 2, not the biggest at 6,0 and not the fastest either, but his play was better than his combine. Very intelligent reads receivers and quarterbacks very well and could really help getting that awesome turnover stat back. 11 interceptions in 2 seasons and would get a full year learning the NFL way.

http://youtu.be/nW4FFPbckOI

#93 Zeke Motta SS (hoping he lands at this spot)

Replacing Donte Whitner

I really think this guy could beat Whitner out of camp this year. I know he's a rookie but he really has something about him. Sort of Bruce Millerish. Tough as f**k, good coverage, good tackling this guy is gonna be something special.

http://youtu.be/L67aAIR5a4w

http://youtu.be/fA93YZdWBKE

http://youtu.be/RZuZ4USRJBM

Crabtree, Boldin, J.Smith, Tarrell Brown, Rodgers and Asomough are all coming into contract years with their replacements hopefully breathing down their neck.

Players always step up their game when its contract year, drafting this way will push them harder this year so they can get paid next year.

Agree or don't agree you'll look back on this in a month and go "damn"
[ Edited by smithc28 on Apr 4, 2013 at 3:27 AM ]
Yea uummm h*ll to tha no ...
Well said and thought out,imo. Somethin like this could go down with TB &co....
Oh I see what you did here. Another mock draft disguised under a creative thread title. And here I thought you had made the sequel to Being John Malkovich.
I wouldn't mind K Allen at all
Originally posted by smithc28:

#61 Vance Mcdonald TE (erm, hopefully will land here)

Replacing - Delanie Walker

Definite starting no.2 TE this year, he's Delanie Walker with vertical threat. All rounder "Swiss army knife", good blocker, played WR, drops catches whats not to love. Good upside most likely won't reach the level that Vernons on but will surpass the level Delanies on.

Watch the video and imagine the fun Roman would have with this guy on the field.

http://youtu.be/tQq9Z4-TcC4

Bolded, think you answered your own question with this statement. Knock on McDonald is that he drops catchable balls to much. People hated Delanie for doing the same thing. Why would we love that McDonald does that also?
I agree resigning Crabtre will be a b***h. Getting a potential replacement is smart.

I see Justin finishing his days here and I like Sly Williams.
I hope to god the 9ers keep & resign Terell Brown, outside of Bowman,Willis & Aldon ,hes our best defender
Makes me laugh you picked Zeke Motta and said "good in coverage" and have him going in the 3rd. Most sites I've seen have him going 5th at the highest and more in the 6-7th round.

Weaknesses according to different sites:
WEAKNESSES: Better when facing the quarterback than with his back turned. Was rarely challenged over the top due to Notre Dame's terrific pass rush, hiding a lack of ideal hip fluidity and straight-line speed. Consistently tackles high and though he generally wraps both arms, can see his efforts slip away as stronger backs continue to churn their feet.

Compares to: Craig Dahl, SS, St. Louis Rams

WEAKNESSES Straight-line speed and change of direction ability questionable. Could be challenged by NFL receivers downfield. Does not have range to be a single-deep threat and lacks great closing speed to to make a play against multiple vertical routes. Has not made many plays in coverage. Needs to prove he can track the ball in the air to knock passes away without interfering and make the moderate-to-difficult interceptions. Often in a deep position, needs to show scouts he can flip his hips open to run with receivers downfield.

NFL COMPARISON Eric Smith

The postseason hasn't really been any better. Motta had a mixed performance at the East-West Shrine and ran the slowest 40 time of any safety at the Combine. For the NFL, he looks like a backup safety and a special teams contributor. Motta lacks ball skills and play-making ability. He is best in run support near the line of scrimmage.

His speed really limits him at the next level (slower than Manti Te'o, even), and while he is explosive and can hit people, I'm not sure he's a full-time starter at safety in the NFL. He was really exposed by Alabama in the national championship game. He is going to be a key special teams player probably and will be in a safety rotation for some team, but I think you can snatch him up in the later rounds and get a guy who can be a key contributor rather than a full-time starter.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock initially pegged Motta as a top-five safety in the 2013 draft class. He's more likely to be about the 10th or 12th safety drafted. Motta struggles in coverage.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Bolded, think you answered your own question with this statement. Knock on McDonald is that he drops catchable balls to much. People hated Delanie for doing the same thing. Why would we love that McDonald does that also?

But we also loved Delanie and working on catching is coachable and he does everything else you need.

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Makes me laugh you picked Zeke Motta and said "good in coverage" and have him going in the 3rd. Most sites I've seen have him going 5th at the highest and more in the 6-7th round.

Weaknesses according to different sites:
WEAKNESSES: Better when facing the quarterback than with his back turned. Was rarely challenged over the top due to Notre Dame's terrific pass rush, hiding a lack of ideal hip fluidity and straight-line speed. Consistently tackles high and though he generally wraps both arms, can see his efforts slip away as stronger backs continue to churn their feet.

Compares to: Craig Dahl, SS, St. Louis Rams

WEAKNESSES Straight-line speed and change of direction ability questionable. Could be challenged by NFL receivers downfield. Does not have range to be a single-deep threat and lacks great closing speed to to make a play against multiple vertical routes. Has not made many plays in coverage. Needs to prove he can track the ball in the air to knock passes away without interfering and make the moderate-to-difficult interceptions. Often in a deep position, needs to show scouts he can flip his hips open to run with receivers downfield.

NFL COMPARISON Eric Smith

The postseason hasn't really been any better. Motta had a mixed performance at the East-West Shrine and ran the slowest 40 time of any safety at the Combine. For the NFL, he looks like a backup safety and a special teams contributor. Motta lacks ball skills and play-making ability. He is best in run support near the line of scrimmage.

His speed really limits him at the next level (slower than Manti Te'o, even), and while he is explosive and can hit people, I'm not sure he's a full-time starter at safety in the NFL. He was really exposed by Alabama in the national championship game. He is going to be a key special teams player probably and will be in a safety rotation for some team, but I think you can snatch him up in the later rounds and get a guy who can be a key contributor rather than a full-time starter.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock initially pegged Motta as a top-five safety in the 2013 draft class. He's more likely to be about the 10th or 12th safety drafted. Motta struggles in coverage.

You know everyone has different views on where players will be picked ranging from 3rd to 6th round. I just like this guy and his names Zeke.

Originally posted by highway49:
Well said and thought out,imo. Somethin like this could go down with TB &co....

Thanks I was going more for how the draft will go down than who will be picked. I don't believe a starting nose and a starting FS will be chosen in the first 3 rounds. My picks are more just alternative ones that seem less chosen on mocks drafts. Some seem like reaches some will be roughly where they will fall

I really like what you did here.

One thing we've seen from Baalke: he's not necessarily going to do the simplistic, expected things that the talking heads are predicting.

He always seems to have some plan of attack that he follows through with, that he's able to execute.

Then he catches a bunch of flack on this board because he didn't do all the stuff that everyone expected.

It seems easy enough to pick out a potential weakness or "need" and then pick the highest ranked guy of choice to fill that need, without any thought for the bigger picture of the direction the team is heading, the coaching philosophy, and the need to prepare for the future.

I have no idea if your scenario is similar to what Baalke is planning, but it does show that there are entirely different ways to plan for the draft, and that a really smart GM may be thinking way ahead of the rest of us. Its fun to try to figure out what Baalke's planning.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone