Originally posted by 9moon:Justin Smith was a 4-3 DE at Missouri, look how well he turned out. With the kind of defense we have, we can (should) target a player that will help us now and be an awesome player in the future.
You guys are getting caught up w/ the combine and all those none sense stop watches.. Have you guys seen this this guy play all last year??
Why in the world are we gonna move up for Xavier Rhodes?? We're loaded at the secondary position, why waste a 1st rounder on a fast guy that can't even cover.
I have a need to address your points:
- If you're suggesting that Werner play DE in our system I think you're mis-projecting him. Justin Smith is freakishly strong. Even for NFL defensive linemen he's in a league of his own. Werner is about 20 pounds too light for the very very minimum weight for that position. He's about 40 lbs too light for the ideal weight. He's simply not big enough, and asking him to play that role would be a mis-use of his current skill set.
- If you see him as a 3-4 OLB then he would be only a situation pass-rusher, as we have 2 elite level starting players at the position. I'm all for drafting such a player. The first round is a bit of a reach given our other needs, but for the right player it's worth it. But trading up 20 spots? Your'e suggesting using both of our top 35 picks and possibly our other 2nd round pick. For a player that will play no more than 40% of snaps? We just lost a safety, we have other needs.
- Moving up (significantly up, not just a few spots to land the player that you want) was studied recently by harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com, and shown to be a bad idea. Teams over-value their ability to draft, and end up making the wrong move more often than not. Leveraging so much capital knowing that the odds are stacked against you is usually not a winning football strategy (for every RGIII there's a Mark Sanches, and for every Julio Jones there's a Ricky Williams).
- Please explain why you believe Xavier Rhodes can't cover. Watch him match up against DeAndre Hopkins (my favorite player in this draft) and then tell me he can't cover.
- We're loaded in the secondary? Nnamdi has a 1 year deal and we don't know what we have in him. Rogers had a down year and is not likely to be back next year at his salary. Brown is in his contract year, and Culliver had another up and down year. The other 2 CBs on the team are simply bad. We don't have a starting FS, and Whitner had a very poor year in terms of coverage. This is likely his last year with the team. What about that group makes us "loaded"? Oh, and we couldn't cover ANYONE in the playoffs.
- Please remove Kwan Short from your mock (at least once).
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Apr 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM ]